What is its name?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What is its name?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Wells on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 05:36 pm:

I searched and didn't find any older threads.

I was just wondering what did you name your T, and is there a reason for the name?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 05:45 pm:

2 of mine have names, George is one, named after the previous owner, and Piggy as that one dosen't get washed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 05:47 pm:

Mine is Otto. Last name is Mobile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 05:52 pm:

Some time I think naming a vehicle is kind of silly but on the other hand if you mention "Otis" a whole lot of folks will know just which Tee you are talking about!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 05:54 pm:

Otis is one fine T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 06:08 pm:

"Gracie"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 06:39 pm:

The day I brought the TT home in 2001 I carried my then 2 year old grandson out to the garage to look it over. I said to him, "Do you know what that is?" He replied, "That's my truck!"

So, we call it "My Truck". :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 06:42 pm:

'25 Coupe is 'Cranky'
'26 TT is 'Toybox Twoo'
The shop has it's own name:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

August 28th will be one year into the restoration..i mean resurrection. So far, we are calling it "Yet to be named." We expect that something will happen to give it a name in the near future.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 07:14 pm:

Katherine, after Katherine Hepburn. My girl may be old and shakes a bit when she speaks but she has more spunk than I do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 07:29 pm:

I never understood this anthropomorphic behavior but guess it is just like my girls giving names to their dolls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 07:52 pm:

Ellie May Goodspeed and Sophia Von Golden....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 08:20 pm:

I just don't know. I have the same trouble with cats. I like to give them a name, and use it. Some cats, A name is given, just works. Other cats, I can try a dozen different names. Nothing ever seems to fit. One of my Ts, a speedster years ago, just flew! At that moment, it became Jennifer (after the Jenny aircraft of WWI). None of my Ts has ever had a name stick, since.
We have a new kitten in the house. So far, nothing seems to work for him. The kitten/cat we got a few years ago, nothing ever seemed to work.
An old saying goes something like this. "All cats, have three names. One, their common name, you use daily. One, their given proper name, long and official, however seldom used. And one name, known only to the cat himself."
Maybe model Ts are like that?
If I ever get two standard type model Ts actually together and going? And really drive them again? I might consider Stanley and Oliver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 08:24 pm:

I have two '25 runabouts. The first is named "Bob", after the guy I bought it from. The second is named "Georgia", because she still wares the Georgia tag she got in 1963, and will still carry it after the restoration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By W. Austen on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

I was at an old car event years ago in my 1909, when Ed Archer asked me the question " what is your cars name?' I replied "Robert" its a Red Ford

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Finchum on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

olliie plate If I get another one I will call it Stan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 08:46 pm:

This is is " Drippy " ....

Because once I loaded it in the trailer yesterday - all it is doing is slowly leaking every bit of coolant onto my trailer floor ...

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 08:55 pm:

I don't need names for my T's. When I refer to my cars, I call them what they are! The Touring, which is a '13, the '13 roadster, the '25, which is a '25 factory p/u, or the '17, which is a coupelet. To each his own!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

Blackie -- the 1915 cut off that sort of helped raise me....I never got a speeding ticket for going too fast in Blackie....See: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/10844.html for additional details on how a car can help keep a kid out of trouble (well not all trouble -- but it did take longer to get to where the trouble was when I drove Blackie.)

Why? It has always been Blackie for as long as I can remember.

Tim -- military pilots often gave their airplanes names -- for example "Doc" the B-29 that recently was restored (see: http://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/581709/mcconnell-community-marks-b-29-rollout/ (U.S. Air Force photo/Senior Airman Victor J. Caputo) ) Both "Doc" and "FiFi" flew at the EAA Air Venture the last week of Jul - see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsZ-lqjzBUE

And of course many boats are given names. As well as dogs, cats, other animals and other things that mean a lot someone.

From: https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/1602074-the-velveteen-rabbit

The Velveteen Rabbit Quotes

“Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real.'

'Does it hurt?' asked the Rabbit.

'Sometimes,' said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. 'When you are Real you don't mind being hurt.'

'Does it happen all at once, like being wound up,' he asked, 'or bit by bit?'

'It doesn't happen all at once,' said the Skin Horse. 'You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand.”
― Margery Williams Bianco, The Velveteen Rabbit

So yes, I would say Blackie is real....the horse hair from the seats has grown thinner. It's refused to go to the Christmas parade before --
after all I didn't ask politely. It has introduced me to many people when it has quit for no apparent reason (well actually it usually was the rust from the gas tank clogging the line...) When I'm with Blackie it reminds me of the many special times my Dad and I had together. Working on, starting, driving, and after a ride around the neighborhood a time of drinking sweet tea under the shade tree and talking about what fun we had.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off (Blackie)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

My '24 Touring is Lizzie. She clearly likes her name, and it fits her.

Now I'm associated with several other Ts, each of which the misses and I have named.

Walter, a '24 Touring

Sassy, a '23 Roadster

BB (for either Blue Baby, or Blue B****, depending on how the car is acting), a speedster

Bon Bon, a '19 Touring, painted with just primer

The Wreck, a 1914 barn find roadster that I got running

TT, A '25 TT

The Wrecker, a '24-ish wrecker

Sarge, a WWI replica Corps Signal Truck

Frenchy, a WWI replica French ambulance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 09:04 pm:

TT is Chip, because his multi-layers of paint have chipped away over the decades, leaving a work truck patina I find endearing. My 66 Mustang is CarMa, because when my youngest son drove it for the first time, he said "that's a real nice car, Ma" In addition, it took me 1.5 years to find just the car I wanted, in driving condition, that I could afford. I felt like finding this car was good Karma.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 09:09 pm:

Nellie. When I bought it it had a severe wheel shimmy and I called out, "Whoa Nellie!"

Harrison. This was the second T and since the first one was a female, I decided to call this "Harrison" for Harrison Ford

Miss Kitty This one looked like a car in heat so we called it "Miss Kitty"

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 09:10 pm:

My 26 roadster truck is Rufus and my 27 roadster profile car is Rose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 09:11 pm:

Dogs and cats get names. Cars get designations (15 runabout, 23 touring, etc.). Sometimes, if a car is giving me a rough time, it gets an epithet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 10:36 pm:

Wish i could send a picture along,but have not learned to do that yet. my huckster is Tragurtha,after my most favorite tug boat engine--Burry & Tragurtha. what a sweet sound.and the T is beautifull too. GREG.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 11:06 pm:

I have dedicated my 1910 to Dad so we call it George and we have a brass plaque on the dash which is a laser cut copy of Dad's actual signature. The Utility (pick up) we just call
"The Ute"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 11:58 pm:

Henrietta Phord

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 06:54 am:

Mine is SaraJane, She quit giving me daily problems once she got her name!The new one I pick up later this month will have to earn his/her name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 06:59 am:

I fondly call mine Lula Bell.. Named after my Grandmother on my Fathers side..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 08:11 am:

this is a previous thread
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/729157.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 09:42 am:

1914 Mutt Depot Hack = Chitty
1910 Touring = Brassy
1914 Touring = Blacky
1912 Touring = Chester the Amazing Model T
Next car = Roadster pick up = TBA (Roaster Chicken?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 10:26 am:

Mine get their names when I'm finished restoring them (unless they came with one already).

'30 Town Sedan: Annabelle (had that name for 44 years)
21/27 T Doodlebug: Celtic Rust
'25 Shaw Conversion: Black Rose
'30 AA Doodlebug: Klam Digah (and everyone on the tractor pull/show circuit around Western & Central Massachusetts knows her by name)
'28 A Doodlebug: The Red One
'30 AA Yard Truck: Lobstah Trap
'17 T Power Unit: Maluch
'27 T/IHC Mower: Blades
'30 AA Doodlebug: Blue Mooring

Remainder are TBD.

I generally paint their names somewhere on the tractors (but not the Town Sedan) - usually the last thing I do when finishing them.

Pilots aren't the only ones in the military who name their equipment. I was on tanks for 20+ years and every single one of them had a name - tankers usually put the name of the tank along the tube of the main gun. Generally, the name has to start with the letter of the company (so all the names of the tanks in Alpha Company start with the letter "A," Bravo Company "B" and so on).

Great thread Dennis - it's a fun topic. Sadly, it's not surprising that the resident killjoys on the Forum threw their usual 2-cents in regarding the "need" to name" and what should get "designations." Maybe they need to re-read the original title of the thread - "What Is Its Name?" NOT "Should It Be Named?"

(Message edited by Conversiont on August 02, 2017)

(Message edited by Conversiont on August 02, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 01:26 pm:

Our '26 Touring is Bessie, named by my Dad many years ago and has kept the name.

Couple of our A's have names too:

'30 Town Sedan - Ruby by my daughter for the red jewels in her headlight eyelids
'31 Station Wagon - Woody for obvious reasons
AA Stakebed - Big Truck by my daughter when she was very little
'42 Jeep - Sarge by my daughter after the Cars character

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 02:58 pm:

I hate long names to spell so I go with a simple name "T".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 03:27 pm:

My 23 was initially named "HOPE" as in
"I hope its still for sale"
"I hope it runs"
"I hope the sheriff doesn't catch me"
"I hope I can hook a fish to buy this pile"
It's name later became something best not repeated in print or out load.

Now I have a real "pile", of parts that will hopefully become a speedster. I'm thinking maybe "Gomer" as in Gomer Pyle...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 03:28 pm:

That should be "out loud"...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 04:06 pm:

I kinda' wanted to name my '26 touring,.... "PHANTASMAGORIC" but I don't think a Model T Touring is wide enough across the back for that, so I might just have to find a restored Lincoln! (:^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 11:31 pm:

Harold!
:-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration