UPDATE.. 1st Model T...with a question??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: UPDATE.. 1st Model T...with a question??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 07:44 am:

Hello everyone. Foe over 2 years I have read and watched videos on this site. Taking in as much as I could about Model Ts. Even posting once in
awhile. About 2 months ago. I posted I was buying my 1st Model T Coupe. Well after a 5 hr round trip that fell thru. Needless to say I was not happy. Update... While surfing Craigslist in my area. I came across almost the same car but less then 20 miles away. WOW.I couldn't believe it. Upon meeting this great guy and his family. We agreed on a price which was $1,500.00 LESS then the first T. He also thru in a bunch of tools and books a tire ETC.. The car was originally sold in the same town back in the 1920s and his DAD has had the car since the 1960s. The history is amazing. Thank you so much to that family Especially Brian.
Now, here is the question I have. The title says it is a 1924. But I think the engine might have been switched out. The VIN number is a 1924. But, the #number on the engine states that it is a 1923. ANY THOUGHTS???
Thank you in advance as always.
Cheers ,
PaulMy 1st T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 07:54 am:

What month was the engine cast, if it is October or later in 1923 than it is considered a 1924 model.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 07:54 am:

Sometimes engines sat around for a bit and your engine may have been produced in late 1923 and installed on a body with 1924 changes. If I remember correctly 1924 was a change over year for the Coupe doors/handles. On the 1923's the handles were on the front and the doors opened forward......"suicide doors" !
Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 08:12 am:

As the other guys have suggested, model years and calendar years are not the same. If your car was made from August through December of 1923, it's a 1924 model, as the presence of a radiator apron indicates.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG90.html

It looks like a swell car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 08:44 am:

Thanks for the information. I am pretty sure its a 1924. I will do some more research.
Cheers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 08:45 am:

It also looks to have the high hood and wide radiator of a 1924. I agree, Nice Car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 08:46 am:

This happen with 23's/24's more often than with other years, because Ford began making the '24-style (high radiator) cars in June of '23. The high-radiator cars are considered to be '24 model year cars, even though they were built before Ford's "official" '24 model year which began on 1 August. Clear as mud? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 09:00 am:

Noel and Mike,
Thank you for your input and info.
From what I was told by the owner. His father now 87 has had the car since the early 1960s. Before that was owned by a Prominent lawyer in the next town over. It was sold in the same town. It still has the plack from the car dealership with address on it. The history is great knowing that it hasn't been bounced all around. Cared and appreciated as it will continue now that I am the new owner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 10:16 am:

None of the prior posts answered the OP's question.

He said the serial number on the title (VIN) does not match the serial number on the block.

The question was, do you think the motor was swapped out?

Some possible answers:

1) No, the motor is original to the car. The title is wrong because it is not the actual title for the car or the title was issued to the car in question but the VIN is incorrect to due clerical error.

2) Yes, the motor was swapped out sometime during the last 93 years. However, the motor could still be correct for a 1924 model year Ford even if the motor was assembled in 1923.

3) etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 02:42 pm:

Erik,
You are right.
Thank you for the input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 03:35 pm:

Given the history I will consider option #1 less likely while #2 is very likely.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration