Turn Signals Brass era

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Turn Signals Brass era
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Dix on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 04:31 pm:

I am trying to make a neat clean turn signal installation on my '13, rear for now. It is 2017 so LED would be most visible etc.
Came up with a good mounting using the brackets that go on the top brackets and repop 19 - 25 lights. Converted to LEDs, using a card with the leds inside the light.
Got a "Brain Box" for $179 hooked up everything, everything worked but the "blink"!
Talked to seller and manufacturer, "you have to use a resistor to make the flasher work", tried a "LED" flasher, nothing. Now what's the point in using low draw leds if you have to put a resister in the circuit to make the flasher go?
Anybody found a LED flasher that works?
At least the brake lights work.
Back to the bike light!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 04:54 pm:

Jim,

LED lights do not draw enough power to make a conventional flasher work. An electronic flasher is needed.

You stated you tried a "LED" flasher. Is that one an electronic type? When using an electronic flasher, you should not need any resistors in the circuit since the flasher is of the "timer" type that cycles on an internal clock to blink the lights on an off on the side you choose.

Hope that helps.

Good Luck,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

I was thinking about upgrading the turn signal and brake light bulbs to LEDs in my 2003 Grand Prix and found it that the low draw causes a symptom called hyper blinking. To eliminate it you can use a resistor and the stock incandescent mechanical flasher, or purchase a flasher module that is designed for LEDs.

Just Google LED turn signal flasher and I believe you should be able to find what you need:

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=LED+turn+signal+flasher&ie= UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gws_rd=ssl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Dix on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 05:37 pm:

Looking for specifics not generalities. ie. XYZ Mfg #123LED worked for me.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 05:44 pm:

I bought bicycle LED lights. Takes 2 or 3 AAA batteries, on steady they run for 24 hrs, on blink they run 72 hrs. I glued them to a big speaker magnet and padded the bottom side and set them on my 14 flat fenders. I do also tie a strap to them because once I hit a bump and it fell off. They are very bright.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 06:50 pm:

Jim,
I installed some LEDs and like you, could not get them to blink. My :Thrifty" solution was to wire a regular incandescent into the system to provide the resistance. (Needed two bulbs - one for each side.)
No doubt there is a better way, but that works for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 04:37 am:

Just FYI, Are they wired in right way ? LEDs will only work with current flowing one way. Generally resister is on feed side.
Perhaps try reversing wiring to them (polarity).

And yes, ALL LEDs NEED resistors. 380 ohm+/- for 12 volt system, other resistances for other voltages

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By MNToys on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 08:59 am:

Hey Jim,

I bought my turnsignal box from Eric Wagner. I used a solid state flasher:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00064LOJ6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF 8&psc=1

The LEDs I used had a lot of bulbs:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TK1TOM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF 8&psc=1

The only issue I had was the flasher wouldn't fit in the newer box Eric made, so I had to use a larger project box from Radio Shack.

I don't know if the flasher will work with all LEDs, but that flasher works with that LED and I only have rear lights on the Overland.

Nick Rein

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By MNToys on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 09:03 am:

Another great item I use wiring these old things is:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000THQ0CQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF 8&psc=1

The 6 circuit with cover and negative bus.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration