Fan rivets, screws, what?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Fan rivets, screws, what?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 05:55 pm:

I keep seeing comments on replacing fan blades about rivets. I got my new production fan and the one piece roller bearing hub in from Langs. The fan is held in by screws with lock washers, am I missing something here?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 06:19 pm:

Matthew, the earlier fans had 4 separate blades which were riveted to either a brass or iron hub. Your sounds like the later one piece fan fitted with 4 screws to an alloy hub.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 06:22 pm:

Ah, yes, that makes sense. Even the original one is set up with screws. I've noticed I have the later 27 style fan hub that pushes the blade real close to the radiator, the new style one won't push the fan that close.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 06:50 pm:

If a blade flys off it can cause a bunch of damage. I would use Locktite on the screws

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

If you have the Ford hub that has the blades close to the core. You may have one of the 3 row core radiators. The fan was moved to help cool the undersized radiator. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 10:53 pm:

Don't forget Ford made a fan pulley with a longer nose that put the fan blades closer to the radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 10:24 am:

There are two styles of bolt on fan blades. I'm not positive when the new style came out, but it was probably 1924. The new revised guidelines doesn't mention when the change occurred. I'll contact Russ Furstnow, and see if he knows anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 11:32 am:

Ok you do all the work to rebuild the fan with either screws or rivets, or you purchase a rebuilt/new fan to replace the the existing fan, is there any consideration given to making certain the fan has been balanced to eliminate unwanted vibrations?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration