Generator charging issues.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Generator charging issues.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Ledbetter on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 10:14 pm:

I got a used generator for my 26. All looked ok and had a reputable shop double check it. They confirmed all was good. Put a new diode cutout on it to be safe. When I put it on the car the ammeter showed no charge. I jumped the terminals and it acted like I grounded it out. Ammeter showed massive discharge. I just don't know where to start to trouble shoot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 04:32 am:

A good place to start is page 249 of the service book. Chapter XXVI, "Tracing Trouble In The Generator".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 08:40 am:

reputable shop...

is probably good at fixing "modern" generators, but most likely have no idea how to fix a Model T generator.

If you do not wish to send it away to one of our experienced Forum posters who specialize in these devices, and if there is not a knowledgeable T person near you, Dan's words are the best way to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 09:38 am:

"Reputable" shop should at least be capable of verifying armature condition. Read pp 3-15 of the MTFCA Electrical System book before you go and take that book with you to walk them through the procedures if need be. This video by Mike Bender, et. al., is also an excellent guide to model T generator function and repair. (Your problems could be as simple as dirty brushes and fried diode, but it all needs checking out.)good luck, jb

http://modelt-tips.com/Electrical/01.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 11:20 am:

If the battery is backward, or if the diode was made for a positive ground, you will have a massive ground because the diode will allow current to flow in one direction but not in the other.

The battery on a Model T should be negative ground and the diode should allow the current to flow from the generator toward the battery but block the current from flowing from the battery toward the generator.

So before you spend a lot of money getting the generator "fixed" check those two items first and correct if necessary, then check the generator again.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 01:18 pm:

I think all was correct when he first put the generator on since if the diode was backwards it would have shown the heavy current at that time but when he saw no charge he JUMPERED the diode and that have then applied the battery directly to a non spinning generator and that would cause large discharge as he witnessed since the armature resistance is less than 1 ohm. I think if he didn't hold the wire in place on the generator then probably no harm happened but he needs to learn how to adjust the 3rd brush on the generator since it is probable that the third brush is not set where it should be. First verify that turning on the headlights with engine stopped will in fact show a discharge on the ammeter in the 8-12 amp range since if the ammeter is not accurate then the 3rd brush won't be set accurate either.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration