1926 Headlight Bar

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1926 Headlight Bar
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Davis on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 02:43 pm:

I just notice that my headlight bar has a slight bow in it up and back. It's so slight I didn't notice It until I removed it and sighted down it. I'm assuming that they are suppose to be straight. If so I'll bend it back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 03:18 pm:

There are a bunch of different 26/27 headlight bars. I think they all were straight or they would start to get too close to the radiator. Mine is straight as an arrow.

A few pics here: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/459039.html?1404648267

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 03:27 pm:

Mine is also arrowesque

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 07:51 am:

Richard, hope this helps, here's photos of my '26s, as you can see the coupe's light bar is straight, however the touring does not have one. Not sure if that's correct.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 08:26 am:

I believe 26's had headlights on stalks to the fender and 27's had them mounted to the cross bar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Bourgeois,Aldergrove BC,Can. on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 10:46 am:

Here is picture of my friends 26 touring and my 26 Tudor. My bar is straight, his has none.
PaulB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Bourgeois,Aldergrove BC,Can. on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 10:48 am:

Sorry, forgot the pic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 10:50 am:

Gary, the light bar was added to the 26 model year during the production run. Early 26 would be on stalks while later production used the light bar. I don't know the date of cross over, probably when the assembly plant ran out of the stalk headlights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 11:16 am:

Chicago Branch letter , in files at Benson Ford Research Library states " April 3, 1926...(not exact wording but close) ' very soon all cars will have tie rod to mount headlamps and license plate will be mounted high on the tie rod to meet police requirements'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 11:17 am:

John, I don't doubt that. Being said, when I introduced our 26 (titled as a 26) to the forum I was politely told it was a 27 due to the light bar :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 01:23 pm:

The bar was added because those who bought the accessory bumpers found out that it interfered with the visibility of the front license plate. The license plate was then mounted on the bar. It also made headlight adjustment much easier and probably aided in the rigidity of the front fenders. A win win solution.
My early '26s are mounted on the fenders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 02:24 pm:

I would like to know if the '26 touring had that light bar? Thank you in advance for answering.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 02:28 pm:

Yes, see Dan Treace's post above

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 11:20 pm:

Earlier 26's did not have a bar and later ones did. Also there were after market bars for earlier stem type head lights. That is what I have on my early 26.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 05:36 pm:

Dang it Jim; '26s didn't have brass headlamp rims! You're being confusin'......just kidding.
You have one of 3 "correct" style 1926 Ford headlamp bars. What was late '26 factory and aftermarket, I don't know. Yours is adjustable on both ends. I have one adjustable on the left end only and there was one available that was nonadjustable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 06:19 pm:

George

Lots of aftermarket bars made for pre-'25 and then the later Improved Car, until Ford made its own with the new headlamps mounted on the bar....then the aftermarket companies sorta dwindled away.....

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration