Lint at magneto post

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Lint at magneto post
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 07:25 am:

I have a theory about lint at the magneto post. I use wooden bands, so I have never had the lint problem. My theory is that the mag post is either in contact with the solder pile on the mag ring or else it's not. Off or on. No in between. If an otherwise functional mag suddenly quits, then lint may be the culprit. I could even see an intermittent mag being caused by lint at the mag post, but when it comes to "My car runs rough on mag", I don't see lint at the mag post being a factor. Can someone who knows for sure, please tell me whether I'm right or wrong?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 07:57 am:

Hal, I too have never subscribed to 'the lint at the post' theory causing misfiring. For there to be mis-firing there needs to be a break in contact between the spring and the coil plate. A weakened spring or vibration at the contact point might cause this, but I cannot see how a build-up of lint will cause there to be a lack of contact. I can understand how removal of the post to clean the lint away could result in the spring being reinstalled in a new position and a new contact point being created, thus leading to the conclusion that the lint was the cause of the problem.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 08:21 am:

If you are in the habit of pulling the mag post and not cleaning it I suppose a piece of lint may get lodged between the post and the magring contact...but since the lint would be soaked in oil wouldn't that still have electrical continuity?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 08:29 am:

Maybe the misfiring isn't cause by the lint alone.

Perhaps metallic "fuzz" collects on the lint and make a partial ground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 08:47 am:

The mix of lint oil and metallic and other "Fuzz" collected in the magneto stopped a while a go the working of the magneto.
As I took it out and tested it for polarity without using a test light this is what happened .... .

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 09:52 am:

It isn't just 'lint' alone from linings, its the metallic debris that floats around in the oil.

The oil screens with magnet proves that metallic debris is present in the oil of the T engine, as parts wear. (Steve's photo)

The mag post can be grounded out by lint collecting around the insulated pickup, and metallic filled lint piled up against the iron hogshead causes the ground path.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration