HOOD SHELF PATTERN

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: HOOD SHELF PATTERN
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 05:42 pm:

I need a pattern or an old beat up hood shelf for a '23, low cowl so I can make my own shelves. I plan to make them out of 3/4" oak Can anyone help?
Thank you, Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 01:00 am:

Paul, did anyone get back to you on your home made, wooden, low cowl '23 hood shelves?
I could do a pattern of a 17-22 shelf if that would help.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 01:29 am:

Nobody responded until you. I would love to see a pattern, then I will attempt to make some from 3/4 " oak flooring.
Thank you, Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 01:54 am:

Paul, I'll get my ducks squared away and I'll be in touch!
You'll be required to post photos if it works out for ya later, ya know... :-)
Are the shelves you're gonna make more like the 23-25's or more like the 17-22's?
There's a big "bip" out on the rears of the 23-25's. I THINK I have that correct.
There's just a small "bip" out on the (OOPS! 17?) to 22 shelves? I may have a detail wrong. Help.
IF you are not sure, say I dunno. That works! :-)
I'll help if I can.
I have an "until 22" shelf that's loose and I will pattern.
I also have a 24 shelf I could get get a pattern from. The in-betweens are foreign to me tho.
Anybody help for correct patterns for Paul?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 02:08 am:

Other than a couple of detail changes, '17 into '23 should be mostly alike. '24 and '25 are different because the hood and firewall are wider, and the hood shelf needed to be made wider to compensate and hold the hood latches out farther.
People do get confused about the whole 1923 thing. Different body styles began production of the '24 style/model year cars at different times and in different assembly plants. A 1924 model built in June or July of 1923 is no more a '23 Ford than the early releases of almost every year since. The automotive industry has always, not just Ford, not just '23, but most major marques and in most years, had early manufacturing and "next year's model now" cars, almost every year (except '42,'43, '44, '45. and '46.
The confusion was added to by the fact that the states all handled vehicle registration differently. Some registering by calendar year sold, others by year model. And a whole bunch of states didn't even begin to register cars until near the end or after model T production ended.

All that said.

I do like the way you both refer to the "low cowl" '23. Since we will likely never get everyone to accept the simple model/style year explanation, it is wise to make it clear by just a few words which 1923 calendar year style it is. It is not always about "I am right, you are wrong". It needs to be about communication. Very good. "Low cowl" '23 covers it.

Duey C, I hope you can fix Paul S up fine. If not, I don't know for sure if I have any '17 to '23 hood shelves left in decent condition. I know that most of what I did have was in pretty bad shape. But I could look to see if there is something traceable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 10:52 am:

My 1923 Touring is a low cowl. The serial number is 80404702 if that helps. I just want to see if I can make them.
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 06:04 pm:

Paul

Here is a rough sketch from right side shelf.

You can locate the square holes and the round carriage bolt holes from the corresponding holes in the frame rail.

Note the top measures are the spots where I measured the 'width' of the shelf along the length. The thickness is what the sheet metal formed part is at the outer edge, the inner edge is more shallow.

The thin metal shelf has wood blocks under to raise it up some and to secure the hood latches. Your custom all wood shelf will have to be thick enough for this, so that you don't have a big gap to the hood edge.

Remember too that the holes drill in a solid wood shelf need to be at an angle or the hood latch will get in the way of the hood, and the latch needs to pinch the hood at this angle. The wood blocks under the metal shelf provide this angle as they are drilled for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

Dan, I am not clear on the overall length. 24.5?
Thank you Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 11:10 am:

Paul

You are right, my top numbers showing where the measure is for width (the shelf is tapered), don't tally.

The 21" mark is really about 20 3/4" to the end of the inboard edge of the shelf where the curve starts. Then they add up about right, but this is rough sketch.

The overall length is 24 1/2" approx. (24.5)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 10:54 am:

I have complete the pattern, using Dan Treace's sketch. Today hope to locate the holes from the frame, then make a rough prototype from cheap material. Only need to make 1, as the Left and Right sides are "opposites".
Paul

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration