Tour photography suggestions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Tour photography suggestions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 06:26 pm:

We're running a five-day HCCA Regional Tour in Sherwood Park, AB later this month and have several volunteer photographers tapped to take photos during the event. All are enthusiastic, but not everyone is experienced in Tour Photography.

I've drafted up the following suggestions for our papparazzi, and would appreciate Forum members having a look at the following with an eye to corrections and further suggestions.

Thank you!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Hello fellow tour photographers

Thanks for volunteering to to take photos on one or more days during the Northern "Brass" Lights HCCA tour.

While all photos are welcome, here are some suggestions for particular themes and techniques that will help ensure we have a great collection of photos to remember this wonderful event.

Cars - static: Be mindful of backgrounds. Shoot some from different heights bend/squat and also from higher up. Take full-car photos of course, but also shots of interesting details and accessories (with these, include one photo of the vehicle ID card).

Cars - in motion: These are great to have and all too rare in tour reports. Find a spot with a nice background and get your photos as the cars go by. If you wave at them they'll wave back. If possible, zoom in so the car fills about 1/3 to 1/2 the frame. If you're riding in a car, shoot photos of the oldies as they pass or are passed by.

Cars - in trouble: We're hoping for zero break-downs, but do try to get a few shots if you see a car pulled over with problems. Particularly interesting are photos of people under the hood or under the car, and of the actual flat tire or broken bit. One of these photos will be chosen to illustration our "Hard Luck" award at the Thursday banquet. The perfect breakdown photo? How about a car by the roadside, hood up, three guys under the hood and a disgruntled spouse parked on the running board dreaming about her trouble-free Toyota back home.

People: with the cars, in costume, interacting with the public, eating ice cream, visiting, telling tall tales, looking at the attractions at the various museums and points of interest along the way.

Once you have your photos, please bring me the memory card back at the hotel and I'll download them to the laptop and prepare a slide show of the day's adventures to show during and after the dinner. Take lots!

Thanks very much we really appreciate your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

Chris: Encourage them to use the fill flash feature. It will enhance the brass and other vehicle features as well as fill in shadows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Findlay on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 11:46 pm:

Chris. Can't offer any advise, your suggestions are excellent, but I'm looking forward to the tour. Taking my 11 Canadian rhd touring. See you in 11 days!
Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 10:53 am:

Thanks Bill, will include for sure.

Ken, it will be great to see you and the others next week. We have 37 cars registered from as far away as California, Ontario and Massachusetts, plus three passengers all the way from New Zealand!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 11:00 am:

Remember to always shoot with the sun behind or to the side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 06:10 pm:

Thanks Dave, good suggestion. And if one has the sun behind, be watchful for one's shadow in the photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

Our son did a YouTube video of a local HCCA tour a few years back. It can be found here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Gow1O0ijE

If that doesn't work, search for "Horseless Carriage Abilene Kansas".

My late father was an amateur photographer from the 1940's through 1970's. He belonged to the Wichita Amateur Move Club. They enjoyed making 8mm and 16mm movies. They had movie competitions as well as helped each other with tips and techniques. One of the tricks he used was to add a "running gag" through the movie. It was a little side story that had a short vignette every-so-often in the movie. One movie was of a Field Day that the local HCCA held at Joyland Amusement Park about 1957. The group played various car games to the delight of the spectators in stands. One participant (the subject of the Running Gag) was a fellow dressed like a bum with his old unrestored, dusty, 1920 Buick touring car. There were several Field events that day. There was a 1 & 2 cylinder race. He ran to his Buick and threw up the hood to count the cylinders...1,2,3,4,5,6...shucks!...too many cylinders, I'll have to sit this one out. Then there was the Model T race. He hopped around to the front of the radiator to check the emblem...nope...it said Buick. Then came the Ladies Race. He tried to find a lady that would ride with him...NOPE!...not going to ride with YOU in that dirty old car! Well, it finally come along towards the end of the movie and he found a race he could enter...Hurray!!! He applied the crank to the car and the next thing you see are "stars" to represent a big explosion. When the dust settles, you see parts of the car, like an oil pan, steering column, and wheel, laying on the ground where the car had been. There was a little smoke coming up from them. You then see him perched on top of some telephone wires with his clothes all ripped to shreds, the Buick crank still in his hand, with his other hand used to shade his eyes so he could see where his car might have gone. With modern video editing, the old 8 & 16mm are a little antiquated, but they are still a neat part of history made during a time when movies were still a celluloid strip. If I could ever figure out how to post some of the old movies on YouTube, I will. I know it first takes converting them to digital. I have a few of them converted to digital movies, I just haven't figured out how to post them on YouTube.

As a side note, some famous names were in Wichita for these events back in the 1950's. They included Floyd Clymer and Tom McCahill among others. At one time, they even had the Ford 999 Racer at that meet.
Verne Shirk
Wichita, KS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 03:02 am:

Nice ideas.

I would add 1 more :

BEWARE!
Especially when photographer is close to a road/ driveway/parking lot. "Look Both Ways" and keep safe!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration