Now that's stuck

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Now that's stuck
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 04:44 pm:

I got a stuck spring shackle on the front of the 26. Iv tried everything to get to come loose. I decided to take it off the spring and remove the perch and shackle. I put it in my vice and heated to a nice cherry red several times and the damm thing still wont come loose of the bushing by hitting it with a 5lb hammer. I just happened to have another perch for the left side so I will just add this one to my collection of parts that just cant be used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 04:51 pm:

Have you tried home made penetrating oil? A 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF? Also instead of trying to drive it out, first get it to rotate. Then you should be able to get it out. Also I'm not sure what heading to perch to "cherry red" would do to its eventual strength.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 05:52 pm:

John, Heating was my last resort. Once I put the torch to it I knew I would not be putting the perch back in place. I tried everything including the 50/50 mix of acetone and transmission fluid. I was able to get to move just a little bit but not enough to get it to come out. New shackles and bushings have been ordered and just waiting to be installed. After this next project is getting rid of the water pump. I considered keeping it but it's leaking in the back and I really didn't want it to start with so this was my excuse .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 06:04 pm:

Maybe a speedster guy wants it, don't they like having one shackle locked for better steering?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 06:07 pm:

Heating it cherry red is not the solution. The trick is to heat the outer part just enough to expand it therefore allowing the other part to come lose.

When guys heat things up cherry red it expands the whole assembly thus keeping it tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 06:15 pm:

Im just happy that it choose to lock up on the perch side and not the spring side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 06:24 pm:

Did you drop it in water while it was hot. It works every time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 07:04 pm:

What amazes me is that you got the perch out of the axle, but can't get the shackle out of the perch???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

Put it in the press, put some pressure on it, then heat up the perch again. Be ready for the big "POP" when it lets go! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 08:10 pm:

Wayne, I agree. I had a premonition of having to pull the entire axle out and put it in the perch in the press. That is what I had to do with my 19. I was amazed and surprised at the same time when the spring perch popped out of the axle!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 08:23 pm:

Mark, the problem with a press is being able to support the piece you are working on. I can't figure out how I would support the perch while applying load to the shackle pin.
John's tip to rotate the shackle first rows my boat. Grab the shackle in the vice, slip a pipe over the perch stem, give it some heat and pull back and forth.
Hope this helps,
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lawrence Murray on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 08:27 am:

Just cut the shackle flush with the perch. Then it should be easy to press the rest out. Unless you are trying to save the shackle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lawrence Murray on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 08:29 am:

Or press it farther on to break it loose then press it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 08:30 am:

That there is what you call " permanently perched " .......

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

When I did my coupe many moons ago, I couldn't remove the perches with a hammer so I cut it out.... I put a blade thru the perch and reconnected to the saw and cut it front to rear. I don't remember how long it took, but whose counting, I know I replaced them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harold lee cartwright on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 07:57 am:

put it in a off hot water watch for air bubbles to surface rust is starting to break down repeat as needed rust will soften and release the part i did a screw jack rusted solid in about 4.0 hours

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration