In Virginia City. Montana

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: In Virginia City. Montana
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 08:54 pm:

Hi,
I saw a few Model T's while I was touring around Montana and Wyoming, before leaving for Dearborn.
I thought you might like to see this one. AND....what an amazing town Virginia City is, eh?

We ate here a few times. "Fords Garage Restaurant", new to Dearborn. Fabulous atmosphere. Highly recommended.

Cheers,
Rob

(Message edited by rob patterson on July 28, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 09:11 am:

Rob, I was in Virginia City, Montana the day after my 18th birthday in 1968. It was a great place to visit. I was with my Grandfather and we had a wonderful time.

I remember Grandpa taking me into one of the establishments on Main Street owned by a fellow they called Blind Bob. The story was that Bob lost his sight in a blasting accident in one of the mines in the area.

I remember Grandpa giving Bob a $20.00 bill to pay for a bottle of beer and a bottle of coke. He handed Bob the twenty then tapped me on the shoulder and whispered "watch".

Bob then went to his cash drawer, put the twenty in the correct slot and returned with gramp's exact change. Then he said to Grandpa, "you'll never catch me on a twenty". Then he proceeded to tell us his history and all about the town.

He talked about the red light district, the two story outhouses behind the hotel and an outlaw named Henry Plummer. Apparently Henry wasn't a real good guy and was hung near Alder Gulch for robbing the locals of their prized possessions.

For a kid fresh off a Northern Minnesota farm It was a memorable day I'll never forget.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 10:26 am:

Henry was also the sheriff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 11:03 am:

As Paul says, Henry Plummer was the inspiration for the old movie cliche of the sheriff who is really one of the bad guys. I first heard of him when visiting the old mining town of Bannack, which is now a state park.

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/mt-henryplummer.html

Mom (right) with sisters Mary and Ernestine at the Meade Hotel in Bannack, 1971.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 11:18 am:

And the haunted Meade Hotel lives on, http://hauntedhouses.com/states/mt/meade_hotel.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 12:15 am:

Bob Allen from the Seattle area was born in Virginia City Montana. He was on the Whitefish tour with a sporty t roadster pickup and I'm guessing his constant companion Buffy his cute dog.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 12:04 pm:

Virginia City, MT had a profound influence on me at an early age.
This discussion from the Ford Barn has some comments on the T there:
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220180&highlight=Virginia+City

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 03:47 pm:

Rich, me too, and still does. I first saw Virginia in 1954, Bovey's restorations were pretty fresh, and the number of d cars in the garage at the edge of town (and their nice original condition) impressed me even at six years of age. Last time we went was in 2011, it's sad to see the cleft ions dispersed and the general decline in theast 50 years. The history and the country (Bannack included) still has a strong he on my imagination.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 05:04 pm:

Guess what ? "Cleft ions" means collections. Auto correct will have us speaking an entirely different language in a few years.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration