Man, Is that cool

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Man, Is that cool
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 03:53 pm:

I took the new to me 26 roadster for a short 10 mile drive today. I noticed that the motometer was not registering at all. I just thought maybe it was broke. There was plenty of water in the radiator and more than enough engine heat coming from the floor. Even though it is a retentively cool day today the temp is still 89. Cool for this area. I drove the car into the garage and grabbed a rag to pull off the motometer and darned if it wasn't all that hot. The car has a period correct waterpump but I could not believe that it moved enough water to not allow the car to warm up! I almost hate to take it out as I'm sure its from the 20's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 05:12 pm:

Hi Will,

As much as we don't our Ts to run too hot, too cool is not good either. At Normal Operating Temperature an engine will deliver good power and good fuel economy; you get less of both on either side of N.O.T.

I suppose that you could leave the pump on and put a short/small radiator blind on the car in an effort to raise the coolant temperature.

Or install a thermostat.

Or pull the pump.

Good luck with your project, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 05:14 pm:

Will - I'm just probably the first to suggest that you take off the water pump and see what happens without it! I'm thinking that the engine was hot, but the radiator was not. As far as the "period correct" water pump, there were dozens and dozens of them, ranging anywhere from somewhat effective in cooling, to not effective at all, or, even downright restrictive!

Will, you've been on this forum long enough (I enjoy your posts) long enough to know that you have just "re-opened" the ol' "water pump debate"! Okay,....get ready,.....here it comes!!! Ha,ha,.....harold (:^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 05:15 pm:

Ooops! Sorry Bill,....we were typing at the same time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 05:54 pm:

Are you willing to trade some of your cool for some of my hot?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 05:56 pm:

Fred,

Will's wife is a very good woman - I have met her & sampled her cooking .... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 05:58 pm:

Hey Bill !

How's the weather in Keene ?

Hot as Hades here in Texas ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 06:13 pm:

love my water pump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 06:42 pm:

I plea not guilty to the charge! That said, I might check to see if the radiator is flowing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

Be careful FJ--

We are talking about water temperatures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 07:23 pm:

I didn't realize that happened when it is 89. It happened to me when I had my first T. But it was cold, probably around 40 but feels colder when driving in an open car. We took a rest stop and I noticed the other drivers were standing in front of their radiators to keep warm. Ours was cold. The water pump kept the engine from warming up and we had even been traveling uphill. Anyway the pump was on the shelf for many years along with another which was on another T which I bought later and one which came in a bunch of parts I bought from someone who was cleaning out their garage. I took all 3 to the "white elephant" sale which our club has annually. Someone else bought them.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

Fred,

I was talking about water temperatures whilst cooking on the stove .....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 08:38 pm:

FJ

Whew. At 72 years old I get confused about the subject sometimes.

Your either talking about boiled eggs or oatmeal - AKA gruel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

Fred,

Look in the dictionary under confused and you will see my picture ......

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 06:41 am:

Will Copeland, I think the easiest way would be to buy a: Etekcity Lasergrip 800 Digital Infrared Thermometer Laser Temperature Gun Non-contact -58℉ - 1382℉, they sell for less than $30.00 and are very handy to have in your garage. I use mine all the time to check the radiator, engine head, exhaust, rear axle and brake drums. Hope you find this helpful.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 08:41 am:

Thanks Warren, I had the same idea, I bought one yesterday. If I get time today Im going to check it. Im thinking it either a plugged radiator of the water jackets in the block are full of rust. Im kinda hoping its the block, an easier fix.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration