Step down drive shaft tube

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Step down drive shaft tube
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Batta - Dayton, Ohio on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 11:37 pm:

What was it used?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 12:13 am:

I don't think anybody knows exactly when the stepped tube was introduced. Sometime in the final few years. It was used concurrently with the tapered tube until the end of production.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 03:15 am:

My understanding is, that a few people have looked, but not found any actual record of when they were or were not used. Most of them found on unmolested original cars have been '26/'27 cars. However, enough have been found on black era Ts to believe they were used around '23 through '25 on at least some cars. They have been found on apparently unmolested cars as early as 1921 manufacture, but there is no way to know for certain that a given piece like the torque tube on a given car could not have been changed at some point in a car's past.
The early brass era Ts were mostly outsourced. Ford then assembled the various parts to produce a car. By the '20s, Ford was able to make most of the parts, for most of the cars. However, there always were pieces outsourced, even many pieces that Ford themselves built some or even most of.
It is purely speculation at this point. And I wasn't the first to say it. But the speculation is that the stepped torque tube MAY have been an outsourced piece. It has also been suggested, that they could have been an after-market replacement (Western Auto, Sears, etc). However, that really does not seem likely. Too many nice original unmolested cars have had them, and they are not a part that needed to be replaced often. I suspect they were a Ford accepted outsourced part. Ford probably bought them at about 10,000 at a time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 10:23 am:

I had an original unrestored '26 once that had a stepped torque tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 10:32 am:

...and I have what I believe to be an unmolested '27 that doesn't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 12:37 pm:

I have seen 3 steps and 4 steps.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration