Reassembling the car 1919 Touring.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Reassembling the car 1919 Touring.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 01:29 pm:

I have installed the rear wheels (30 x 3.5) and bolted the frame to the springs. The frame appears to sit way to high. It is 29" at rear and 28.5" at front. I have 19.5" to top of running board brackets. Is it possible to install the spring shackles wrong. I know the front will go down about an inch when I put the front wheels on and get it off the jack stands. It will also go down with the engine in and the body on. But I fear it may not go down enough. Can someone tell me what the height should be. I have attached a couple of photos. Hopefully someone can tell me what I have done wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 03:30 pm:

I doubt anything is wrong, the chassis just doesn't have the weight of the engine and body on it yet.

Here is a picture of the chassis. It doesn't show the exact dimension you're looking for, but perhaps you can scale it from some of the other dimensions that are there. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 04:44 pm:

Mark is correct, the chassis will be high up until the leaf springs can compress with engine and body weight and more when tires are on and sitting on level surface.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 05:55 pm:

That diagram shows a dimension of 11" from the center of the rear axle to the top of the frame, and 10" in front. As the others have said, it will be higher than that with no weight on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 08:37 pm:

William: You have a great project ahead of you. Go slow and do it right and make it safe. I would say get a safe rolling chassis and then go from there. On my '19 I skipped around and wish I would have known then what I know now, boy things would have been different. When I did my Depot Hack I got the chassis done then the engine and then the body. I did not build the body but ass3embled it. So as I said make it safe and enjoy the "T" as they can be a hand full of fun and headaches as most will tell you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 09:10 pm:

I would take the time and build the rear axle and work out all of bugs and as stated above get it in good drivable shape and then go for it. Great project...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 10:14 am:

After you get it driveable, a couple of bumps will help it settle in. Hang in there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart, Edwards, NY on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 10:26 am:

Thanks for all the help and encouragement. I am relieved to hear that there is not a major problem.
I started this project 3 years ago and have rebuilt the rear axle following Glen Chaffin's book. it has new bronze thrust washers, new axle sleeves and modern seals. I reused the axle bearings. The front axle has new bushings. The rear wheels were rebuilt by Noah Stutzman. The front wheel spokes are solid and tight, cleaning and painting is being done. The body has been restored, not by me. I haven't touched the engine but will be starting that soon. I would like to
see the body sitting on the frame but I think it will be easier to install the engine first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 11:26 am:

Engine first is how they did it in the factory. The service manual has a chapter listing in order all the steps in assembling the Model T.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration