Brake backing plate rubs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Brake backing plate rubs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 02:48 pm:

So i noticed today on my 26 touring that the rear drums hang up significantly on the brake backing plates. Both sides with four different drums tested. Am I correct to assume that over the years, possibly with the weight of the rear resting on it, being dropped, etc, while out of the car, these could be out of round? Is it worth the effort to try to grind them or should I just get a couple new ones?
Getting closer to putting this thing on the road!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 02:51 pm:

Try bending the backing plates out some or add a shim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 02:55 pm:

Now I'm thinking it's the brakes. New linings. Any ideas? When I got the car, the previous owner didn't have the brakes installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 03:55 pm:

First thing, take off the shoes. If it still rubs, it is something other than the shoes. Also Have you replaced the bearings or bearing sleeves? If the sleeves are greatly worn the drums could rub at the bottom when the car is running, however not so likely to rub when the wheels are off the ground. It is important to find out where the wheels are rubbing before doing any work. Try a tapered shim on the axle shaft. If it stops rubbing, your hub and axle end are worn. If it is the circumference of the brakes you might need to try to find out where it is rubbing and grind off a small amount of lining.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 07:53 pm:

You may need to add axel shims.... the drums may be too close to the e-brake shoes. Are the drums flush with the backing plate ? or do they go beyond the backing plate ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 08:15 pm:

Rick;
Suggestion, with something like this it is best to keep everything in one string. :-)
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/774528.html?1500847969

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 08:17 pm:

Thanks Mark. Once I eliminated the backing, tried to focus on the brakes!! Once again, many were helpful and the problem has been solved!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration