Popping out of High Gear

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Popping out of High Gear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Harris on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 01:42 pm:

Good Morning,

I have a 1926 T with a Ruckstell. It is popping out of gear in High/High - Ruckstell shifter all the way forward. It runs great in the other 3 gears. Any thoughts? As always thanks for your help and wisdom.
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 01:53 pm:

Just a little MMO to the rear...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 02:03 pm:

Sounds like time to refurbish the rear shifter body - which style do you have, long nose, or short?

Chaffin's has the parts you will need.

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robin Pharis on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 03:58 pm:

Rick you may have a more serious problem. The p139 bronze thrust plate may have sheared the the spline.it may cause a neutral like effect intermittently

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Harris on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 04:00 pm:

I'm guessing long. Here is a picture. Is there a way to test it to make sure that is the problem?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 04:04 pm:

Rick,

Your Ruckstell needs to be rebuilt/repaired. Do NOT drive it that way.

The way to test it is to remove it, disassemble it, and inspect the parts for wear. Don't test it by driving it, unless you've got super good external brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 04:12 pm:

Something that fools people occasionally. The splines that engage high gear are long. However, the actual engagement is very short. Only a very small amount of wear on that bronze piece's spline will cause high gear to jump out under torque, speed, or vibration. Been there. Done that. But it has been quite a few years since I looked at the inside of a Ruckstell.
It is also possible that the shift/lock shown could be worn or gummed up. That also happens often.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 04:42 pm:

Rick, that is the long shift lock. It is supposed to be the better of the two.

If you haven't already, purchase the MTFCA Ruckstell book and study it.

https://modeltstore.myshopify.com/collections/restoration-aids/products/service- manuals

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 05:06 pm:

Simple things first. Take the shifter out and look for any wear or contact of the yoke to the housing. tighten things up and remove any contact of the yoke. Been here done that and fixed the problem. your's may very well need taken apart but this is an easy first step.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Hamlin on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 05:20 pm:

I went through that a couple years ago.
I had to replace the slide gear(P146), shift fork/ yoke(P122A) & pin & roller set(P158CRS). When installing the roller set do not use grease on them. Just lots of diff oil. otherwise they will skid & wear off one side. Don't ask me how I know.
Mark shift fork rollers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RalphS in NE Oregon on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 06:24 pm:

When you say it is popping out of high/high, is it popping back into low range or into the deadly neutral position?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Harris on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 10:19 pm:

starts increasing rph really high and seems like Neutral. although I'm able to slow it down by downshifting and reducing gas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Harris on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 11:25 pm:

I pulled off the shifter and everything looks good except it needs new lubricant. Please see attached

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Doughty Central wisconsin on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 07:17 am:

I found on two Ruckstells that popped out of high had wear in the shifter. I put a washer shim in them to get the travel correct and it solved the problem. The washer went under the flat spring hold down bolt. I don't remember which side

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 09:24 am:

There's more to the proper function of the shift lock than just the condition of the yoke pins, see the MTFCA Ruckstell manual. Stan Howe used to do premium quality rebuilds of the long nose shifter, maybe he still has a few of his masterpieces available. Couldn't hurt to ask. :-)

http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&profil e=stan_howe-users

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 11:04 am:

Be very suspect also of the condition of P146 Sliding Spline Shaft. The length of the teeth can wear short in a manner that looks as if they're machined that way, while in fact, they may be too short.

From the web:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Harris on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 05:32 pm:

Thank you all for your help and ideas!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration