Thrilling a 96yo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Thrilling a 96yo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 01:01 am:

This weekend I gave my wife's grandmother a ride in my 27 Tudor. Grandma is a spirited 96 years old and doing great in independent living. We called her up and told her to come down for a surprise. When she saw the car, she jumped in the air (!) like a child on Halloween. She was thrilled. As we drove around for 25 minutes, she recalled that her own grandfather had a T when she was 12 or so - some 84 years ago. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to ride in the same car in the 1930's with your grandfather as you are in 2017 with your great grand-daughter. Amazing. It made my day, and I know it made her day/week/month, at least. That was a pretty special ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 02:03 am:

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 06:44 am:

Eido,

Thank you for sharing. How special it must have been for all of you! Model T's can be great door openers to memories, stories -- both old ones and to help write new ones, as well as relationships.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 07:18 am:

Good stuff.

I plan on giving my wife's grandmother (born in 1924) a ride in my 24 Touring as soon as it's up and going.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 08:30 am:

One car spanning 6 generations. Granted, I didn't have her grandfather's car (he apparently had a touring car), but that still blows me away. Not many thing can link 6 generations in a way that inspires such joy for everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 09:28 am:

Eido...good for you! Sounds exactly like the reaction I got couple of weeks ago when I had the thrill of taking a 96 y.o. "youngster" out for a ride that pulled up next to me at the huge city ferry dock/parking lot. It was great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Stubenvoll on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 10:31 am:

Years ago when I had finished my first "T" restoration, I drove it to a local nursing home and offered rides. The next time I scheduled a visit, the staff had wheeled out the ambulatory patients as well, just to watch. You can't know how good that feels until you do it. If your local chapter or group wants to hear some great stories and make someone's life a little brighter, you'll not find a better way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 10:43 am:

Eido, not exactly the same thing, but your comment brought this to mind. In 1959, I was a freshman in college and away from home on my birthday for the first time. My dad borrowed a reel-to-reel tape recorder and the family made me a long birthday tape in which everyone spoke at some length. My parents, my grandparents and my great-grandmother were there. I still have the tape and it has been converted to a digital file. Now, 58 years later, my grandchildren can hear the voices of their great-grandparents, their great-great-grandparents and their great-great-great-grandmother (also six generations). Ain't technology grand? :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration