Extra stepped washer next to differential?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Extra stepped washer next to differential?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 09:46 pm:

I have the stepped washer/bushing that went against the differential, before the steel thrust washer. You can see the totally gone washer index stun next to it.

I Don't remember seeing that 4th the part blow-ups...???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Sunday, July 23, 2017 - 09:47 pm:

Don't remember seeing it IN the part blow-up photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 10:53 am:

Pictures??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 01:30 pm:

Hmmm... Guess it didn't make the cut!! LOL...

I'll try again...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 04:41 pm:

Dennis,

What item are you referring to? The thin washer on the left, the thicker washer next to it, or the shiny, wider, stepped down diameter at the back of the differential carrier?

I suspect that the boss on the back of the carrier got worn away and this was someone's "fix" for that situation. May not be a bad fix. Hard to say without more pics and a better understanding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 06:06 pm:

That ring in my hand, over the axle before it enters the differential. I rhink it played against the differential, under the steel thrust washer with the two 'keeper' holes. Then the (disintegrated) babbit thrust washer, then the 2nd steel one.

In my case, going from the outside of the axle, toward the diff.... the 2 steel washers were back-to-back, then this stepped washer, then the differential.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 06:08 pm:

The ring in my hand fits over the round boss that extends from the diff (That appears to have the copper/bronze coloring).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 08:22 pm:

Correction... there is no boss stocking up from the differential.... That is the 'head's of the axle it fits over. It appears to help the first steel shim.... and maybe the babbit - now - bronze thrust washer centered, so it Doesn't rub on the axle. No such thing on the large side of the diff.... but it DOES have a boss extending from the diff that does the same thing.

I'll go looking for differential halves to see if the small side SHOULD have one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 08:36 pm:

Well... it looks like I am in need of at least the small side of the diff halves. :-( apparently, there should be a significant boss/flange where mine is flat!!

Here's a pic I swiped from another forum diff rebuild thread....

768392.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

I think once the retaining pin sheared off, the inside steel thrust washer wobbled enough to cut that flange right off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 12:35 am:

I think what you are referring to is the differential CASE. Most of the late ones only have one pin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 12:52 am:

Yes. The thrust washer closest to the differential came loose and cut off the shoulder of the differential over time. You need to replace the small half of the differential.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By The Head Light Lens Guy in California on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 01:58 am:

I am glad to see my rebuild photo log is coming in handy for you. Chaffin's Garage sells them for $50. Don't ask how I know:-)

Matthew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 08:28 am:

The washer and bushing in your hand look too small. As if someone cut them down to fit inside the pins. Those pins look like they extend out too far also. The pins should not extend past the washer. The washer should have two holes and is placed over and kept from spinning by the pins.

(Message edited by kskopsky on July 25, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 09:19 am:

Matthew ..... Glad you posted here as well .... need to give credit where credit is due! Thanks for your disassembly-assembly log ... it WAS very helpful!

Thanks Mark ... I believe you are exactly right. Was quite surprising. I had to put both axles back in and compare. Took me a while to convince myself that what I thought was a washer was just remnants of the casting!

Stephen ... no pins too long in that photo ... the one pin on the diff housing was sheered off flat. And what I THOUGHT was a washer, was what was left of the flange that is supposed to stick out about 1/4" from that housing..... should be part of the casting. It too, wash sheered off. Interesting, that I would assume the only thing that could do that would be the inside steel washer that was supposed to have been held in place by the missing pin, but it didn't appear to have any evidence of abrasion on the inside diameter surface.

In retrospect ... that 'washer', I had to pry off. I most likely just broke the sliver of a ring of the remaining casting. It popped off one side and stuck to the other. It was very sharp on the inside when I pulled it off, so was just hanging on by a thread.

(Local) Tom Butterworth has come to my rescue again, and has a spare housing on hand! Whoot! Whoot!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration