What do i use to clean/shine natural wood rims

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What do i use to clean/shine natural wood rims
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 10:42 am:

Can anyone please tell me what to use to clean/wash/ shine wooden rims. I am sure there is more then 1 way or product.
Thank you in advance
Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 10:46 am:

Rims are steel - wheels can be wooden.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 11:11 am:

I just use whatever my wife has for the kitchen cabinets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 11:33 am:

Murphys oil soap

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 11:46 am:

Depends on the finish

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 11:49 am:

I didnt know depends would shine them up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 12:41 pm:

You can use any car wash soap from the auto parts store on varnished wood spokes and felloes. It's a neutral surfactant so it won't hurt anything.

If there is any grease or oil on the varnish, you can use mineral spirits or paint thinner to remove it before washing with soap and water. Mineral spirits/paint thinner will not hurt the varnish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 12:43 pm:

PS: you can also also apply and buff non-abrasive car wax over the varnish when you are done cleaning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 02:04 pm:

Dallas,

Yep, you can do that with them, just don't wear them before you do the wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 02:35 pm:

Murphy's oil soap works well, but you better get it rinsed thoroughly, or the next application of just about anything won't adhere! Remember, you actually are cleaning with a bit of oil. You'd have to wipe everything down with a solvent such as good ol' lacquer thinner first or acetone to clean any Murphy's residue off the wood for the next coat of varnish or paint to stick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 03:23 pm:

OK, Paul, what are we talking about here, wheel rims (steel), wooden fellows, or steering wheel rims?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 05:06 pm:

A friend of mine that works with a large private collection of cars, buys WD40 by the case. Says cleaning wood wheels is the best use he ever found for the stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 08:10 pm:

Thank you everyone.
Cleaning the WOOD spokes on the wheel is what I am asking about. Again
Thanks to all the good advice

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

Paul...another thought on cleaning wood spokes...believe it or not...WINDEX!! Yep. Seriously. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 08:05 am:

A couple coats of gloss black paint will shine them up. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 11:02 pm:

I have a '13 with original wood spokes. They are still as tight as when they were new. The problem is, a former owner varnished the spokes and felloes around 1950. They haven't been kept up since, and as a result a lot of the pulp from the wood has dried up. I recently painted them dark blue, and I even used Kwik Poly to fill some of the grain, they still don't look good to me. I guess somewhere down the line I'll have to get them re-spoked, but if this this former owner would have left them alone, they would still be perfect today!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration