Looking into purchasing a speedster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Looking into purchasing a speedster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By PAUL WILLIAMS on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 01:59 pm:

Looking for a ballpark value on this speedster? Thanks in advance!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 02:29 pm:

When it comes to placing a value on a speedster, the value is essentially based on the sum of the parts. Speed equipment and accessory parts are valuable and are a large factor in determining the value of a speedster. From what I can see, this vehicle has a V-shaped, brass radiator which is probably the most valuable part on the car so far. Is the engine stock or does it have any speed equipment? Does it have a Ruckstell or other accessory transmission? Basically, if you provide better detailed photos of under the hood, etc, it will be easier to access a value.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 02:31 pm:

Year? Drivetrain condition? Running or not? Title? The status of all these go into the value.

I don't know the value, but I love the patina. I'd keep it just like it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By PAUL WILLIAMS on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 02:37 pm:

Hello and thankyou very much for the response! I'm very new to this therefore I do not know much about what all speed equipment it has. I think the engine is stock and not sure about which transmission it has. I don't have any other pictures at this time. If I do buy it I will post more. Just looking for a guesstimate on a price if possible if say it's all stock? Sorry to be so uneducated on these but you have to start somewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By PAUL WILLIAMS on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 02:39 pm:

Thank you my plans are to leave it just like it is. 1910 in non running condition at this time. Yes there is a title.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By PAUL WILLIAMS on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 02:41 pm:

One other photo I have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 02:54 pm:

No hubcap, painted brass lamps, not running so no idea how much work the engine needs. Maybe 6K???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 03:39 pm:

In my opinion, that isn't a very impressive speedster but there are some very valuable pieces on it:

- radiator as someone stated earlier

- Rushmore headlamps that appear to have diverging lenses. (Those are high end lamps that really belong on a more expensive/substantial car. They are also too large for a Ford. They appear to be in very good to excellent condition. If you buy the car, you could very easily sell those lamps and get a nice pair of 1913/14 Ford lamps and correct forks and have plenty of money left over.)

- carbide generator - not as valuable as above but worth money

If it has a 1916 or earlier motor, that would be worth something.

The seat of the car is very home-made/plain jane.

Don't pay too much.

(Message edited by Erik_johnson on July 24, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 03:42 pm:

Nice radiator, lights, and a start on a body. With a couple torpedo rear fenders,a torpedo fuel tank, some dropped springs (reversed eye), and fresh paint/polish provided its running I would be surprised if it didn't sell for over 10k on ebay. As for the actual value well . . .

Speedsters are valued on a few bits
Brass = money
Great body = money
driveline = money

On this one the driveline is unknown the body is poor but it has brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 03:50 pm:

PS: after I posted the above, I saw that you referred to the car as a 1910.

Note that there is nothing shown in the photos that is 1910 Ford.

As far as not running the car: chances are you should be able to get that car running in very short order unless there has been a major mechanical failure that will prevent the car from being started.

If the current owner does not have the car running, that actually reduces the price, in my opinion. Not being able to hear the motor or drive the car can be a crap shoot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 04:01 pm:

As a T it is a mishmash, as mentioned there is no sign of anything 1910. Other than the radiator and non ford lights it is really pretty plain. I wouldn't think it worth over 5-6k in current condition, though I am usually wrong.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 04:34 pm:

Being a speedster, it's not too critical what year it's called. Agreed however, nothing 1910 showing.

I'll be bold and throw out a number; $4000 - $4500.00.
- Body is plain and not the best craftsmanship.
- Has some "patina", (good thing or bad thing? You decide)
- Really cool radiator, (it it's good).
- Nice lamps.
- Wrong era rear fenders.
- Stock drivetrain.
- Unknown mechanical condition
- Still, a pleasing overall appearance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 04:41 pm:

The real value of any brass era T is dependent on how many of the parts are correct year, or close.
That car? A few pieces may be okay for 1910? The radiator (as an after-market accessory, and a very desirable one), the headlamps, "bulb" horn, and basically nothing else.
The firewall/hood-former and front fenders appear to be about 1915 or '16. The bulk of the chassis is even later than that. The actual year of many of the engine parts makes a huge difference. An actual 1910 engine alone would be worth more than everything else there is worth. Even a real 1915 engine would add close to about a thousand dollars to the real value of a car like that.
That car? From all appearances, with a later engine (which is quite likely)? The 6K mentioned by Dave H should be fairly close. It would be about 1.5K less with a standard brass radiator and lamps.
Cars like this one should be purchased for fun, and the enjoyment of driving them, and maybe making them more correct. It is not a 1910. People that know what they are looking at will generally not be impressed favorably by a car like this. Except for the radiator. Many people would buy a car like this just for that radiator. I can't tell from the photos whether it is an original era radiator? Or a '50s/'60s repop. Either way, it would be desirable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 06:28 pm:

Paul;

I have no interest in this car; I'm currently working on my own project.

However, I'm happy to go with you to see this car and ascertain the year ranges of the various components and see how well it runs.

Let me know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 07:17 pm:

Cute vehicle!

Unless it runs like a jack rabbit it would make a great garage ornament.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 08:17 pm:

Looks like late spindles and front spring giving a little drop. Maybe the rear spring is bent to match? Anyways a wood bed would make a great little fun pickup and you wouldn't need any of the "speed bits" expected on a speedster or to go fast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Monday, July 24, 2017 - 10:10 pm:

Someone put a lot of work into and was probably proud of it and should have been. Love to own that radiator. Go spin it over and see if there's compression. It's still a good start. His car he needs to price it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert A Weitzel on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 12:45 am:

I'd agree make sure it spins over if running 5500 to 6500. Not running $4500.00 good luck It's like gambling

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration