Question for the chemists among us re. carbide crystals

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Question for the chemists among us re. carbide crystals
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 09:38 am:

Does anyone know for certain if calcium carbide's contact with wood or plastic would cause any corrosive or other negative reaction?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 09:59 am:

Im no chemist, but I have a metal can of calcium carbide crystals. Its the original container with no issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 10:13 am:

Oops, sorry I misread the question. I thought you asked about metal also. Disregard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 11:43 am:

Not if it is dry,,jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 11:48 am:

Raw wood will ways have a certain percentage of moisture which could react with the carbide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 11:49 am:

"Will ALWAYS". God I love the auto correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coleman-Grand Marais MN/Detroit MI on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 12:35 pm:

I'm a (retired) chemist. Plastic no issue. Wood ... I wouldn't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 02:39 pm:

Rich, here's a good one...with this crazy "reading comprehension" thing I got going on, this time I actually read ALWAYS! Ha! Usually I read something stupidly wrong, which gets me in trouble when I post! Ha ha. For once it worked right! I didn't see the 'AL', but my mind automatically put it there, and for once it was correct!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration