"Impromptu" Fire Extinguisher(s)"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: "Impromptu" Fire Extinguisher(s)"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 06:17 pm:

I guess I've written up some pretty weird "threads" on this forum over the years, but I'd better warn you,.....this may be the all-time "weirdest"!

My wife just showed me something she ran across on the internet about seven (7) strange uses for CocaCola! Of course, all "car guys" have heard for a lifetime, about how CC can be used to remove rust from chrome, etc. But here's a "new one" on me:

I'm wondering if anyone here on the forum has tried this, and if so, how effective it was???

This YouTube thing on the internet, actually showed a small fire being impressively extinguished by quickly shaking up a bottle of CocaCola and spraying in on the fire, which as I said, was COMPLETELY extinguished IMMEDIATELY!

Again, I've never tried it, and let me say right here, that however well this might work, I'm certainly not suggesting that this should take the place of a proper fire extinguisher, however, my thought is that CocaCola would obviously be as effective as water, and the carbonation is actually carbon dioxide, and as we all know, CO2 fire extinguishers in themselves are very effective. So,.....a liquid like CocaCola, containing CO2, which acts as the "propellant" (after a quick shake-up) as well as fire extinguishing properties,......it'd just about have to be effective to quickly extinguish a small fire.

Again, not to in any way, diminish the need to carry a proper fire extinguisher, but for quick immediate response to a very small under-the-hood Model T fire,....I can't help but think that I'd rather clean up the remnants of CocaCola that all that messy white powder from a dry-chemical fire extinguisher. So, while somebody is running for a regulation fire extinguisher, somebody with quicker access to a Coke, or maybe any other carbonated soft drink for that matter, might as well "give it a shot" so to speak. Maybe by the time the "official" fire extinguisher arrives, it just might not be needed at all!

So what do you think,....anybody ever tried this? FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

In the mid seventies there was a car that had an engine fire. A coke truck driver pulled over behind her, pulled out two green bottles of coke and used them to put out the fire. If I recall, it might have been on Paul Harvey radio show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 07:37 pm:

I was driving back 200 miles from Rapid City one night and had a left front wheel bearing going out on my 2001 F150. It caused enough looseness for the disk brake puck to rub on the disk more and more. I tried babying it for about 40 miles, still being 60 miles from home before it got lots worse and I pulled into a closed gas station in a small town we passed through. The left drum was red, and the brake hoses were on fire. I extinguished them with a can of coke shaken up and pointed at the flames.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 10:19 pm:

I used a can of Sprite to put out a fire in the crack of a powerpole once, it was too high to pee on it. Shake the can good and invert it and just crack the opening and you have a very effective extinguisher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 11:43 pm:

yep, saw an antique Indian catch fire - quick as heck the old rider pulled out a coke and shaked it up and in an instant - the fire was out - us younger members of the club, were quite impressed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 01:12 am:

Harold, maybe a pretty neat idea. One of the most important things during a fire is Response Time. A fire can grow very quickly in size. You know most likely that can of soda is in a cooler very handy and has some cold water in the bottom that would be very effective as well.

I have to take exception with your thinking about the effectiveness of CO2. Actually it doesn't have very much horsepower to put out a fire. Reason being is that it has to push the oxygen away to put the fire out. This is very hard for a gas. So little CO2 is in a can of soda it could not have any effect on a candle flame. The great part the CO2 plays is to blast the water from the can and atomize the liquid which multiplies the heat reduction. Water being the most effective fire fighting agent because of how much heat is absorbs by cooling and quenching.

That messy white stuff you mention or the even much better yellow or purple powders are far more effective putting out and keeping the fire out.

Most are very easily washed off with a spray of water and will prevent more damage that a fire allowed to grow by using less effective agents.

I wish I had seen or thought of trying the soda can or bottle when I was fire chief and doing a lot of live fire training. We did many variations of techniques using several types of agents to help the guys learn the effects of how the fire would react.

One thing they all learned was Bigger is ALWAYS Better when it comes to extinguishers. We liked big fires as well. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 06:40 am:

The key here is a small fire! Trash can size or smaller, you don't want to try this on a large fire that can get out of control and above all DO NOT try to use this method on a Kitchen grease fire! Safety First small fire not in an enclosed area this would be fine. As a Sailor I fear fire more than anything else and have seen first hand the results of a well intentioned person trying to take on a fire that was already too big! Sorry,My inner Safety Petty Officer Just had to speak up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 08:53 am:

Regular soda with its high sugar content will leave things sticky. Diet pop would make subsequent cleanup easier. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 01:30 pm:

GR You are so right and thanks for adding the kitchen fire as these are so very hazardous to the unknowing in the house.

Retired Navy chief fire fighting instructor.
ABEC USNR

Steve, I just don't get it when people worry about clean up. Your stuff is on Fire! You don't have a computer control room....lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 01:51 pm:

Diet pop is better for use as a fire extinguisher as they are of no value as a consumable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 02:25 pm:

G.R. Cheshire You are exactly right when you said,...."the key here is a small fire!"

Hmmm,....this seems to be getting out of hand. Twice, I thought I made a point of saying that this CocaCola thing SHOULD NOT EVEN BE CONSIDERED TO TAKE THE PLACE OF A PROPER FIRE EXTINGUISHER!!!

All I meant by my original post here, was that a proper fire extinguisher should always be readily available. However, in "the real world", that proper fire extinguisher might be more than a few steps away, but there is a cooler full of soda pop right there! So, in a very small, tiny fire, just starting, instead of doing nothing while somebody is obtaining the real fire extinguisher, the soda pop thing is something that could be
attempted almost instantly, while the fire is indeed very small and just getting started. That first minute or two, or even the first few seconds, is sometimes all the time it takes for that very small fire to get out of hand for even a "proper fire extinguisher. So, instead of the usual milling around, yelling and screaming confusion, if a can or bottle of pop is handy, give the very small, and not yet dangerous fire that's not yet a threat of human injury, grab the soda pop, give it a shake, and give the LITTLE TINY FIRE a quick squirt, and make the guy who ran for the fire extinguisher feel silly when he finally arrives with it, as the soda pop thing has made the whole thing a "non-incident"! And who cares if your carburetor or whatever is now a bit sticky. The can of pop has prevented a very small incident from becoming a big one! Sheesh,......how else can I say it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 02:27 pm:

.....guess I should say that I am now DONE with this subject, and frankly, I'm almost sorry I brought it up!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 02:53 pm:

Harold don't get discouraged. You'll never know how many you have helped, as there are many that read the forum, but very few actually post.

The only complaint I have about using the soda is after the fire is out and you want to sit back, calm down and have a nice cold soda, it's gone!!!! Better pack a few. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 04:01 pm:

Thanks Dan.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 04:21 pm:

Harold S, Yes. Do not get discouraged. I keep reading it and enjoying most of the comments. Fire safety is something that should be thought about a lot and often! When something pops into flames, one does not have time to think through all the available options and their consequences.
Being prepared, and knowing many things that can be done, makes all the difference in the world.

Fire extinguishers are not always handy. And besides, sometimes they are not adequate, reliable, or correct for the fire at hand.
Case in point. Many years ago, a next-door neighbor's car burst into flame because of a fuel leak at the carburetor. He began shouting, I was inside our house, but heard him and ran out the door, appropriate fire extinguisher in hand (I thought). Discovered after-the-fact that the fire extinguisher was flawed in design, the plastic used to make the head of the thing was incompatible with the chemicals inside. Although I had routine checked it only weeks before, it had deteriorated and leaked, then broke, rendering the thing useless.
This is where the tale fits into this thread in two different ways. One, even if you have a fire extinguisher? It is always wise to have a plan "B". Two, plan "B". Generally speaking, water is NOT a good thing to use to quench a gasoline fire! However, used properly, it may help. A soaking wet (but NOT dripping) large towel can smother a small gasoline fire. The wet towel will not burn (at least for a few seconds). And the water in the towel won't float the gasoline and spread the fire.
This is another place where the size of the fire is critical. Like using a soda can, the fire must still be small enough to be handled by the limited resource. My wet towel placed across the top of the engine smothered the carburetor fire. Didn't even ruin the towel (not that I was concerned about the towel at that point).

We also had a "kitchen" fire once. Something from the broiler erupted into flames after being removed. White powder all over the stove. My wife was concerned about the mess. I told her to not worry about it. We had to find an alternate dinner. But by the next day, it was all cleaned up and one really couldn't even see that we had some excitement that night.

Deal with the fire NOW!!! A few seconds can make a big difference. Worry about the cleanup later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 07:15 pm:

Harold, Thank you for your posting!!!

I don't think anyone here is trying to say anything negative about your post. To the contrary like Wayne just posted more experiences with fire may someday help another person simply reading his post.

Sorry, I certainly didn't mean to upset you so much that you felt like not posting again??

Fire safety and Prevention is a subject nobody really wants to hear about but are happy to tell about when it happens to them. It's like all other safety and prevention subjects and to many just not very interesting. Luckily some of us live for it and have made it a career.

Thanks to all the posters and a super valuable tip about the wet towel. So True

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 08:37 pm:

Harold, one thing your thread sure did for me was to check to be certain I KNOW where my extinguisher is at.
And that I need some more.
With the runnable equipment I have around here (except for newer vehicles, the newest piece is 35 years old and the oldest is 100) and I have one extinguisher.
ONE fire extinguisher on 2-1/4 acres! And I stole that one extinguisher from the house where she had it stashed deep in a cupboard.
Plus the notion to use a can of soda or perish the thought, a cold can of beer on a small fire? I'd never have thought...
Shoot, I'd prob'ly just get myself all wet anyhow. :-)
The opposite of a thread going a bit off from anticipated? No responses to a valid question or remark. That bites.
Duane :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 08:53 pm:

I always carry a bottle of diet coke with me for just such small fires...and yes Gene I worry about sticky sugar residue, that and I'm a diabetic, so in case I get thirsty for something (even a warm something)...well you know. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 11:27 am:

When we got married, a distant relative gave us a fire extinguisher for a gift. She called later to apologize for the "lame" gift. I told her that I thought it was such a good gift that we were giving fire extinguishers and smoke alarms for wedding gifts. 20 years later,Maggie was going to church one morning early, I had plugged one of the tractors in so it would start easy (winter) and the block heater had shorted out and a small fire had started from the insulation and a bit of oil residue. Maggie ran back to the house and grabbed the wedding gift and put the fire out. There was an extinguisher in the camper parked next to the tractor, but she did not remember it. I called the person who made the gift and informed her that the wedding gift had saved a $20,000 tractor.
The point is, get the closest or easiest thing you can find to stop or at least slow a fire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 12:06 pm:

Wew - at least someone hasn't mentioned the method an old guy that was burning a part off for me at junkyard used to put out a small fire.

I wasn't sure I wanted the part afterwards!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration