First post- saved a motor, now what

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: First post- saved a motor, now what
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John OToole on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 02:08 pm:

First I want to say hello. I have been reading this forum for over year now and have enjoyed every minute of it. I have always had a fascination with old cars, especially Fords.

Anyways, I bought a 40 Lasalle from an estate auction a few weeks ago. There was tons of stuff there, lots of model t stuff too. A week later I get a call saying they are going to throw out some various Lasalle pieces left behind, so of course I said I would take them. I get there and load up the parts and I noticed a t engine and transmission sitting. I asked if anyone was picking up and they said no and that they had planned to scrap it. Well I couldnt let that happen, so now its safe at my home.

That leads me to the third part of my post, I have no idea what to do with it. It's a 1920 block with a 4 dip pan. When I saw it there was no head and most of the accessories are gone, but it looked solid. I don't see any cracks, waterjackets are clean, slight surface rust on the cylinders, but nothing that wont clean up. I looked into the transmission and it looks brand new, as do the valves. If I sell it is it better if I get the engine running first? I hope the answer is yes because I kind of want to see it run. Thanks in advanced.

valvestopengine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 02:27 pm:

IMO - :-)

If you want to see it run, spend the money and make it run.

If you want to flip it to make money, don't invest a dime and sell it as-is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 02:36 pm:

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I expect if you get it running before you sell it, you'll sell it at a loss. But if you want to make it a project just for fun, knowing you're unlikely to get back everything you spend on it, that's great. It looks like a good start for a project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 03:38 pm:

I wish you where closer, I could use a spare. Like Steve said, It could cost big $$$ to get it running.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 03:45 pm:

I have to agree with Mark and Steve's comments.

Just one observation though, the valve chamber is amazingly clean for an engine that is otherwise showing a lot of use. And by a lot of use I mean fairly dirty and oily on the outside. I would not be surprised if it received a quality rebuild as part of a restoration sometime in the past and was used for lots of club tours and fun Sunday drives. It just might be a very good candidate for rebuilding for relatively minimal expense.

Get a magnet and see if it sticks to the pistons. If not, my suspicions might be more probable.

Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 03:54 pm:

John,

I believe Steve & Will are envisioning a rebuild, which "could cost big $$$ to get it running".

However, if you want to clean up the bores, lap the valves, put on a head gasket, add some ignition stuff, block off the starter & generator holes, add manifolds & a carb, it doesn't have to cost very much. Still, not free, but not big $$$ like a rebuild.

It most likely won't net you a higher sale price, because I can tell by looking at it, that it's a tired motor that will still need a rebuild to be really good, and a perspective buyer will know it. Still, it would be fun...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 05:29 pm:

John - You've received some good advice here, most of which I agree with. Mark said,...."If you want to flip it to make money, don't invest a dime and sell it as-is." I also agree with that advice, but I would add just one more comment:

You mentioned that you found it with the head off and slight rust in the cylinders. You do not say whether the engine is "stuck", or if it is free. If you can't turn the engine over; in other words, pistons are stuck, I would attempt to free it up in order to demonstrate that it will turn over. This will cost you no more that some kerosene or diesel oil or whatever, and a bit of effort on your part. My thought here is that it's easier and more profitable to sell a free turning engine than a stuck one! Just my humble opinion, for what it's worth,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John OToole on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 06:40 pm:

Thanks for all the input, pro's and con's. I was hoping to do the bare basics (carbs, exhaust, ect.) to see if it would fire, but I just found out why the engine was pulled. The crank shaft is broke after the #1 cylinder. On the bright side the #1 piston isn't stuck! Anyone care to do a postmortem investigation? Haha. Here are some more pictures of the engine and transmission.sidetransmissioncrankshaft

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

Oh the two piece club!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 08:27 pm:

Geez a guy got in the two piece club, and don't even have a car!! Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

John, still even with the broken crank, there are many parts that can be useful. If I was closer, I'd be all over that just as a parts motor/trans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 10:00 pm:

IMO the serial number alone on the block could birth another T.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 10:11 pm:

Thank you for saving it from the scrapper scrounges! Something like that really should be used to help preserve another model T or two.
Be careful, though. That model T bug can bite hard and unexpectedly. You could have a couple cars in your garage in a few years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John OToole on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 10:24 pm:

The two piece club? Is there a news letter? Despite the cracked crank I'm still glad it's not going to the scrapper. I get a sick feeling just thinking of it. Funny thing is I have spent more time thinking of what I could do with that engine than I have with the running car I bought. So far I have been trying to locate a rolling chassis and convince my dad that he really wants to build a period correct speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 12:31 am:

John, You can get new or good used crankshafts. The big risk you take is after you get the engine running, you will have to get the rest of the Model T to go with it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration