Car not starting..owner lost

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Car not starting..owner lost
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Wells on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 05:24 pm:

I took the car out for a ride the other night...ran fine. I parked the car for a couple of hours.. hopped back in. Started the car and drove about 20 yards, and it died...lost all electrical power.

It does nothing when stepping on the starter...no headlamps, but the horn works. Battery tests good. I checked the wiring from the battery all the way to the ignition switch, all seems to be good. I jumped across the starter switch and nothing.

I am a newbie to the T's, and the experts here have helped me solve a couple of other issues...so here I am again...HELP!

Like I had said, I am a newbie, and have struggled a bit on some other issues, but electrical is my weak point..haha.

If I was to take an educated guess, I would say ignition switch. But don't know if that makes sense since the car was running and died...any and all help appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 05:38 pm:

Sounds like a weak ground. Check to be sure the ground cable has a good, tight, clean connection to the battery and the frame. I assume your wiring check included the other battery cable (F/G). When the car died, was it running on MAG, or BAT?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 05:42 pm:

6V takes twice the amperage as 12V to perform the same task. That means the connections have to be "good" and clean. "Good" meaning, you need more than just a small point of contact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 07:02 pm:

Bad ground from battery to chassis- #91 on Steve's schematic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 07:08 pm:

It is not enough to just tighten up connections. The ground strap should be undone at the frame and the contact area cleaned back to bare metal on the frame and cables. Then there will be proper contact between the components. This is even more important on a 6 volt system.
Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ressijac on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 09:21 pm:

Had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. Starting at the battery and going to the started, I disconnected each point, cleaned with a little mineral spirit, and polished each connection with emery cloth. Also check to make sure all the connection on the terminal block were clean and tight. Once reconnected started stronger than ever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 10:36 pm:

Look at your magneto post and see if the wire got disconnected. -If it did, you might be tempted to really tighten the nut down on that sucker so it doesn't come loose again. -Do not give into that temptation. -I can tell you from exasperated experience that the threaded part of the brass post breaks with astonishing ease if over-tightened.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 02:40 am:

Like everyone above has said, check your connections!
Had the same trouble with my '26 roadster. Started great, ran great. One day driving, it just died. Didn't know what I was doing, but wanted to look like I knew. Got out, opened the hood, wriggled the wires on the terminal block, engine roared to life, and down the street it went. I'd forgotten to shut off the key or take it out of gear when it died. Finally caught up to it a block down the street.
Thank goodness for the running board!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Wells on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 12:57 pm:

I have to say....you guys are awesome!!

I took the ground strap off at the frame, a little cleaning... and ...perfect!

Thanks again...this site is invaluable!

BTW Steve, it was running on mag when it died.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 01:12 pm:

If it died on MAG, when it wasn't using the battery, that makes me suspect you may have a loose/intermittent connection at Y, Z, or 2. I once had that kind of problem and it turned out to be caused by a cracked terminal block that wouldn't hold some of the screws tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 09:01 am:

AND thank goodness that YOU, Bob have long legs! :-)
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 05:02 pm:

Bob B, What? You don't like free starts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Wells on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 03:29 pm:

Steve, thanks for the info. I did find the connection at "Z" magneto plug was barely finger tight!

Awesome info, thanks again for the diagram.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 04:18 pm:

Dennis,
Did the car start? The magneto plug should have nothing to do with the starter unless you have a charger which works off the magneto. (don't connect the magneto to the battery or you risk destroying the magneto) The starter is connected through the switch directly from the battery. And all the other wiring is connected from the battery side of the starter switch. I would check the cables at the battery for corrosion and clean up, also clean up the ground connection as noted above.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 04:23 pm:

Dennis,
Did the car start? The magneto plug should have nothing to do with the starter unless you have a charger which works off the magneto. (don't connect the magneto to the battery or you risk destroying the magneto) The starter is connected through the switch directly from the battery. And all the other wiring is connected from the battery side of the starter switch. I would check the battery posts for corrosion and clean them up and clean up the connection of the ground cable to the frame. Also if you have bolt on battery terminals, clean them up too.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 04:31 pm:

Norman, from his Saturday post I gather that it started when he cleaned the ground to frame connection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Wells on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 05:29 pm:

Yup, the car started... I was just checking the connections Steve pointed out in his post and believe I may have saved myself some head scratching later on.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration