Trailers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Trailers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Finchum on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 11:05 pm:

Doing a little research. Would like to know what kind of trailer you all use to haul your T to a location. Open, closed, one axel or two. How light or heavy your trailer goes. Thanks in advance. CF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 12:40 am:

I have several trailers. One is a simple open, one axel (UN-Sprung), light weight trailer that I use for some local tours. The other....which is used for car storage and longer trips away is extra tall enclosed, dual axel 18ft. with 5ft. V-nose trailer. Each has it's own advantages.

The open trailer is much easier to pull and move around compared to the enclosed one. I happen to have the space to store the trailers at home. Storage fees for trailers can become expensive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 01:42 am:

Extra tall 24 ft enclosed. Trailer is a little over 4000 lb empty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 01:49 am:

I have gone many miles to many tours with this rig. I made the cover. An inclosed trailer is better for a pristine car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 09:24 am:

I just got an 8.5' x 20' tall trailer, wouldn't call it "extra tall" as Troy mentions. It's 87.5" door opening, 89" inside. My '12 Comm. Roadster P/U is 85", the tallest in my "fleet", so that's tall enough. Some guys get em 96" tall and I just feel that's a waste of extra height not to mention that much more wind resistance pulling down the road. Just my two cents. I'm more interested in the heavier frame, and the vertical ribs on 16" centers, a lot are only 24" centers. Plus heavy plywood, not OSB. Love the beaver tail rear entry also. Oh yeh, mine also has heavier guage aluminum panels, a lot of 'em don't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Finchum on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 09:31 am:

jeepThis is my jeep. Trying to see if it will work as a tow vehicle. That's why I'm looking to see what you guys use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 09:55 am:

When I go on tours, I use the new midsize GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel pulling an enclosed 712 single axle cargo trailer which in turn is pulling a small travel trailer. This setup is the most fuel efficient possible in the world and tows beautifully.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 10:06 am:

Carl,

I use a light, open, single axle trailer, made for Model T's. It has 2 channels, spaced just right for T wheels to drive up on. Works great. Lot's of people don't like single axle trailers. Mine pulls solid and stable. Whatever you get, BUY GOOD TIRES!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 10:13 am:

I think we have had a 18'X 8'6" enclosed for 20 years.The fact is either open or enclosed do not buy a trailer that will only haul a model T! Another fact is Dave has a small world after all.In Mich,you CAN'T haul a trailer with a trailer! You can haul a trailer with a 5'th wheel.Not being a expert i do not know about other states but you will meet he DOT quickly in Mi.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 10:30 am:

Oh I know I can't drive my train in Michigan. Most states, yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 10:41 am:

I would never try to tow a "T" with a Jeep like that and feel it's asking for trouble with a capital "T".

I feel strongly enough about this that my jeep stays home and I tow with an F350 that was purchased, used, for this job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 11:03 am:

Hi Carl,

Thanks for joining & posting.

I see you are in Indianapolis ....

What is the rated tow capacity of the vehicle you are planning to pull the Model T with ?

Start there - deduct the curb weight of the Model T - whatever is left over is the curb weight of the empty trailer you can tow.

Both of these weights combined cannot exceed the tow capacity of your vehicle.

Based on that - you can choose open or enclosed - steel or aluminum.

If you buy a used trailer - have someone go with you who is familiar with what to look for if you are not.

My first trailer was a used open one - I spent more money fixing it than I paid for it ....

Good Luck !

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 11:31 am:

One consideration is how much towing you do. I don't tow often enough to justify the expense of an enclosed trailer, so I've always used my own open trailer or a rented one for my rare towing adventures. I tow with a half ton Suburban that has a 3/4 ton rear axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Dominguez on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 02:00 pm:

This is what I use. 16' x 8' utility trailer (but you can use a 14' ).
With electric brakes. Works great.Photo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 03:26 pm:

Like Mark, I also use a two axle 8x16 utility trailer with electric brakes on one axle. Tow vehicle- 1986 F250 Super Cab long bed with the 6.9 IDI diesel. (one of the best and most reliable vehicles I've ever owned)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 03:34 pm:

Towing with a Jeep for 5 1/2 years now. No problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 03:43 pm:

Steve, towing a lot isn't necessary to justify the expense of an enclosed trailer... they also work great for storage, and cost a lot less than a garage addition. :-)

I have posted this before... 2011 Silverado 1500 with 403hp 6.2L gas and max-towing package rated for 10,400lbs. Trailer is 26' enclosed with an extra foot of height. The trailer weighs about 8000 loaded with 2 Model Ts in it. I get 8mpg at 65mph and that drops one whole mpg for every 5mph I try to go faster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 04:16 pm:

There are many things to consider.
1. The climate where you intend to tow the car. If dry, an open trailer is fine (however I have trailered my touring all day with the top down on an open trailer without damage to the car. In fact when I got home I wanted to remove the boot and put the top up to dry and to my astonishment the top was dry!) A closed trailer would be better in wet weather.
2. The distances you tow and whether you plan to spend a night on the road might be best to use a closed trailer if you plan to sleep overnight.
3. The size of the tow vehicle. The heavier the load the larger tow vehicle should be used.
4. The ease of backing and turning around. Much easier when you can see over the trailer than only being able to use mirrors. And a larger trailer and tow vehicle take a larger turn around area.
5. How much you can afford to pay for the trailer and tow vehicle.
6. Whether you have a driver or a show car. The closed trailer will keep your car cleaner and keep it out of the sun.
7. If you want to use the trailer for a storage container for the car. However, be aware that there are trailer thieves who will take the trailer and if the car is inside, the car goes with it.
There might be more reasons, but these are important.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 04:43 pm:

Carl, your Jeep has a very short wheel base. If the trailer starts to sway back and forth you have less chance of saving it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Finchum on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 07:01 pm:

Thanks guys for the input. I do think my jeep is just not up to towing the size and weight I will probably need. I was thinking the wheelbase would be an issue plus it just doesn't have the right gearing to pull a load over two thousand pounds. As of right now any events I take "Ollie" to will need to be within driving range. Thanks for showing what you guys use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 08:30 pm:

I use a '08 Jeep Wrangler 4 door to pull my 12 ft enclosed trailer, tandem wheels, electric brakes. It weighs 5400 lbs and tows great. Nice long wheelbase.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 11:17 pm:

"Driving range" can be a couple thousand miles, if you have time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Finchum on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 12:28 am:

That is so true....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 02:20 am:

Can a T be flat-towed?
If so, what speed and distance could this happen?
I know that you can't tow a T backwards because the threaded bearings on the front would shear off the spindles.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 06:40 am:

Not good to tow at all - except for maybe a real emergency.

You will cause issues in the transmission which will be turning without oil on it. grrccchhh..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 08:34 am:

Vern,

It has been done....

This way:

http://antiqueautoranch.com/montana500/may2004/index.html

or this way:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/487815.html?1413907606

and maybe other ways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 09:43 am:

OK,
I see all kinds of monstrous bad stuff that could happen with a flat-tow. I already have a car dolly and I'm not even going to try that. There is a 4 wheel trailer here that I can borrow, even if it is only 3 miles.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 10:05 am:

Don't even think about a car dolly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 12:03 pm:

16 foot two-axle enclosed with an equalizer hitch. I prefer an enclosed trailer because it keeps busy fingers away from the car, and I can carry a lot of other junk that I would prefer to keep secure. When we moved to Florida from Massachusetts, besides the T, I carried booze, guns, and paint that the mover would not transport. I couldn't do that with an open trailer. Plus in a pinch, the trailer can double as a garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 12:25 pm:

Carl,
If you take a look at my profile, it show the trailer that I use. It also show the state of the T when I picked it up. I guess I should update the profile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 12:42 pm:

I've been weighing the merits of getting a 16' enclosed tandem axle trailer, but have not settle on a manufacturer yet. Seems like on some you hear nothing good, and reviews are spotty on the rest. I've been through the forums and that tends to get more confusing yet. Has anyone actually had an enclosed trailer for more than a couple of years that they haven't had trouble with? I wonder...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 03:11 pm:

I've had an enclosed 24-foot Featherlike for 6 years and like it very much. I ordered heavy-duty trailer tires. My only real annoyance has been the crappy running lights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 03:49 pm:

I have had my 16-foot Integrity for about a year with no issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 04:00 pm:

I have an Aluma Trailer, 16 foot V nose, ramp door and side door. Ten years now, and no problems, other than I have replaced the LED lights once. Get tandem axle, and the load range D tires, pressure monitoring system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 06:26 pm:

Just a note - you do not need a very big or heavy duty trailer to haul an early Model T Ford. 50 years ago I modified a trailer used to haul a 3/4 midget racer. I replaced the rails enough to hold an 100 inch wheel base auto. The axel is from a 1930 Chevrolet and 6 bolt 6 16 wheels. Even with my 1910 on it it is light enough not to require breaks.. I have even used it once to haul a heavy 1936 Teraplane with no problems. I have trailered my 1910 on it up 150 miles, one way trips. My total cost 50 years ago was $100. I know that this is not for everyone, but it works for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 10:01 pm:

6X12 enclosed with a Lincoln Aviator. My first tow vehicle was a 77 Ford Granada with a single axle open trailer. I like the 6X12 as a trailer (I've towed cross country) with the single axle its so manuverable and small enough to stash/store anywhere. Its very comparable towing to the small single axle I started with. I've trailerd this -250 feet to 8500 feet and thru sand, rain, hail, and snow storms on the last trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Finchum on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 10:59 pm:

Is a 6x12 big enough for a model t to get in and out of? CF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 11:08 pm:

That's what I was wondering. Absolutely a T will fit in a 6x12 open trailer with enclosed sides because I used to have one but, every 6x12 enclosed I've seen has a door frame that gets in the way. Maybe yours does not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 05:36 pm:

I pull my model A s or T s local on a open 18.5 foot dove tail car hauler. If I am going far I use a 20x8.5 enclosed v nose trailer. I wouldn't have bought a 20 ft but my 70 mustang fits in it. I am sure the jeep will pull a Model T. I use a 2014 Ram with 5.7 hemi and 3.92 rear axle ratio 1/2 ton truck to pull them with. To close to retirement to waste the money to buy a new one ton truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 08:09 pm:

There is a frame in the way, needs a slight modification . . .

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration