Canadian wire wheel hubcaps

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Canadian wire wheel hubcaps
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 11:39 am:

I have a 26 Canadian touring car with wire wheels, does anyone know where to get made in Canada hubcaps ? The radiator shell, running boards and the engine all have made in Canada. I have never seen a Canadian hubcap. Were they ever made? As always thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 01:42 pm:

Haven't seen an original 'Made in Canada' Ford wire wheel cap before. Perhaps the wire wheel caps just had the 'made in' deleted like the wood wheel caps, as those Canada wood wheel caps just were Ford only for the twenties.

Now, the USA wire wheel hub caps are Part # 2285, with Factory # T-7727BS. (Aug 1, 1926 Price list of Parts)

In the Aust. 1927 Price List of Parts the wire wheel hub cap is noted as Factory # T-7727BX.
Since this is different fac. no., indicates a change, either the USA is gone, (like the earlier wood wheel hub cap), or Made In Canada was added?

USA, original and repro wire wheel hub caps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 12:00 am:

How about comments from you guys in Australia? Your cars were made in Canada correct? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 12:43 am:

John,
I replaced a set some years ago with some USA ones and as luck would have it, I found 2 of the old ones just now, just have the Ford logo on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 06:01 am:

Frank,

Thank you for posting the photos of the wire wheel hub caps. I wonder if any of those were produced in Australia?

John,

Just a interesting (to me anyway) side note. The 1926-27 open Model Ts were assembled/produced in Australia using primarily parts supplied by Ford of Canada. But they had their own Ford assembly plant by that time.

Their open car bodies used panels from Ford of Canada. But the panels were attached to wooden framed skeletons like the previous open car construction. Rather than going to the all structural steel body that used wood for the upholstery attachment points etc. but not for structural purposes. See the posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/68831.html?1225239602 for additional details.

Note complete Ford of Canada enclosed cars were allowed to be imported to Australia under a special deal that reduced the tariff that would normally be due on a fully assembled car.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 06:10 am:

Caution thread drift ahead:

John,

If you would like to know which Ford of Canada production plant produced your car (or at least assembled the body onto the original chassis if things were swapped out later) please see the posting at:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/196599.html?1299852394

If you believe the engine and body are original to the car, and if you get a chance, would you please e-mail me the assembly plant body number? I'm very slowly trying to compile a data base with those numbers. Hopefully one day if a body is found without the chassis, the database will help date the body within a few months or so.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 09:26 am:

Thanks Guys, It looks like they made them but were not marked as such. Hap, my engine is not original to the car. Did engine and frame numbers match, like here?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 07:31 am:

John,

Starting sometime during the 1926 production (and possibly? with the end of 1925 production if a country continued the older style in to Calendar year 1926) around the same general time frame as the main USA plant started, the other assembly plants also started stamping the engine number onto the frame rails. Note, I have been transferring information from my older computer to the newer one. Below is the Canadian engine serial number stamped on the frame of Vic's 1926 Canadian Ton Truck (thank you Vic for sharing that):

Note the engine numbers on the frame could be stamped on either side - left or right. Usually you can pick the front floorboards up, look down and see it -- if it is there.

So as time went on it is more likely that a Canadian car frame was stamped with the engine number. And originally the number on the engine and frame (when stamped at the factory) agreed.

That is also true for the Canadian Plant Assembly number stamped on the engine side of the firewall just below the radiator rod.

That frame number if present gives you another clue on the approximate time frame a car may have been produced.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration