E brake lining rubbing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: E brake lining rubbing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 03:07 pm:

Upon further inspection, it looks like the new brake lining is actually rubbing. The previous owner didn't have the brake installed. Is it normal to have to do some grinding on the new brake liners? The hang up is significant. If so, what's the best technique to use?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 03:18 pm:

It can't be too bad, or you wouldn't have been able to put the wheels on.

Paint the surface of the linings with bluing or a magic marker, then turn the drums and see where the bluing gets rubbed off. Then dress down those areas with a dual action sander. Do it outdoors and with eye protection and a mask, don't get the dust in your lungs or eyes! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 03:20 pm:

Thanks mark!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 06:12 pm:

I use a big rasp file to trim the linings. Mark, fit, file. Mark, fit, file. Be careful to not furrow the surface of the lining by changing the angle you draw the file. A large finer file for the finish.
I prefer a file over a sander because it is less prone to throwing the lining dust into the air. A sheet of newspaper on the ground can catch nearly all the filings to be disposed of carefully.
That is my way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 08:33 pm:

Are the hub brake bands original or reproduction ?
Seems to have been an issue with the repro ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 10:45 pm:

Reproduction. They were in with parts that came with the car. Should last awhile, I have the transmission brake plus Rocky Mountain brakes but with what I hear about wet weather, I figured I'd better get the e-brake going as well.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration