OT what do you do for enjoyment?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT what do you do for enjoyment?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 07:40 pm:

I am sitting at home thinking about this coming weekend when my son will be visiting from Washington DC.

He has already talked about our going to Star speedway in Epping NH (short track racing) on Saturday night which is something we have done together for many years.
I suddenly realized that it is something we do together because it is a contact point.

When he was at home we spent time working on the T but now that he is in DC and visits on some weekends we have to go to Star speedway. Sometimes he wants us to go to the Granite State Gun range in Hudson NH and use up a few hundred rounds.

I realized that I enjoy doing things with my son and am blessed that he wants to do things with me that I like.

What about you?
Other than Model T's what do you really like to do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

I work on my 66 Mustang, ride horses, sail, trout fish when I can, and spend time with my sons and ex. I like to 3-D shoot with my bow, but we haven't found a range and the time. I spent years shooting in the SASS venue several times a month, but again, no time or range these days. I like to camp, but that is on hold at this point. I do the usual girl stuff too, like quilting and cooking/canning etc. We spent many weekends riding our motorcycles, but my cancer treatments robbed me of my strength, so my bike sits waiting for me. Mostly, I enjoy life and my family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 08:52 pm:

This weekend it's supposed to be cooler. The wife and I plan to go for a Model A ride Sunday morning. Sunday afternoon I am gonna go for a short drive in my model t 26 rpu. Working on finishing up my 26 roadster maintenance before the fall gets here and want to carry it to a few shows. Normally I work on a Model A or T for fun but this fall I am starting a 65 mustang coupe project I bought 14 years ago and have had it put up waiting. I got so into the A s and T s over the last years, I put everything else on hold. We did some camping this summer and plan to have a couple short weekend trips this fall. Plan to shoot at the range this Saturday. A friend just opened up a indoor range and I have guns that I want to try out. Can't plan much more in the next few months we have a granddaughter coming in the next 4 weeks!! Sounds busy but fun...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 08:58 pm:

Play pool, ride motorcycles, and enjoy target shooting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 09:01 pm:

Work on the T's, drive the T's, mow grass, spray weeds. General putzing also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 09:10 pm:

Motorcycle riding and competitive shooting with N-SSA (North South Skirmish Association). All of our skirmish guns are original except my wife's 2 band Enfield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

Hunting in season, fishing in season, cruising on the pontoon, doing home improvements, volunteering, cutting wood for heating, hiking in the woods, and occasionally sneaking off to Canada to see old friends and enjoy all the outdoors has to offer. On rainy days I work on the Model T's in the garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 09:20 pm:

Riding harley. Working on T's. Shooting at the 1000 yrd range that happens to be 1 1/2 miles from my house. Loading ammo and building long range guns. Shooting has taken back seat to these tin and wood oil dripers in the last couple years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

I am 81 and many people my age go to a gym for exercise. In fact I know a man who goes to the gym for a workout while someone in the parking lot polishes his car! I have an acre and I cut the weeds with a hoe, Prune the trees and shrubs, Fill holes with shovel and wheelbarrow, catch gophers with a trap, rake up leaves and compost them etc. I work on my T's and other peoples T's and wash and polish my own cars. I help with some of the housework such as mopping floors and cleaning windows, painting etc. Those are my gym.

I am a director of our town historical society and helped them restore a buggy also help as a docent sometimes when the museum is open. Also teach an adult bible class at church on Sunday morning.

When we go on vacation, we see the children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren who don't live in this area.

So there is a lot to do other than Model T's. I enjoy working on the T's and driving them and Saturday will be in a parade in the next town up the road.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 09:42 pm:

I like a pack trip into the central Idaho wilderness, and working my ponies on cattle. I also like to work my dogs on the dog toys, uh, I mean range maggots. . . er . . . sheep, that is

I find it interesting how many "T guys " do some shooting. I like to pop a few caps now and then too !
!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 09:46 pm:

I still keep my store open 50 hours a week and have a mini storage with about 200 units. I live in a 90 year old frame home on a 1 acre lot in a climate where vines grow about a foot a week and you have to mow once a week about 8 months out of the year. I'm 71 and still do every thing my self so aside from playing with my T there isn't much else. Sadly, or maybe it's a good thing, I don't hanker to do much except maybe go metal detecting now and then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

Every time I hear or read some member in "the Cold Belt" complain about having long winters and short touring seasons, I think, boy am I lucky to be able to tour all year. Then summertime comes to the Texas Gulf coast with almost every day in the 90+ range and humidity anywhere from 60 to 100 per cent and then I think, wouldn't it be nice to live in the far NW or the far NE?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 10:52 pm:

Just returned from Poor Boy Tour with the three grandkids of 8, 9, and 10. Grandma, I. and kids had a great time where Davey Crockett grew up. Being a Certified Flight Instructor is very rewarding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 11:13 pm:

I am, and have been since I was a little kid, completely and totally "ate up" with old cars.

I like anything pre-safety bumper (1973ish), especially if it is wearing original paint or if it has a good story to tell.

Other than that, I'm really into historical sites, especially Texas history and love giving tours of the various Republic of Texas sites.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 11:35 pm:

In the Don't mind doing category are chores like mowing & yard work, carpentry, cutting & splitting firewood, etc. In the Really like dong category are travel and camping. Unfortunately I spend too much time on Don't mind and not enough on Really like. I'm very much looking forward to having my touring car ready for some real traveling and camping. Maybe I'll be ready to hit the road with it by next spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 12:32 am:

As an ordained minister I work with 40-100 special needs adults every Sunday during their Bible study and worship time, then head to the sanctuary and play in the band, mandolin, bass, or trumpet for the worship service. It's a non-paid position so I have to work as a computer tech at a school with 400 computers during the week. My wife and I like driving our car around to places to visit which we restored in five years. We worked on it together and it was great for our marriage. Originally, we bought it, in non-working condition, to haul band equipment around with. We also restored a 1950 F1 and use it for disaster recovery, as seen here when a tornado hit New Orleans earlier this year. We sold the modern truck, so I have to drive one of these two old vehicles every day.
Vern

53 chevy
Tornado F1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 01:44 am:

I got rid of that darn Corvette and bought a motorcycle for my son and one for myself. He promises me I'll get paid back. I don't care if I do I'm having so darn much fun riding with him I could care less about the money. We also fish, shoot bows, shotguns and handguns, watch a little television and drink a beer once in awhile. We like getting together with his two dogs and my one and watch them work a field or chase sticks out in the lake. We discuss politics, religion, family and friends. We're both single with no plans for marriage. But we both like to admire and appreciate good looking women. Sometimes we disagree, most times we don't. We stay as far away from family events as possible. He's not all that interested in Model T's and truth be known I haven't done much with any of mine this summer. Currently my daughter is facing open heart surgery in the next couple weeks and that's occupying a lot of our thoughts. She's only 36 years old and I only found out about it today. So, if you'll excuse me for now, I'll return when time permits. God bless you all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 02:11 am:

Good Luck with the daughter, Mike.

One of the things my son and grandson have always enjoyed is backpacking in the high Sierra mountains. We're planning a trip to summit Mt. Whitney. Highest peak in lower US at 15,505ft. We also enjoy working in the shop on his jeep, remodeling his house on the Colorado River or doing maint work on a mountain house that I have, It's great time when a father and son can enjoy working together on projects. I feel truly blessed I'm still able to do these things. The Whitney summit may be a challenge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 06:16 am:

Mike, our thoughts are with you and for your daughter. We know what it's like to deal with something like this. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 06:46 am:

Good luck with the daughter! I have been hitched 46 years, we birdwatch, we enjoy all around time together. I work on my antique car replicas,the grandson's race cars, the neighbors mowers (welding)and we go to the gym a couple times a week. I cook some, do a little housework (I'm much better at making a mess). Visit our son and our daughter and her kids. Of course when the grandkids hit the late teens their interests are newer cars, boyfriends and girlfriends. Such is life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 06:46 am:

Since being disabled I've become a book hound, 100s of books per year. With the brain damage it's like trying to keep a bucket full that has a hole in it. Every now and then the stars align and I invent something semi useful which pleases me but makes me no money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 07:54 am:

Playing with cars since they are never done.
Love to shoot as well

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 08:01 am:

I enjoy working on my Packard, my research and appraisal work with RM Sotheby's and Auctions America, spending time with my wife and my 16 month old daughter, playing tennis, watching Liverpool FC, woodworking, writing, and reading.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 08:23 am:

We've lived in Ecuador 4.5 years now and there are always things to do exploring the long coastline between Peru and Colombia to the peaks of the Andes. Sometimes just sitting and enjoying the view is OK too :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 10:50 am:

Our whole family is in to WWII living history and do several events each year with our 1942 Ford Sedan and 1942 Willys Jeep. My daughter does Red Cross Motor Corps, wife Red Cross Clubmobile, and I do 15 Corps Jeep driver. My son and his wife are out of the country most of the time, but join is when they can. My daughter-in-law is Russian and does a Russian Night Witch pilot when she's here.

We also enjoy doing period things in the A's and T's, dressing in period outfits and setting up a picnic display.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 11:11 am:

Tim - I think I met General Putzing at Ft Lost-in-the-Woods in the 75!

Rich - It is surprising to see so many T guys interested in shooting.
We live near the Sig Pro-shop and have connections, thus we have a bunch of Sig handguns.
-Fantastic weapons! :-)

I also see that a lot of us spend time at church and play with old cars.

My wife's idea of camping is a Holiday Inn with an indoor pool.
She is a gourmet cook as evidenced by my weight.

Mike - Please keep us informed about your daughter - she is on our prayer list!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 11:30 am:

I build scale model cars, ride my bicycle, work on my '62 Lincoln Convertible, take my girls to the park, work on home improvement projects with my wife and we really enjoy camping. I am a fairly accomplished cook so I enjoy that on the weekend. Reading and writing are other sources of pleasure. Frequently, we visit my parents on the weekend as my dad has Parkinson's disease so we try to maximize time there.

I find it interesting to see how diverse the interests are in this group.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 12:21 pm:

I too was surprised by the number of people who shoot (Or admit to it on the forum, given some of the negative comments I've seen on here about the subject). I didn't mention it above, but I have a 100 yd rifle range in the back yard (Although most of my shooting takes place at 50). We also cast bullets for practically all our guns and reload all ammo except .22 rimfire. Since we got into N-SSA, we have not shot much smokeless powder at all. My wife has a Sharps and a Starr carbine that we have to make consumable paper cartridges for. I have a Merrill carbine that I will likely do the same for. I've experimented with them a little in it, but need more load development before I shoot it in competition. This time of year, it's just too hot to be enjoyable sitting in the sun, sweating and swatting gnats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 12:44 pm:

Besides playing with my T, I've been into old Indian motorcycles for many years. I also play with old sewing machines and have been a Civil War reenactor for nearly 10 years where I typically portray an ordnance sergeant or ordnance officer. I've been collecting, repairing and shooting antique guns since the 1970s, with a focus on the black powder cartridge era (1860 - 1890) - rolling blocks, Sharps, Spencers, trapdoors, Winchesters and various other oddballs. I make or modify cases to suit my long obsolete cartridges. I have a small home machine shop that really helps. Of yeah, I like antique machine tools also.

Probably my main hobby is driving my dear wife nuts ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 01:27 pm:

Chevy musclecars, Model Ts, guns, Ford Tractors, kart racing, autocross racing, drinking beer and standing around talking to people with any of those same interests. :-)

I have currently spread myself so thin with work, kids, and multiple expensive hobbies that I really don't get a chance to enjoy any of them. My T is broken, the Chevelle has been apart for 7 years, the 2N Ford barely runs, the guns come out of the safe less than once a year, and I sold the autocross Miata to buy parts for the unfinished project Chevelle.

I need to focus.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 02:49 pm:

Derek, did you already forget about your last project car you just bought and haven't picked up yet? Your mother would like to see it out of our garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 03:30 pm:

Steve,

How about Smiths, Burnsides, Maynards, and Gallaghers? I have the first two, but not the last two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 03:32 pm:

#1- Spend time with my wife of 30 years. I also go 4 wheeling in the desert with my sons and friends. Have a modified Suzuki Samurai that was a project shared with my sons. (I'm the bane of the jeep owners existence). Also play with antique gas engines, I like the ones others have gave up on. and work on the house.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 04:51 pm:

Hal - many years ago I had a Burnside. It was an oddball cartridge, but it shot extremely well. Just over 2" at 50 yards. I still have the target tracings in my log. More recently I've been playing with a rolling block in .58 Roberts. It's a REAL oddball almost no one has heard of. Here's a photo of it, next to a .22 short for comparison.

rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 04:58 pm:

The diversity is fascinating!

As for me, I still work at my profession and, God willing, never, ever want to retire. Being self-employed still leaves me time to play with and work on all my vintage cars. Although I'm more of an automotive historian and no mechanic, working on them is like therapy.

I also collect antique phonographs, records and, cylinders; antique radios and; all sorts of other old stuff.

I'm very lucky in that my wife and four (now grown) kids and my granddaughter LOVE the cars, so it's a real family oriented pastime.

I LOVE to cook!!! I do all the cooking at home (mostly Italian, of course!). If I wasn't doing what I do for a living, I'd be a chef. My grandfather was the Executive Chef at the Excelsior Hotel in Rome (I'm first generation) and now two of my kids are trained professional chefs. Must be in the blood!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 07:00 pm:

We like to tour such as--Grand Canyon, Mackinac Bridge, Gettysburg, Kanab, Road America at Elkhart Lake, Creede Co, Daytona Beach, Bryce Canyon, Trail Ridge Road, Natchez Trace, and Key West. Poor Boy, Mount Rushmore, Indy Covered Bridge, Hill Billy and the Florida Winter Tours are some of the best that we have experienced so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 09:13 pm:

I caught 23 lobsters by hand this past week during the 2 day sport season. Most of them are alive and well in our big tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 09:28 pm:

Any other bagpipe players out there? Always a challenge getting in and out of a T wearing a kilt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 10:13 pm:

Putter on the lathe, watch TV, sleep, cook and eat what I cook, read the forums. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 12:31 am:

Wow what a diverse collections of hobbies and interests.

Since being semi retired, my job is to keep the fleet running. my wife likes loud and fast so she drives a Shelby Cobra, a vintage Corvette, and a newer Mercedes sports car. so between the brass cars, the loud and fast cars, machine work, restorations, chasing a couple fast small dogs, my wife and I have found a new hobby.

We purchased a small out of the way up in the mountains hideaway. We sneak off and vegetate for a few days at a time. It gets her away from her Subaru Service Centers and gets me away from the fleet.

Next, we are going to co-ed gun safety classes starting in August. So for 6 weeks on Sunday evenings we are going to learn the safest way to handle a gun. Ten we advance to actual target practice. stay tuned for further updates!!!!!

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 09:11 am:

Oh and I build reproduction black powder weapons, mostly blunderbusses.

www.swabsarmory.com

A bit crowded in the live well on the boat

More room once back at the house in the tank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 09:55 am:

About 35 years ago my father-in-law gave me a short Japanese sword he captured in Okinawa in WWII. During it's restoration I found out it was made in 1681. It has sparked an interest in Japanese antiques and today my house is full of them. The dagger was recently found in Virginia at an antique shop whose owner told me not to buy it as it was a modern reproduction. After an expensive professional restoration it papered to a smith named Kunimune who made this somewhere between 1492-1501! Pretty neat to save something made during the time of Columbus!

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 01:08 pm:

Retirement is so busy! Like to hunt (pheasants-have 2 German short-hairs, ducks/geese, deer, fish, kayak with daughter. Have too big of garden, apples, pears, plums, apricot trees. Need to sight in muzzle loader for deer season and will cross-bow hunt deer. Also need to sight in my 7mm-08 yet for fall. Painted house with 2 coats in June, now painting doors and car trailer. Been making wines for about 5 years, have 6 gallons to bottle, then another batch of black currant wine. Looking forward to hunting deer this fall with my daughter (here’s her first buck) and wife. Old cars always needing work. How’d we every get anything done when we were working?
Fun Times

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 11:29 pm:

I do have to say that you folks are very busy! :-)
Chuck, you asked it correctly! How's we get anything done? Perhaps we was tougher then. :-)
I do like making limited quantity hardwood wooden toys (race cars, trucks, tractors and hay racks).
Machined Japanese Mahogany wheels. Not bought.
My old stuff here gives me great joy. 1953 motor grader, '83 skid loader, need to get the '45 Ford dump truck running again along with the '29 IH speedster flatbed along with the '28 Twin City.
I really need to grade the driveway...
Messing with this new batch of T's has been wonderful and has helped motivate me!
Life, marriage and grandchildren can get in the way, so to speak.
Just went for a longer run with the '18 psychodelic Runabout now it's cooling outdoors. Ahhhh!
Ya' know how it is. OK I'll go a little farther this time to test.
I need to say that working 4 hours a day at a factory, building aircraft towbars, gives me joy that cannot be described.
Old co-workers and new ones are just wonderful. They treat me so darned good.
Family kind of thing and many have the same feelings of our past lives.
3 of my grandson's are gonna kill me, I swear! No, not really but playing dad/father again/still?
Terribly tiring and yet VERY rewarding. I do enjoy their presence here.
:-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration