Rear Brakes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Rear Brakes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman Miller on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 04:59 pm:

I just installed my rebuilt rear axle and driveshaft and Rocky Mtn Brakes. Now I'm having trouble adjusting my original parking brake rods. When I put the brake lever all the way front for high gear it pushes the brake rods to the rear and seems to engage the parking brake by turning the cam in the opposite direction. Can I grind the brake shoes for cam clearance where I have circled in red (photo)
Another question Do Brake Cam Levers always point up? cam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Billing on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 05:08 pm:

Can you not shorten up the brake rods?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 05:14 pm:

Adjust the brake rods shorter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 05:26 pm:

Yes, the levers go up. Rather than altering the shoes, try adjusting the clevises. See Paragraph 75-c on Page 26 in the manual.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 05:37 pm:

Did you swap the brake cams from side to side? There is a right and left brake cam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 07:22 pm:

Norman, the little rotation of the cam in your photo will give next to no expansion of the shoes. To me it looks about right. If you adjust the rods so that the cam is flat when the handbrake is right forward, when you select neutral the cam will be rotated to the position you show and the brakes may drag rather than give you a free rolling car.

I believe the rods should be set so that the cam is flat when the car is in neutral. This means there will be slight rotation when the car is in high, as you show. The cam will come back to flat when in neutral, and then rotate further as the brake is applied. If you have drag in high gear when the rods are set for this adjustment, then perhaps the linings will need a little relief.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman Miller on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 10:24 am:

I do learn from my mistakes! It looks like I had the cam levers upside down AND the left and right cams reversed. How do you tell a left from a right cam there not marked. In Steve's photo it looks like the cam levers point up and to the rear. THANKS EVERYBODY, Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 11:48 am:

Norman ; Perhaps is this a solution for your problem .
263L
264M

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 08:22 pm:

Norm, you tell left from right cams by trial fitting. You need to remember that the levers go up, and those need to be oriented on the cams and rivet holes so they lean to the rear. Once they are set then they can be riveted.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration