The Next Time I'm Thinking of ordering from MAC's, please come over and kick me.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: The Next Time I'm Thinking of ordering from MAC's, please come over and kick me.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 11:48 am:

It will be less painful. Need a carb for the Depot Hack, Langs is out of stock for a rebuilt. Called MAC's, assured they had them in stock and placed my order including $30 for s/h and sales tax on a $100 core deposit. $280 plus.
A week goes by and no carb, no phone call, no email from customer no service. I called this morning and was infomred that they are backordered and that they would recive 3 on September 5. So I'm sitting here hanging in the wind waiting for something that will not show up for a month at the best. No assurance that I was one of the top 3 backorders.

I'll get the kit and try to rebuild one myself.

Just when I thought MAC's couldn't get any worse, they exceed my expectations.

OK, I feel better. Thanks for listening.

TO THE GARAGE!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 12:02 pm:

Ouch! Next time check with Stan Howe he usually doesn't mess with anything as mundane as a Holley NH but he would probably have something exotic that would work better!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Duquette Grand Forks, ND on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 12:09 pm:

There is an NH for sale in the classifieds rebuilt by Corey Walker. Reasonable price. I'm using two of his rebuilds and very pleased with his work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 12:12 pm:

Careful. They are a paying advertiser in the club magazine. You're setting yourself up for a chastising phone call from a club official......Just saying......voice of experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 12:12 pm:

Send it to Russ Potter. Excellent service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 12:14 pm:

we rebuild the n.h carbs here also, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt cwynar on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 01:33 pm:

If you looking for a great place to have it rebuild check out Renners Corner in Manchester MI. Just had him do a Zenith Carb for a model A engine and did a great job. I know he does T carbs aswell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 01:39 pm:

Thanks for all the leads on a carb. There are two carb shops here in Atlanta that do great work and I've sent one core over to a forum member in AL that I know will do a great job as well.

The only reason I went the vendor rebuilt route was to get a carb ready to go in a few days and I could move on to other things on the check list. Sometimes it's money, sometimes it's quality and sometimes it's just plain old time.

That's what was frustrating about this attempt at another transaction with MAC's. To be told it's in stock and then left hanging with no communication just seems downright unAmerican.

This is huge. HUEGE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 01:41 pm:

Robert,

You are NOT the first person I have heard about being LESS than satisfied with Mac's/Ekler's.

Too bad they have chosen this path.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 01:49 pm:

Not to jump on the Mac's bashing wagon but I have had my fair share of problems with Mac's. My main suppliers is Langs, Fun Projects, and Chaffens for most everything. It would be a cold day in h before I would ever get anything from Mac's, and they are just down the road from me. I have no problem telling like it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 02:54 pm:

Hal, it's safe. She's retired now. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 04:02 pm:

Kinda narrowing things down there ain't ya Steve?:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 04:09 pm:

Well, if somone wants to call and speak to me about it, I've got this 1st amendment thing going for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 06:47 pm:

Hey Robert, What's that old saying( I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6)!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

I ordered parts from Macs that were "in stock". Shipping charge was $9. They sent one small part and charged me the full shipping, but the rest of the parts were back-ordered for over month. Finally called to cancel the rest of the order, but they would not refund the exorbitant shipping. Will never order from them again. Then again, Snyders did the same thing. Ordered parts for rebuilding the carb. They sent only one of the parts out of 6 or 8 that I ordered, charging me full shipping, but back-ordered all the rest. How can you rebuild a carb with just one part? When asked why they didn't hold the one part until the others came in, she said, "We thought we were doing you a favor." Also, wouldn't refund even a fraction of the full shipping charge. I suspect this happens often. Bad policy from both companies. Creates customers who are angry from day one. I worked in retail, and understand how essential happy customers are for a successful business.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 09:53 pm:

I rebuild carbs and I stock the parts for them if you want to do it yourself. I charge actual shipping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 10:58 pm:

I ordered from them one time several years ago and it was a complete disaster, extremely aggravating. Just not worth it. I'm amazed that there are enough new people to order from them to keep them afloat. They're definitely not staying open because of repeat business.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 12:24 am:

I've almost quit buying from Mac's, entirely, but recently, I wanted a stainless steel 1 1/2" exhaust pipe clamp. I didn't see where either Snyder's or Lang's carried them, so I ordered it from Mac's. I received it as quick as I would have expected from Snyder's or Lang's. It shipped from their Florida warehouse. It sure looks pretty with my Vern Campbell stainless exhaust pipe and my stainless steel muffler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick mischler on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 06:54 am:

I tried to order some parts Monday night and at 5pm. The girl hung up,then wouldn't answer when I called back was my first time calling them. I always use Snyder

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 07:09 am:

I went to work for Winn Dixie (Grocery Chain) when minimum wage was $1.65/hr there were two things Jim Hinneck (my boss) told me 1. Happy Customers tell 1 or 2 people about their experience, Unhappy customers tell 99 people about their experience. 2. Do whatever you can to make a happy customer and I will have your back. That has stuck with me for almost 50 years!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 07:40 am:

I used them once. And only once. My initial problem with them was their slow shipping. I was used to ordering from places that got your order out the same day you placed it, or at least the next day if it was late when you called. I waited a week and a half or two weeks expecting my order, then finally called to ask about it. Hey, if the order fell through the cracks, I understand. If it got lost, I understand. If they were out of stock, I could sorta understand, but would have expected them to let me know. But none of that was the case. They just had not gotten around to shipping it. Now, if that was all there was to the story, I would probably have put them on the back burner and not ordered from them anymore unless they were way cheaper than anyone else or were the only one that had something I needed. But.......the attitude of the........uhmmmmm, "Lady" that answered my call, was the clincher for me. It was like I was being unreasonable for expecting my package in 2 weeks. I routinely got packages from other companies in their general area in 3-4 days. She acted like she was really doing me a favor for telling them to ship my package the next day. THAT is when I decided I would NEVER order from them EVER again and give them as much bad advertising as I possibly could. How anyone stays in business with employees who treat their customers that way, I will never understand. I wouldn't order from Mac's if they had the only one of something I needed on the face of the earth. I'd quit and find another hobby first. And that's just how it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 08:42 am:

I really didn't want to turn this into MAC's bashing, but was more intended to be Robert bashing as I should have known better. Fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me.

I always get a kick out of the recording at the beginning of customer service calls that states that this call may be recorded for quality control purposes. Does anyone ever realy listen to this calls? Is management that far out of touch?

If I were a customer service rep for a company that had this culture, I'd be worried about job security. At some point in time, business has got to suffer and then layoffs occur. Especially in the customer service department.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 08:45 am:

Some people think the sale to Eckler was the start of the troubles. Nope. I swore off dealing with them twenty-five years ago. I can order from anybody else and have my parts in two or three days. There's enough inconvenience and annoyance in daily life. I don't need to go looking for more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom VanMeeteren Valley, Nebraska on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 08:50 am:

I ordered a set of gaskets from Mac's for a 32 model B that I am working on and waited for over 6 weeks of the order to arrive. Finally called and I was told they were back ordered (thanks for letting me know) Waited another 2 or 3 weeks and finally canceled the order. I called Olson's Gaskets in Port Orchard, WA and the gaskets arrived 3 days later. Regarding model T and A parts, I always use Birdhaven Vintage Auto Supply from Colfax, Iowa. They are great people, know their stuff and they are the people that bought the Texas T product line several years ago. They have a back order occassionaly but let you know and their shipping to me arrives the next day if they use UPS, postal service in two days. The only time I use Mac's is to view their catalog for parts that I order from other sources.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 12:33 pm:

I'll probably get torched for this but has anybody noticed that sometime's Mac's has great deals on eBay?

When I notice something I want is on sale at a good price (relative to other sources available to me) AND it has free shipping I usually order it. So far so good. All my orders have shipped and arrived in very reasonable times.

Mac's currently has a total of 15,027 feedback ratings on eBay and 99.1% of those are positive so they aren't making everyone mad.

I know it's just a matter of time before I burned but I've been happy with the results and saved some money so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 01:44 pm:

Brian,

I've got to agree with you.

I needed a headlight lens, and quickly. Mac's had the best deal on both price and shipping via eBay. I ordered it, it shipped right away, and I got it well in time for the event we had set up for the coming weekend.

No reason to leave anything but positive feedback.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 04:11 pm:

My lone experience with MAC's/eBay was the missing tire tube scenario. Called MAC's to let them know one was short. I had to deal with filing a dispute and going through the whole eBay rig marole because MAC's does their eBay sales through a third part. The seller ID is MAC's, but it is and it isn't. Parts will arrive with MAC's return lable, but it is and it isn't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 04:30 pm:

Is there anything positive that can come from this thread?

IMHO there is too much negativity these days. Become positive!! Stick with a vendor that you like. Why change?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 06:08 pm:

Give it a rest every month there is someone bitching or being a crybaby about some company that doesn't t meet their standards, what up with you guys your spouse bitching because you not meeting their needs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 06:31 pm:

Rj, Its not so much of Mac's meeting needs its just that they have burnt so many people. Of all the good company's that supplies parts I find it amazing they are still in business. Case in point, Many years ago I was ordering some parts, When I completed my order I asked a question about the new axles, Mind you, it was just a question about cost. A week later a axle shows up. I called and asked why I was sent and apparently paid for an axle. I told them I did not order the axle and I wanted to return it. She said I was not allowed to return it. So I keep that axle on my wall as a reminder to never buy from Mac's. Again, Its not just me but 100's of other guys that have been burnt from these guys. Oh, Calling names here on this forum tends to piss off people, These could be the same people you may some day need help from. You might keep that in mind the next time you choose your words.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 06:58 pm:

You don't like the thread? Don't read it!

What good could come of it? Maybe we keep someone else from having a bad experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 07:02 pm:

As one of many people that have had a problem with Mac's I appreciate people speaking up about them. I should have listened before I placed big order with them that turned into a disaster.

Likewise I appreciate knowing about companies that provide a good service.

One of the good things about the internet and special interest groups - like this one - can identify companies that give poor customer service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 08:16 pm:

I like to give my business to a Mom & Pop establishment whenever possible. -Once upon a time, we had a nice, family-run hardware store in my little town. -You walked in, the bell on the spring rang when the corner of the door hit it, the old Golden Retriever laying on the bare wood floor lifted his head to see who was there and gave you a couple of friendly tail wags. -And a voice from the back said, "I'll be right with you!" -While you were waiting that half-minute, you petted the dog and, for the upteenth time, read the sign nailed to the wall which said, "Nobody ever won an argument with a paying customer."

Then Mom walked up, called you by name, asked about the family, and after the breeze got shot full of holes, said, "So what can I do for you, today?" -Not knowing what to call the thing that needed replacement, I'd just bring the broken pieces and spill them out on the counter.

"Oh yeah, we've got those. -There's a trick to putting 'em in. -Lemme get Pop to explain how it goes." -And then the ol' man would talk you through the job from start to finish. -Twice. -So, you got first-class personal service, paid a fair price for the part and went home with the warm, fuzzy feeling of knowing what you were doing.

Then Home Depot moved into the neighborhood and swallowed up the Mom & Pop hardware store.

Doesn't always work that way, though.

See, there was this other family-owned operation. -From what I hear, they ran their little family business pretty much the same way Mom & Pop ran the little hardware store. -But in spite of some pretty hefty competition, the little Mom and Pop operation grew into a great, big, gargantuan business. -But their attitude didn't change. -I'd dial the 800-number and this sweet Irish gal would pick up and recognize my voice and say something like, "Oh, hi Bob! -How'd that starter switch extension work out for you? -Didn't I tell you, you were gonna need it?" -And we'd chat for a while and eventually get around to the part I needed to order.

She's not there anymore and I miss her, but the other ladies working the phones are just as nice. -And when I've got a question, they put Pop on the line, or I get his equally knowledgeable son. -Either way, I get talked through the job from beginning to end. -And if the part I need fits in an envelope, shipping costs the price of a couple of postage stamps.

See, sometimes, a business has such a good reputation, you don't even need to mention their name. -Somehow, ya just know who's bein' talked about. -Yeah, I bet they even got an old dog layin' around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

Very good analogy Bob,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 09:09 pm:

Why not be positive?

Great thought process. I'm positive I'll never order from MAC's again. In fact, I needed some engine enamel today and ordered two quarts from an eBay seller that is almost $3 a quart HIGHER in price that MAC's.

Badd Bing. Badda Boom!

Now, where's that wife?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 09:18 pm:

So you miss Trish, too, Bob?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 09:40 pm:

Mac's must be in the Booby Hatch, not on the vendors list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 10:10 pm:

I had slow shipping on Parts from Macs and now use Langs with no issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 07:18 am:

Here just recently, there's been a couple of folks that had something negative to say about Lang's and Snyder's. Any company can goof occasionally, so it's no real surprise to me that even some of the best aren't absolutely perfect, but I do believe that is the rare exception rather than the rule. Mac's, on the other hand, will get the occasional member on here that will sing their praises, but THAT seems to be the rare exception rather than the rule.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 08:28 am:

Alice Roosevelt Longworth had a pillow on her couch embroidered with the motto "If you can't say something nice, come sit by me." But some folks say we should make only positive comments, so here's mine.

I will (and do) positively buy parts from Birdhaven, Bob's, Chaffin's, Lang's, Fun Projects, and others who ship promptly and rarely screw up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 08:55 am:

Hi Bob,

No old dog layin' around. These days there are wee ones toddling about the shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 09:18 am:

Hopefully, the next generation of shopkeepers! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trish Bulger on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 10:42 am:

I have always worked in service, which means working with the public which means working with all types of personalities. It also means you are constantly counting on other people to do their part in any transaction. If any part fails it comes right back to the person who picked up the phone.
In return I try to always be compassionate to those serving me whether it's the kid handing me coffee through a window, or the Comcast girl trying to help me with my internet issues. I don't know if their dog just died, they're going through a divorce etc...
My dad was an endless tease and he would get me to the point of wanting to lash out as a kid. He would always stop and remind me if you're going to hit, you better have a smile on your face. Laughter is the best medicine guys. When things go wrong with a part try to smile and remind yourselves no one died at the end of the day.
We've lost a lot of really great guys out here, and THAT is what's important. Humans. We all get busy, we all forget to do things whether it's to say thank you or see someone isn't ignoring you but just being busy.
Lots of love to all of you, and a lot of thanks to all of those trying to serve the community :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 11:31 am:

Well said Trish !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 02:41 pm:

Customer relations.

Rule #1 The customer is always right.

Rule #2 If the customer is wrong refer to rule #1.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 02:52 pm:

Many moons ago, I work a holiday season at Macy's. Rule 1 was the customer is always right. We then spent the next 8 hours being trained on what to do when the customer is wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 03:11 pm:

So, I ordered from Big M and Big L, minutes apart, earlier this week and got a correct package from Big L today. Yesterday, I got a correct package from Big M. Just reporting what happened.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 03:50 pm:

Vern

As the commercial goes -
"Sometimes you feel like a nut and sometimes you don't."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 03:51 pm:

woops - I should have said
"Don't play the lottery for awhile cause you have used up all your luck!"

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration