Kelsey Touring Body

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Kelsey Touring Body
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven King on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 10:01 am:

I have a Kelsey Touring body which has an intact sub frame back to just behind the rear doors and then the rest of the car is missing. The rear doors are still hinged to the body. There is a brass tag and body no. on the dash. The car is in decent condition other than missing the rear section behind the doors. I even have the unusual spare tire carrier and some of the seats and interior panels in place. The wind shield width on this car is narrower than the T. I would like to date this car and find or make the rest of the car as I have a T chassis to fit it to. I will upload pictures soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven King on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 12:42 pm:

I have some photos of the Kelsey Touring as promised.Kelsey Touring pictureskelsey touring tagkelsey touring backKelsey touring top

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 01:09 pm:

A similar body was discussed on the AACA

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/164191-kelsey-wheel-company-body-what-is-it/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 01:11 pm:

OT, but a neat piece nonetheless. Not compatible with your touring body, but the Auto World Museum in Fulton, MO has a 1910 Kelsey Motorette.

https://www.autoworldmuseum.com/1910-kelsey-motorette.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A smith on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 03:31 pm:

Here is what it should look like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A smith on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 03:36 pm:

Good luck finding the rest of it.Parts for these accessory bodies are hard to come by.I've been doing an AUTOWA roadster for 9 years and still am not done.If I may suggest,maybe remove doors and use as a roadster till parts can be found.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A smith on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 03:38 pm:

AUTOWA bodied Ford

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 07:18 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/262711.html

Best regards, John Page, Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 12:17 am:

Finding an actual Kelsey touring rear section may be right up there with winning the lottery so that one could buy a car that came along that one would want. Between this and a few other threads linked to here, should give enough style and shape information, coupled with scaled dimensions, to replicate the missing rear section. A basic shape of the rear tub could be replicated using a donor section from any of many typical touring bodies of the late '10s or '20s.
I don't know about '26/'27 Ts, but earlier T bodies are multiple panels, and may not be appropriate from what I have seen so far of the Kelsey bodies. Studebaker, Dodge, Overland, and Chevrolet along with about a hundred others should be workable. A smaller car may have a better size match, but many larger bodies could be cut down (both height and width) and made to work well with a little cutting and welding.
The OP body has the rear doors, as well as the entire cowl and front seat area. That is the most important and most difficult to replicate stuff. By fitting the front half of the body onto a chassis, and building to fit from there back, the rear section should not be all that difficult. The rear doors will provide many important clues to what needs to be made for the missing framework.
This could turn into an incredible and unique model T!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration