A question for you car guys

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: A question for you car guys
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 09:20 am:

What is a comfortable cruising speed for a either a roadster or say a touring car. Just curious? I am well aware of the stopping issue and all of that just interested in what you guys consider a good down the road speed. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 09:23 am:

35 to 40

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 09:23 am:

My 26 roadster runs and sounds best at 28 mph.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 09:24 am:

IMHO 30 MPH you can see more and you have more time to react

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 09:25 am:

Well this will open up a plethora of responses just as varied as the "war of MM Oil, Distributors, and E-timers"!

But seriously, what is comfortable to one guy may not be for another. Some like to push their cars to as close to 50 as they can for some reason, but I think the majority like to cruise at 30-35, pretty much what the car was designed to do in the first place.

I've always said "why rush the enjoyment"? We thoroughly love taking in the view at a leisurely 28-30 out in the open country, a bit more on a major highway. You also have to consider the condition of your car, the wheels, steering,the brake..remember, it's SINGULAR, and of course even the road conditions.

Just my opinion, others will vary. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 09:26 am:

WOW, I guess! Look how many beat me to it!! ha ha. G.R., Dallas, I see we're on the same page!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 09:28 am:

What Spencer said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 09:38 am:

Since the condition of the car was not specified, only that it was a roadster or touring and the term cruse did not specify as to highway or closed road I would venture that 9.0s at 150 mph.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 10:03 am:

On a paved road I generally cruise at 35-40, sometimes a little faster downhill. On country roads, anywhere from 15 to 35, depending on the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 10:04 am:

Feels right and sounds right between 30 and 35 in the roadster. The old wooden bodied truck on the other hand prefers 28-30.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 10:26 am:

A week ago this past weekend, our club did its annual overnight tour. This year we went from St. Louis to Jefferson City on Saturday and back on Sunday. Before the tour, I moved the GPS from my daily driver to the T.

The "stopped" time and the overall average aren't significant since the GPS kept counting time while I was eating lunch, getting gas, etc. The numbers that bear on this discussion are the maximum speed and the moving average. Because the tour included two hilly stretches of MO highway 94, the maximum speed represents going faster down a hill the get a run at a steep hill up ahead of me. The moving average is about right for the entire 255 miles, although the "open road" speed between towns was probably more like 33-35.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 10:58 am:

Model T's will last do their overall best around 30-35 MPH. I wouldn't push a stock or slightly modified T much more than that. Some will push them faster but to me its not good for your T if you want it to last a good while.
After all its 90-100 year old technology with a 20 HP engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 10:58 am:

A stock 1922 coupe, on 30x3.5 tyres, will cruse on a level road at 30mph. The engine is comfortable. This measured by a Garmin Etrex.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 11:12 am:

I don't have speedometers on any of my T's so I just go along at a pace which seems comfortable to me. On most club tours, the cars tend to go just a little faster than I would go if I were alone. Interestingly to me, is that when I am going approx. 40, I feel like 90 in a modern car. The rush of the wind and the vibrations and sounds of the engine are deceiving. It is only when someone passes me that I feel as though I am going slowly.

Some places have a big electric sign which tells the driver how fast he is going. Usually in a speed zone where people are prone to surpassing the speed limit. Passing one of those one day, I felt like I was going very fast. The sign said 37.

With the high center of gravity, the wood spoke wheels and the brakes on only rear wheels with narrow tires, I think is is safer to slow down rather than see how fast I can go.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 11:13 am:

I would hazard to guess that the coefficient of drag for a Model T Coupe is .6. Lower the Cd and a bit more speed.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1IKw-4u9ytXrFPSXH_4tP8mTl0GA26RseriITz53_21w/edit#slide=id.g3341bd19d_14

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 12:07 pm:

-Hey, George-
From my racing days, your post reminded me about the expression "About as streamlined as a barn door"!!! But, what's the factor for 'style & class'? Personally, I'll take the time to appreciate the nostalgia of our T's. (And Grandmas, too!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 12:47 pm:

Mary - I enjoy my barn door coupe. But since there have been comments about how to make a Model T fast, I am just helping out with the discussion. Maybe the question to be asked what is the Model T's horizontal terminal velocity. All things being equal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Stubenvoll on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

I get asked "how fast does it go?" just about every time I have the T out in public. My canned answer is always "depends on how wide the road is". Wider directly equates to braver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 01:25 pm:

The way my 26 coupe is shaped I think it would go faster if I put the body back on the frame backwards.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 03:33 pm:

Don't have a speedometer, but I judge my speed by fingers- I can tell my speed by how many times I get "The Finger" while going down the road. If I don't see any, I'm going way too fast. My T likes to cruise at approx. one finger every fourth car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 10:25 pm:

I am very far from a T expert, but my '14 touring seems to be happiest around 27. It is quiet, cool, and smooth at that speed I have had it up to 42 but that was faster than it or I were comfortable going...

Before going on a tour with a new group I asked the leader how fast they tend to run. They said 35 to 40. I was worried I wouldn't be able to keep up. Actual GPS speed on that tour rarely crossed 25mph.

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 10:48 pm:

If you can find such a place, drive your Model T ten or twenty miles over unimproved dirt and gravel roads, and see what kind of speed feels "right". This is what they were made for, and the rate you feel good traveling is what they were made for. Better still, break your own trail out through the sagebrush. I doubt you'll be doing 40mph.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 11:28 pm:

That's really funny Dennis R.

You win the internet for the day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 02:05 am:

An enjoyable cruising speed in most T open or closed stock T with the standard gear rear end i 27 to 30 with a maximum of 37.
From there on up to 45 to 47 you're pushing it hard. Not cruising anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 08:38 am:

Dennis R: Is that 1 finger every 4 cars calibrated for light or heavy traffic?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 08:52 am:

Dennis, that's a shame. Apparently people out on the west coast are wound a bit too tight. Out here where the weather sucks 7 months out of the year, people are far more relaxed about our cars and even seem to enjoy seeing them. I've given countless drivers more than a 2-mile opportunity to pass me by, I'd slow up even more, move as far to the right as I can safely drive, and be darned if they STILL stay behind me! They're gawking at my car! I've also had numerous people literally pace me in the wrong lane for half a mile looking at the car! And just two weeks ago, had an oncoming car, on a State Highway, literally stop in traffic to take pics (or video) of us passing by him. Too bad you don't experience this thrill too. We get far more thumbs up than the finger salute! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 11:31 am:

Dennis' speed checker scares me. I have only had two fingers in 12 years. Either the people here are more relaxed or I am going way too fast. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 12:20 pm:

Tim, I get the 2 or 3 mile followers also. Sometimes have to look hard for thumbs up but most times thats what I get. Have them pace beside me asking questions. Amish hang out the buggy waving at me. I guess in the midwest they are used to slow buggy and farm equipment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 02:55 pm:

Let me elaborate a bit- I live on a street that has one way out. It feeds into a very busy two lane 45 mph main road that is marked for no passing and there are only a couple of places where I can duck out of traffic safely in a T. So it only takes seconds to form a conga line of traffic behind me. Unfortunately I have quite a ways to go before I can get into some more calm streets better suited to a rollicking 30 mph pace.

I've had a few "moments" on that stretch. One time I had an idiot that was tailgating me, (Like I could go faster or had a place to pull over) So I "fired the howitzer" (Ignition on, off, on) Judging by the way he jumped. I think he needed a change of BVD's. Probably upset him, but I had a huge smile.

It got to where it was such a pain to get in and out that I sold my "Light Express Delivery" T. But I'm collecting parts for a faster one, aka speedster (or maybe a racer). Lets see- OHV, 4 wheel brakes, better steering. Hoping to move out to the sticks in a couple of years, then it's TT Time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 03:20 pm:

There you have one of the many reasons I'm so glad to not live in a city anymore.

(Message edited by steve_jelf_parkerfield_ks on August 01, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 06:56 pm:

Now Speedsters are a different story all together!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

Mine all seem happy at 30-35 mph.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 10:17 pm:

From reading the posts, it looks like Steve is the only one who drives on real roads, I find that washboards are smother at 55 mph than at 15 mph, so that means that on a washboard road the speed has to be 15 or less. Loose gravel and deep sand are another problem as steering is just a suggestion. Rutted roads are not too bad as long as the ruts are not filled with mud. Go0od paved roads are comfortable at 30 to 40 mph, but state paved roads are scary at 20.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 10:33 pm:

I drive in city traffic at 30-35. This allows me to cruise with the rest of the flow as that is the speed of the main roads E-W and N-S through town. Out on the state highway, the car feels good at 35-40. I cannot relax at 45 and 50 has me white knuckled and not enjoying the ride

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 11:11 pm:

Who knows. I don't have a Speedo but was being followed once on the open road and got to 70 Klms / hr.

It's great in the T as your not concerned with speed limits unless it's a 40klm in a School Zone where you could get nabbed by Mr Plod. Alan in Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 11:50 pm:

I cruised a gravel road out to a nice quiet tar road for some real pleasure tonight. In testing mode still. I'm blessed.
I set my phone to show me the speed I was traveling when out. Ugh. I had something not right and it wouldn't.
I think I was going 25 in the knocky little bugger. Happy days for me.
Tough little bugger. This winter comes a downstairs fix...
The neighbor lady waved at me. :-)
Cruise at what speed you're comfy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 12:22 am:

Alan, that's 43 mph. Plenty fast for a T. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 12:41 am:

My Torpedo roadster is happy with 45 to 55 all day long but have topped at 70 one time on a clear open 5 freeway. The wind makes a great difference because of the large flat windshield.

Looking at the post by George it's easy to see
why.

The Montana 500 cars mostly Average 55 for the 500 miles!

The cars speed has much to do with the condition and the build of the car and also the condition of the road. On a nice winding tree lined narrow two lane road with a river flowing next to it 25 to 35 would be a beautiful speed to enjoy the scenery.

A fast car can always go slow. Quote from Ralph Ricks, RIP

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 08:35 am:

Steve,
That speed was only for a moment, miles from anywhere on a quiet country road and definitely not my usual speed!
Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 09:06 am:

Well who has built or will build a speedster that is streamlined and uses a stock motor and drive train? This modified design should be a bit faster than 55 mph. The 22 hp motor and 30x3.5 tyres in a streamed lined body should be quite fast.

Traditional concept of a speedster.

These are available on line - both original and reproduction.

Possible low profile 1915 speedster with stock running gear.

No more "Barn Door" of the High profile body or windshield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 10:13 am:

My Fordor with aluminium pistons and balanced flywheel and drums happily goes 65 km/h when driving "A-B" transport driving. In cities I'm obliged to go 50 km/h which I am pretty good to hit without speedometer now.
My pickup have stock engine and transmission and it only goes 55 - 60 km/h.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration