1927 Taxi-Huckster Body questions-Assembly

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1927 Taxi-Huckster Body questions-Assembly
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Campbell on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 11:55 pm:

My shop received a 1927 Taxi used in Mexico City in the 1980's. It had been totally disassembled, and the mechanic passed away. We have been asked to reassemble it. We primarily work on Model A's and cars/trucks from 1910-1960. This is our first T.
1. Where can I find photos of what a dash board would look like for a 1927? We have nothing.
2. We have a fresh rebuilt engine to go in. Using a distributor, which we do not have. We need suggestions on wiring correctly. I want it close to original, but safe and reliable.
3. Carburetor suggestions. We have only parts of an old Vaporizer system, changing to an NH carb.
I will have lots more questions as we go.
Lastly, there are brackets on the inside of the firewall about halfway up each side. Can anyone advise what they are for, or what attached to them??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 12:53 am:

Welcome to the forum! Someone will soon chime in with a list of books that you can get to help with that. Somebody else will also be quick to ask for pictures. And then there will be a panel of experts to inform you about what you have. And finally, someone in your local may even volunteer to see your find and lend a hand.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 01:32 am:

Robert, you just missed 20 of the best Model T folks in southeast Michigan. Last week the Casual Ts toured the upper Lower peninsula and stopped in Beulah.

Are you sure you need to buy a distributor? It might be easier to install the coils used originally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 10:06 am:

#1 Unless it used a metal cowl, there would be no dashboard, just the wood firewall. Ignition switch/ammeter would mount to the firewall.

#2 If the rebuilt engine has a magneto you won't need the distributor. If you want to go with the distributor, most of the vendors sell them. Re: wiring it may be better to have a custom loom made.

Re: the brackets midway up the firewall could be for door check straps?

For more info you can use Google and put MTFCA at the beginning or end of the string and you will get plenty of info

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 10:26 am:

Robert, I'm sure you would get more information if you could post detailed pictures of exactly what you have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 06:49 pm:

Is this a representation of an earlier commercial chassis dash? I believe so.
I couldn't find a pic with the late switch...

dash2

This image was lifted from the net.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Campbell on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 09:13 am:

I would post photos if I knew how to make the photos smaller in pixel size to post on the sight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 09:19 am:

Open in Microsoft Paint,
[Ctrl]-W (resize keystrokes)
Change the horizontal and vertical percentages the same so that the image keeps the same aspect ratio.
Try 50 in both.
Save-as a different file name so that you don't destroy the original but save it in the same folder as the original.
Compare the file sizes, making sure the revision is below 250kb.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 09:43 am:

picresize.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 10:49 pm:

Robert,

Welcome to the forum!

the most important trick is to have the pictures/images 250kb or less. I shoot for 240kb or less -- that way if I am 9 over it still works easily.

Some postings on resizing photos:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/650223.html?1465965265

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/734727.html?1489249699

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/582369.html?1445989969

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/497060.html?1417473815

Note the older posting say below 200kb size, but they increased it to 250kb since then.

If you right click and save a photo that is already posted -- you can practice posting that. It is already under 250kb.

Note you want to have it large enough to see details or at least to let folks zoom in and see details.

You will figure it out soon. It takes a little longer than some things but it should not be an hour long project. If you have a child or grandchild they can usually show you and coach you through it.

Note -- Ford USA did NOT produce a Taxi in 1927. So the vehicle used as a Taxi could have been a stock Model T car or some type or it may have been a Ton Truck converted to a Taxi, or it may have been conversion of a car chassis or Ton Truck chassis to serve as a Taxi.

The engine and transmission are essentially the same in the T car chassis and the Ton Truck (TT) chassis. But the frame, wheel base, and rear axle are substantial stronger on the TT.

Above is a 1920 illustration of the car chassis. The 1926 was a little lower and a little different front fenders.

Below is the 1926-27 Ton Truck chassis

Note a 1926-27 car or truck would have had a metal firewall on the chassis from the factory.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Campbell on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 12:24 am:

These are the brackets inside the firewall about a foot off the floor area I am trying to figure out what they are for. There is one on each side of the inside of the firewallfirewall brackets

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Campbell on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 12:29 am:

This is the vehicle we have in my shop. Listed as a 1927 TVehicle photo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 08:21 am:

Robert from the one photo showing the overall vehicle it appears to be based on the 1926-27 car chassis. Unfortunately the single photo does not allow me to zoom in and see many details. My computer saved it as a 76KB file, so I cannot zoom in on it much at all before it starts to get grainy and I can no longer make out details. While you need to stay under the 250KB size to get them to post, having them close to 240 makes it possible to see many additional details.

Below is an illustration of the 1926-27 car chassis firewall part 3634-L:

But many folks will use the metal firewall from a 1926-27 Fordor (it is easy to remove from the basically wooden framed body) to convert a 1926-27 car chassis to a speedster, depot hack, truck or in as your body was used as a taxi. See: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/276839.html
For a further discussion of that style firewall that was originally only used on the 1926-27 style cars (requires a different hood from the earlier cars).
Several aftermarket body makers produced bodies for the Model T car as well as Ton Truck chassis. For one example please see: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/532593.html?1428947677 That also gives you an idea of pictures to post that provide additional clues. And of course people built their own bodies back in the day as well as today.
Reference your question about the bracket. I cannot see it in the photo of the complete car. But from the zoomed in photo I do not remember seeing one of those before. I suspect, but I do not know, that it is a non-Ford part.
Good luck with the project.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Campbell on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 09:50 am:

Thanks Hap. I sent a PM to your email with three photos.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 11:18 am:

From one Robert to another,
Don't know if this helps or not, but here are some photos of my 27 Depot Hack. It shows the small wooden dash braket for the gage and key, a bracket that is on this firewall to support the body side and door support and the passenger front door and it's short cowl structure. The open door photo shows my door swinging all the way open flush and does not have any door stop straps. So I don't know if your brackets are for this purpose or not.

I know it's apples and oranges, but thought it might provide you with some visual aids.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Campbell on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 12:06 am:

I don't have any doors, but I thank you for the dash photo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 07:21 am:

Robert,

Thanks for the 2 higher resolution photos. Note, the one of the complete car was still the 76kb-ish size. If you have a higher resolution of that one, we could probably tell if you have the 1926-27 lower front spindles or not. Or perhaps someone with better eyes can tell from the same photo you have posted above. But I can not zoom in and tell for sure on my computer.

Below are cropped shots of what you sent -- showing the bracket on the inside of the metal dash.

Hopefully someone more familiar with the 1926-27 firewalls will chime in with what those brackets were for. At least now I know they are on the inside of the car and not the engine side of the firewall -- I missed that the first time.

Note also that it appears to have the 4 rivet ID patent plate showing on the firewall in the photo that shows the bracket on the passenger side. There is a slim chance that is a body maker tag, but it looks the correct size for the older ID patent plate.

Note -- I posted 76 kb size because I'm in a hurry and that was quicker.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Campbell on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 08:53 am:

Thanks for the help!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration