What to flush radiator with that won't damage freezeplugs?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What to flush radiator with that won't damage freezeplugs?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 10:29 am:

In hindsight, put a lot of vinegar, line away, laundry soda, etc in previous T cooling system to flush out junk and it worked like a charm. A week later, sure enough, freeze plug broke through. Seems the only thing holding them together was the rust that I removed. Not a deal breaker, I've got the cinkles, but is that a better solution to flush the cooling sytem that won't attack the freeze plugs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 10:36 am:

I've got the cinkles

What are they?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 10:50 am:

Nickles?

Hi Robert,

You sort of answered your question when you stated: "Seems the only thing holding them together was the rust that I removed." The freeze plugs themselves may not have been dissolved by the chemicals you used.

If a layer of rust was the only thing retaining the coolant and you remove that rust, well, umm, er, you have a leak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 11:01 am:

Replace all of the steel plugs with brass ones from the vendors, or nickles.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG87.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 11:21 am:

I know it's early, but what I'm hearing is flush my system with the strongest stuff that makes sense and then herd the buffalos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 11:45 am:

Correct. The steel ones will rust out. Nickel or brass will outlast you, and probably the rest of the car too. Some people put the plugs in bare and have no leaks, but I add a bit of Ultra Black. Heed my note about what NOT to use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Walker on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

Neat trick with the buffalo nickels, Steve! Thanks!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration