Exhaust pipe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Exhaust pipe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 09:51 am:

I may be forced to get a new exhaust pipe, so my question is, having missed out on one of Larry Smiths reproductions, which pipe should I be looking for?

I see there is standard aluminized and stainless. I thought I read that one of these fit worse that the other.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 10:30 am:

I bought mine from Snyder's in Ohio. Exhaust pipes are not created equal, and yes, they sometimes do require some bending and patience to install.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 10:39 am:

I bought the stainless pipe and it fits just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 10:42 am:

I bought whatever one Bob sells and with the exception of having to trim about 2" off the back end (better too long than too short) it popped right into place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 11:25 am:

I have one of the regular type replacements. Except for the pinch at the bend and having to trim to fit, never had any issues many want to rant about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 06:09 pm:

The bend in the pipe where the pipe is made for ideal conditions. If the frame sags around the area of the rear motor mounts (crankcase ears) the pipe will need to bent to fit or the frame needs to be straightened. Ideally the frame should be straightened, but it is a lot of work and usually done with a body off restoration, so if everything works except the fit of the pipe, bend the pipe to fit.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 07:29 pm:

Chad, whatever you choose to use, make sure the flange sits neatly against the manifold before running up the packnut. Do not be tempted to use the packnut to draw things into line. This will stress the manifold and greatly increase the chance of it becoming warped.

Hope this helps,
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mosher on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 07:44 pm:

Does anyone use any kind of muffler cement? I have a small leak I just can't seal. I think a small bead around the flange might help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 12:09 am:

It always helps to identify the year of your Ford. They changed the design of the exhaust pipe many times during production.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 01:06 am:

One of the better fitting stainless steel pipes that a lot of members swear by, was made and sold by the late Vern Campbell, They were not the late design pipes made by Larry. P.M. me if you want to know more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 06:06 am:

Larry, you are right. I entirely pulled a rookie move and forgot to put the year. It is for a '25.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration