RIP, W. Q. Hall

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: RIP, W. Q. Hall
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 09:04 am:

W.Q. was not on this forum, nor was he active in any clubs for many years. But some of you may have known him (or at least heard of him) if you've been into Model T's for very long. He had an association with the Tulsa Model T club and organised tours every Spring in the Eureka Springs area, called "The Dogwood Tour." We have tried to keep that tradition alive. He was one of the "old-timers" in the small but active Model T community of an earlier time in this area. He resided in Huntsville, AR, had a wonderful sense of humor and was great fun to be around.

"Q" bought his first Model T when he was 16 years old. That was in 1945, the year I was born. That car is still in his garage, along with a '55 T-Bird and some others of interest. He had several other Model T's along the way and was quite active in the Model T scene until his health degraded. He was an avid collector of Model T accessories for about 50 years.

Q's health had been failing for the past couple of years. He lost his lovely wife Virginia 3 years ago, and his son Tim came to live with him and take care of him. Tim drove him into Fayetteville once a week or so, for lunch at a nice restaurant. One of those lunch trips was Q's last ride.

While we all had been expecting Q's old body to give up on him for a year or more, it was not to be. This past Monday, Tim lost control of the car in which he and Q were riding, hit a culvert, and flipped the car. W. Q. passed away in the hospital about 4 hours later. They were first taken to Washington Regional Medical Center here in Fayetteville, then Tim was airlifted to a bigger one in Springfield, MO. He was in intensive care but now his condition is improving.

W. Q. was a highly-respected Judge and a legend in his own time. He was a cornerstone of the "old car" scene around here and well-known far and wide. His passing is a great loss to those of us who knew him.

The funeral will be at 10:00 a.m. on Friday, the 28th at Brashears Funeral Home in Huntsville. His obituary is here: http://www.brashearsfuneralhome.net/obituary/w-hall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 09:23 am:

Mike,

What a beautiful eulogy you have written.

Wishing Tim a full recovery.

I am sorry for your loss & the loss of a great Model T Community asset who contributed for 72 amazing years.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 11:30 am:

i will make an exception for w.q. he was a very nice man, easy to work for i did his center door. i will miss him!!!!!!!!!. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

Thank you Mike W for this excellent write-up. Many people in this hobby, especially some of the older ones, were not well known outside their areas of activity. But that does not mean they should not be remembered by the many of us. And a forum such as this is often the best way for people that may have known them personally, and then moved to other areas, to get the news.

It is very sad, the way it happened. Please reassure Tim that this is not his fault. Accidents do happen, and he was doing a wonderful thing taking care of his dad. I hope and pray for his full recovery. I also hope that he can manage to not want to blame himself in any way for the outcome. This will likely be difficult for him.

Our condolences to W Q's family and friends.
Wayne and Linda

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 02:42 pm:

Thanks, Wayne, for your comments.

I just got home from WQ's funeral. Paul Mikeska drove here from Denver to attend the service, and we rode to Huntsville together. It was a lovely service, with several humorous moments. WQ was a trickster, and some of the folks who spoke about him had funny stories to relate. The funeral home has a large room for these services, and it was packed to the gills. All the seats were full, and folks were standing all across the back wall and halfway down both sides. As I mentioned in the opening post, Q was well-known, well-respected, and larger than life. We had some time to visit with Q's family members who are our friends before and after the interment. It was nice seeing them again.

Q always wore either a bowler or boater when driving his T, so I wore a bowler to the service and interment and Paul wore a boater as a tribute. The hats brought smiles to lots of folks' faces. Q's Model T was spoken about prominently during the service.

We got an update on Tim's condition. He is doing much better and is expected to make a full recovery. The Dr's say that he has no brain or spinal damage, and his son (who is smart as a whip and in Med school) told us that Tim is now thinking clearly and able to talk with the family members when they visit. So that all sounds good. It will take some time for him to heal, but he'll recover.

Paul and I celebrated with some larger-than-life chicken-fried steaks at Granny's Kitchen in Huntsville. :-)

(Message edited by coupelet on July 28, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

I wanted to post this yesterday but after driving the 850 miles from Arkansas I was just to tired.

I met W Q 48 years ago. He and my Model T mentor were good friends. I was 12 years old at the time but Q liked me and was always nice to me and I was spared some of the tricks and leg pulling he dished out to others.

One of my favorite Q stories involved the 55 T Bird that Mike mentioned in the first post. Back then I lived in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and was a member of both clubs. I was also the Dallas clubs representative for the Pate Swap Meet. Q drove his T bird to the swap meet and parked it on our spaces. The car looked like it had just been driven off of the dealers lot. As Mike mentioned Q was an avid collector of Model T accessories so he took off to search for some. The car was attracting a lot of attention just sitting there. Another T guy and I decided to have some fun. We scrounged up a piece of cardboard and a marker and wrote "For Sale $5000.00 Or Best Offer" and then scratched through it and wrote "Sold" on the sign. Even that many years ago that car was worth many times more than that. We made up a story and told the folks that were drooling over the car and offering to double our money that some guy drove up with the sign in the car and told us he was going through a divorce and the judge told him he had to sell all of his collector cars and split the money with his soon to be ex wife. We then said he told us he was basically just going to give the cars away to avoid giving his ex wife much money. Then to add insult to injury we told the folks that we pooled our money but could only come up with $3500.00 and he took it for the car. Well to say that things got out of hand would be an understatement. People were doing things like opening the doors to inspect the car or feeling the fenders to see if they were fiberglass and so on. We had to remove the sign and lay low. When Q got back we decided to fess up and hope he wasn't mad at us. After telling him the story he just asked where the sign was. We gave it to him and he put it back in the car, opened the trunk and got a lawn chair and a cooler out of it and set up shop! He never went back out to look for accessories. He was in his element and had the time of his life embellishing on our original story. It was just too funny.

The best part for me was at the BBQ dinner for the people that set up and ran the swap meet. I took my mentor and we were standing in line to get our food and the guy behind us said to his buddy " Did you see that T Bird that sold for less than $5000.00. I just about lost it.

(Message edited by paulmikeska on July 30, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 08:52 am:

Now that's funny, I don't care who ya' are. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 11:14 pm:

Exceptionally funny! W Q sounds like he was a really neat fella!
I didn't know Q but have similar memories of a great older friend that's long gone.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 04:19 am:

Paul,

He sounds like a truly nice fellow with a great sense of humor.

Thanks for sharing that story.

Sorry for your loss.

Freighter Jim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration