Whitefish Montana tour Photos?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Whitefish Montana tour Photos?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 12:48 pm:

The joint MTFCA/MTFCI Tour in Montana had to have been a huge event, and from what little I've heard about it, a huge success. Wish I would have been a participant. Howscome we hear and see (pictures?) so little about it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 01:10 pm:

I posted some photos on the Facebook model t page. We're spending a week in Utah on the way home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

Harold

If you had a Warford and a Ruckstell (and many did) it was great. If you had a stock T you're probably too busy either changing bands or low speed drums

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 01:55 pm:

Scott - Thanks for the response! You said,....."If you had a Warford and a Ruckstell,....."

Did you mean if you had BOTH, or did you mean,..... if you had either a Warford, OR a Ruckstell?

I recently acquired a nice '26 Touring that has BOTH, a Warford and Ruckstell, which, quite frankly, I've thought that having BOTH is somewhat redundant, and a rather silly way to rebuild/restore a Model T. (Altho' it does make it safe, easy and convenient to be able to crawl at a "snail's pace" while loading the car onto a trailer!)

Anyway, my thought after reading your response Scott, was that maybe having a Warford and a Ruckstell isn't as silly as I thought! Have several minor issues to resolve before I drive it very much or very far, but it's really going to make a nice car.

Sounds like the "Going To The Sun Highway" in Glacier Park was pretty tough for the Model T's, huh? Thanks again Scott,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 02:48 pm:

Harold

you're welcome

there were quite a few 12 speed model T's on the tour...you understood right. Going to the Sun Highway wasn't probably too bad. However, he 6 - 9% 4 mile long road to the lodge separated the stock Ts from the modified Ts, in both philosophical and $$$ ways.

I quit while I was ahead...a first for me in 10+ years of touring. We chose to leave our $$$ in unused rooms rather than plowing it into a transmission rebuild.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 03:28 pm:

What was that wagons east movie? We came, we saw, we turned back. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn - Lincoln, NE on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 03:55 pm:

I have a Ruckstell and had no problems with any of the hills. Only needed the Ruckstell for about the last mile of the road to the lodge to go up and used it to come come back down. I used Ruckstell on the going to the "Going to the Sun" road because eastbound traffic was moving very slow. I went back over "Going to the Sun" from the east and used high Ford all of the way to the summit and shifted to Ruckstell to go down. Very little traffic going west. Going to the Sun Road is a lot of fun in a Model T, If you think about it, it was built for Model T type vehicles as the road was finished in 1932. There would have been many Model T's on the road at that time. Ruckstell axles were authorized by Ford for dealers to install and are also very period correct. I very much enjoyed driving in the mountains. With that said some people did have problems with their cars and the hills, questionable radiators make their problems visable, especially if over-revving in low gear. Most of the cars had no issues going up but some had to take it very slow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 04:33 pm:

Really getting tired of tours that require breaking my car to complete, (or attempt to complete). Haven't broken one yet however, but still...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

Jerry

I am with you. I haven't broken one yet, either, (but was given ample opportunity to do so last week). I presently have a friend's T sitting dead in his trailer on my property in WY while he tours western US via motorcycle for another week. Highly experienced driver and top notch car croaked on 2nd day's trip back to the lodge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 04:43 pm:

Ya the road to the lodges was the hardest for a T when I did the last tour in '10. I was the only T from SoCal to drive up every night. I have an old alum Warford in the Torpedo which is a light body car and a z head with an OF carb and don't have any problems on any steep grades.

I really can't see a need for 12 speeds but I guess it'd be "fun" shifting. When we went up the traffic was moving pretty slow so the Warford under drive and high pedal was perfect. Going that slow really is great cause you want to be looking at all the beautiful scenery and not that close on the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 05:42 pm:

We had a great time in 2010 and my car had issues even before the tour. I used my trailer to get down from and up to the lodge. We still got to drive through and stop in Eureka and then into Canada. Take the Road to the Sun. Enjoy a lot of beautiful scenery. And best of all visit with Model T people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 05:50 pm:

Were there any major breakdowns?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 07:01 pm:

For whatever it is worth, I have had a few model Ts over the years with 12 speeds (or more). I like the options some of the time. On tough hills, I usually leave the rear end in high, and use the auxiliary's low for the majority of the climb. That leaves me with the easier to shift Ruckstell if I need it in a tight spot.
The truth is, that either one, or the other (auxiliary UDO or Ruckstell), is plenty fine nearly all the time. Having both is somewhat redundant, as well as an abundance of riches. An overdrive is great for the open highway. Even a mostly stock engine can usually handle it with standard ratio gears in the rear end. Some people, however, prefer 4 to 1 gears with that overdrive. And having two intermediate gear choices allows one to choose the best one for the circumstances, like really tough hills maybe needing another step down farther up the road. Another time it is nice, is when one is running in overdrive, and suddenly needs to downshift (for any of a variety of reasons). The Ruckstell is often the best short notice downshift. Overdrive-Ruckstell gives a final ratio somewhat below standard Ford high gear, and is an often overlooked excellent gear choice.
On another hand, some of us are just simply crazy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

My '26 coupe with Z head and OF carb did real well with a couple minor issues. The hold down clamp for the timer wasn't tight and I messed up a perfectly good E-Timer. Strictly my fault. Put in my spare Anderson and ignition was happy. I have a round tube radiator and had to monitor my motor meter to prevent overheating. The car came to me with a fresh round tube radiator and I've not had issues with it before but high 80's temp and some long fast pulls would get it warm if I wasn't careful. I also had a shifting issue with my Ruckstell once climbing the hill but took care of it on the road. I never feared that I was going to break my car but I know that day will likely come sometime, hopefully not soon.

This was a terrific tour and I'm really glad we didn't miss it this time around. Many Thanks to the good folks that hosted this event.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 10:53 pm:

Since I am older now I don't want to "break" my T so I simply have decided to "pass" when the tour calls for climbing a mountain. My T is pretty bone stock but has a strong motor so I can get up most hills in high if I get a running start and the hill isn't too long. I was part of the group who had friends who had in previous years taken the same roads and stayed at the same resort so we made plans to leave our T's in the Whitefish High School parking lot where we parked our trailers and block them up solid so they could serve as a garage each night. So at each days tour end we parked out T in its trailer at the high school and then drove the modern up to the resort. After breakfast each morning we drove back down the hill to the high school and got out the T for the day's tour. Only rough day was the 200 mile plus day up the sun road but my T made that pretty easily except for the "around the mountain" way back which had some long uphill climbs. I just took my time and didn't burn any bands or crack any drums and I made the whole tour just fine. The only part I omitted was the nightly grind up the hill to the resort. I left my T at the high school. I suggest to ask a lot of questions from the tour hosts and not to hurt your T just to prove it can climb a mountain. Mine can but my T is my friend and so I am its friend in exchange and I keep an eye out for trouble that I can avoid. Works for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ashley Lang on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 11:53 pm:

The Lang Clan had a blast on the tour. Our 4 to 1 Ruckstell rear end did great. Climbed the hill every night. We had a blast driving out and on our way back now. I took a ton of photos and did a little video blog for our trip out and back. You can follow along.

https://youtu.be/F9wmJRm0HWM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 12:59 am:

My Tudor with three people pulled the hill nicely with a 4:1 and a KC Warford in under. I hauled four rigs on the trouble truck Sunday afternoon. All of them had different problems. Loading on the steep narrow lower part of the road was a thrill!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 02:30 am:

Thank you Ashley! Great video!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 02:59 am:

Ashley, Thanks so much for sharing your daily tour videos. For those of us who were unable to make it , it was a great coverage of the tour. Also nice to get a bit of insight into the family I buy all may parts from!Great times with your boys on tour and they will remember it forever!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 06:41 am:

Too much driving in 70 MPH modern traffic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Housego (United Kingdom) on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 07:00 am:

Some MTFRGB members here in the UK attended and we received the following pictures which can be seen via this link ...
https://www.facebook.com/pg/MTFRGB/photos/?tab=album&album_id=10159130229555046

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 08:46 am:

Thank you, Ashley ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 12:35 pm:

Very much enjoyed your videos Ashley,.....almost felt like I was a "participant" after all! (:^) ..... harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 12:37 pm:

Great bunch of pictures John,.....thank you,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

Dean

if a broken drum is serious, then there was at least one serious breakdown

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 07:53 pm:

Nice videos, Ashley. And nice pictures, John Housego.

I agree with Tom Strickling, there was too much 70 mph traffic.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Schmidt ..... Seattle on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 01:17 am:

Here are a couple of my 2017 Motoring in Montana videos:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HPVgo6ReeyM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UqL3SlWClTM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 07:18 am:

Really enjoyed your videos Steve. My wife always complains I just get pictures of the cars! Thanks for your video of the cars. The cars is what it is all about for me. Thanks for the cars! 2 cars halfway through video 1 would not start???? Hard to understand 2 cars on a tour that was doing so many miles would not start easily and reliably???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Schmidt ..... Seattle on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

Our Puget Sound Chapter in Seattle has fun playing games with our cars.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ld-PNDQan6U

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o6qmyZUHjY4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9zWN4rUPG9U

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Barr on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 12:25 pm:

We gave everyone the option of putting their trailers at the Whitefish High School once we secured and paid for its use. It was a good option for those who haven't had to climb hills in their T's.

We are creating a CD/DVD of pictures from the tour. If you have pictures, just send me a request at tenmodelt@gmail.com and I'll add you to the list of people who are uploading to Dropbox. You also get a chance to see all of the other pictures that have been uploaded.

It is really hard to go anywhere in Montana without traveling on a 70mph road for some part of the trip. These roads usually have wide shoulders where slower traffic can pull over and let the fast guys get by.

Model T's break on just about every tour as some people don't have their T's in good driving condition. The hill to the resort is a challenge, but it was the only place where people could get lodging at a reasonable rate during the summer tourist season. And a number of the cars that broke down were not taking the hill as they had their trailers at the high school, Whitefish hotel, or one of the campgrounds.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration