Is this a T gas tank?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Is this a T gas tank?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 05:46 pm:

I have limited experience with these. This is out of the 27 Depot Hack, so the tank is not original to the rest of the rolling chassis. Did find the frame number and it does match the engine number, kinda neat.
Any, this oval tank is mounted to boards and then mounted to the frame under the hack front seat. The seat bottoms are split and the passenger side lifts up to fill the tank. The fill cap is approx. 6" from passenger side of tank to center of fill hole. But, the glass bowl fuel filter set up is threaded into the bottom of the tank that is 8" from the drivers side on the bottom, which means the fuel line has to run from the drivers side of the tank to the carb. I'm replacing the rubber line with brake line and corrent fittings. The tank needs some boiling out and sealing and I don't want tospend time and money on a tank that is out of a Willys Whippet or something.

Is this at least a Model T oval tank? Not really oval as it is perfectly flat on the top and the bottom.

I'll hang up and listen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 06:02 pm:

Appears not to have same embossing or size

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 09:22 am:

Robert -- Apparently that tank is "out of a Willys Whippet or something." You can spend time and money trying to get that one to work dependably, and you might or might not get it to work well. Or you can buy a new one which will give you no problems. When I get a "new" model T, I always figure on buying a new radiator and gas tank. Bob's had some in stock at a good price last time I checked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 09:56 am:

Mike, this is why I posted. If this is not "correct" then why spend time and money making it work. I'll have to do some careful measureing. This tank was a bear to get out from under the set and I think Bubba had it mounted on these support blocks for a reason. A new correct round or oval tank might not fit.
It is rust inside, but holds gas and the glass sediment bowl has a screen filter in it that looks solid. I may do the muriatic acid rinse out, reinstall it and run a solid fuel line and then revisit this tank when I pull the body off this winter for restoration.

The more I felt the flattened top and bottom, I knew this was not a tue oval tank.

I agree with your strategy and will probably pull the radiator and take it and this tank to the radiator shop and have them both boiled out at the same time. I need to see if the radiator is a 3 tank or a 5 tank and a new radiator and gas tank maybe on the Christmas list.

Thanks, all.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration