Starter ? 12v

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Starter ? 12v
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 12:25 am:

Well think on my TT im gonna run a starter.
Going run 12v yes i know 6 will be just fine
Saw Macs auto parts has a new 12v starter
Anyone rinning one ? I remembered there was a few aluminum drive ends break or cracked.
Is it worth a try?
Certainly cheaper then rebiulding mine and buying all 6v that go along with it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 12:32 am:

Rick at Ford-n-more in spikane will rebuild your starter to 12 volts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 07:31 am:

You can do it yourself with a hot soldering iron and a little patience. I use 4 ga. wire rather than 8 ga. though jumpering the fields.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/373438.html?1373496998

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 09:13 am:

I ran a stock T starter on my speedster (no mag) with no problems on 12v. My Mom has a stock T starter on 12v and has been running it on 12v for at least 30 years. I would have to check but I believe both my uncles and grandfather run stock T starters on 12V.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 09:28 am:

I know you can run one on 12v
But either way my starter needs tobe rebiult

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 10:16 am:

I have a 12v starter from a vendor, has the cast aluminum nose. Not sure who made the motor end. It works great. I also am running a 6v starter on another T on 12v. It also works good. If you have to rebuild the starter use 12v coils from the vendors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 12:00 pm:

I have a 12v on my stock speedster as well, no Issues so far. I hear that some of the reproduction bendix springs have an issue not being able to handle the 12v without breaking prematurely

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 01:08 pm:

I have a modern 12-volt system on my '15 Touring, consisting of a belt-driven alternator, a hardened, starter and an Optima Red-Top battery.

The alternator is an agricultural, low-rpm type, used on tractors. -The red-top Optima is the non-liquid, zero-maintenance type, mounted beneath the rear floorboards which are removable for easy charging access. -The starter is a repro Model T unit, wired and hardened for the quicker 12-volt application. -It spins the heck out of the engine, but over the course of seven years, my ring-gear and bendix have held up just fine, thank you. -I've found that the starter has becomes a significant piece of safety equipment when I stall the engine in heavy traffic. -It's definitely a plus to be able to re-start instantly in that kind of situation.

For whatever reason, my battery discharges at the rate of 2 amps when the engine is idling, but charges acceptably at higher revs as long as my headlights are switched off. -The discharge is pretty bad when idling with the headlights on. -My suspicion is that there's something wrong with my individual alternator and a visit to an automotive electric shop would probably fix it if I ever got around to it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration