What have you done to your T in August?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What have you done to your T in August?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 07:40 pm:

I was pleased to get a box of brass curtain fasteners years ago but the corners are square and not like the originals. I made a jig to hold them while I file them to a better shape. Sadly I need to change about a hundred of them for my three cars that use them. Maybe some winter day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

Richard - that is exactly why Dremel Moto-Tools were made !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 09:24 pm:

Assembled the bendix and reinstalled the cover and external oil line to it.

Getting close to driving again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

I found it! A couple of years ago when Bob was having his big sale I bought a pair of extra outside oil line kits. Wanting to put one on my 1923 touring's newly rebuilt engine, I went looking. Today I found it after only one day. To some this will seem no big deal. But there are things I know I have but haven't found in twenty or thirty years, so I consider finding something in less that 24 hours an accomplishment. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

four more coils rebuild.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 09:47 pm:

I decided to take a look at my 24's headlights. They work, but don't really through a good beam. First off I found one bulb was a teepee type, the other a filament between 2 posts. Fortunately I have an extra teepee bulb. Next I found the adjusters were frozen in both. I got them apart and cleaned the movable sockets. The fixed sockets were a bit rusty, so I used a large bronze bore brush to clean them out. Then I put on a light film of dialectric grease and reassembled. Now they work nice and smooth. I also checked the ground. Both measured 1 ohm from the socket to the negative battery cable. Tomorrow i'll polish the reflectors and reassemble.

brush

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 11:04 pm:

Found a suitable replacement clutch spring.
replacement spring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 11:13 pm:

Gee Wizz you guys are very busy and it's only a Day 2!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 12:59 am:

Ruckstell installation complete.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 10:14 am:

Bob, you did a much better job of trimming the floor mat than I did, I may have to get another mat and try again. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 11:29 am:

Mark, I just got lucky. My plan was to order another mat if it didnít work out. At least one would know where not to cut. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 12:14 pm:

I have had a knock in my 24 engine for a while so while I had the engine out I thought I would check the rods, we all thought it was a noisy valve, this is a new standard Scat crank with new standard rods, a friend came over and took the rod and piston out and tried the rod on the crank, he worked on it until it was a tight fit.shims this is how many shims we removed to get the right fit, all the others were good, I installed a .280 cam and with a 10 tooth pinion I shouldn't have a low end problem.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 01:15 pm:

That is an unusual amount of shims off one rod !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William bender on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 02:08 pm:

Just finished up all the bodywork for my speedster project

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 07:40 pm:

William, The roadster body looks great! Will watch for more on your speedster project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Rhoads on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 09:13 pm:

rebuilt the water pump, and radiator pet cock, removed the radiator lower hose connection and will rivet and solder tomorrow and solder 2 leaking cooling tubes in the radiator

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

While not stock looking, I managed to save the exhaust pipe on my '25 and get the exhaust back on. The pipe is a older replacement, and pretty thick walled. What they had done was use a stamped metal end muffler and they had cut the pipe about 4" out of the muffler. They then used the replacement pipe and had the end expanded to fit over the stub out of the muffler.

That was all well and good, but with the end of the pipe expanded I could not get the pack nut off to replace it. So I cut the expanded end off, and just simply used a 1.5" inside diameter exhaust coupler to rejoin the pipe and muffler. It'll do for now. I did not use any clamps so it could move and flex as designed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 08:37 am:

Not my T, but I did have an opportunity to help a new-found friend "wake up" his '26 Coupe. He's 74, and used to drive the car to high school! In 1962 he laid it up and stored it under cover in a barn. After less than two hours, new battery and some gas and other little fiddling, I got it started! Needs some engine work done, next step is to get it loaded on a trailer and taken to Joe Bell for some R&R. Great day! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 08:41 am:

Gave my 11 Touring a sponge bath to remove all the grime from the Whitefish tour. Plan to drive Carl to work on tomorrow morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 10:25 am:

Sanding the new-to-me steering column down to bare metal in preparation for painting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 10:30 am:

Made over $2K yesterday placing my '19 centerdoor and '29 A roadster pickup in a Shiner Beer commercial yesterday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 12:55 pm:

Another reason to drink Shiner Beer! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 08:48 pm:

Finally got it fired back up. Filled the rear with lube and got warmed up in the garage. Checked the coolant and other than a test drive and possible band and rear shoe adjustments, should be good to go.....until the next project (which may be to helicoil some headbolt holes).

Funny thing about the rear axle lube I bought (600W), I had bought 4 quarts when it was on sale at Macs during the takeover to Eckler's (only my second ever purchase from there in 12 years). Anyhow, I had no idea how much it took to fill the axle. Apparently about a half a quart. Looks like I'll have plenty of axle lube for the future. I did add a drain port to my housing for future changes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

Mainly I used some magical incantations of my fathers (cussed and swore at it) on some rather uncaring bolts here and there, but when I wasn't questioning it's legitimacy and or heritage, I got to work setting the timing and put her back (with bolts friendlier to my cause) together.

Now to get her insured and licensed for the road again! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 10:12 am:

After an extremely long rebuild time (ten years) the Chris Egsgaard hill climb engine was finally test run on an engine stand. Getting the frame ready to drop the engine in and then it's time to build the car. That engine pulled the 22 percent tenth of a mile long Shell Hill in about eight seconds. We had to de-tune it a bit for the street but it will still be quick. We are installing it in a TT frame with a super built 1913 rear end with safety hubs and all modern bearings and Rocky Mountain brakes. We have a three speed Layne Warford and use a stock driveshaft with tapered bearings due to frame length.

The rear of the frame is already Z'd and the front end is equipped with Laurel fittings. It rolls on Buffalo wheels. We are building a depot hack body with a convertible top. So we call it a Mountain Wagon and it will look a lot like Terry Horlick's Toady. More later as we progress. Remember that "time flies like an arrow and fruit flies like a banana".

BBR

eng

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 03:26 pm:

Started to shoot color for my '11. It's definitely a dark blue!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 03:53 pm:

Frank,

What crankshaft is that? Definitely like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 05:16 pm:

Pre paint assembly and installed front seat back and tack rail

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 07:01 pm:

Doug, is that self adhesive insulation?
Neat trick!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 07:45 pm:

After a successful drive today of thirty miles to work and back Carl got a refreshing oil change and grease. I pushed him pretty hard at Whitefish, one day he saw speeds of 40 mph and slightly above. The only casualty of the tour was a missing windshield frame screw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 08:52 pm:

It's self adhesive sound deadening, a trick I learned from Martin Vowell, a fellow forum member and a great guy every time I ask for help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 08:53 am:

Yesterday was a busy day, and I managed to get alot done.

I finally installed my rebuilt generator (I had a block off plate on it forever and simply ran off the storage battery charging it accordingly). I then got to set the third brush to setup the Fun Projects regulator.

And also finally installed a main circuit fuse.

After all the electrical work, I started to freak out a little as my mag decided it didn't want to work. I did not have an Analog meter nor an 1156 bulb to test output (always said I'd get a round to it and buy that stuff). So I decided to pull the mag post and found this:

I believe this wire that was shorting the mag out cam from a piece I used to tie up the bronze clutch fork when I was installing the hogs head. I thought I pulled both strands I used out, apparently not:

I also have been wanting to add a safety triangle. The problem was how to mount it without drilling or mounting directly to the wood of my freshly built pickup bed. I also wanted to be able to remove it easily and not interfere with the tailgate.

The solution I came up with was to build a bracket, that mounted to existing carriage bolts of the bed. The bracket has a piece of 3/4" square tube welded to it. I then used 1/2" square tube to make a mount for the triangle. Effectively I made a miniature trailer hitch / receiver setup. Pull the pin and I can easily remove for shows or opening the tailgate.

I would like to maybe in the future make a spring loaded bracket (like an old flip down license plate bracket) so I can simply fold down the triangle to access the tailgate without removing the triangle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 10:54 am:

Wasted most of Friday morning at the courthouse. Seems like a young John law didn't like the way my license plate was displayed because it was on the driver's side and blocked by the bed on my 27 RPU so that the red light cameras could not see it. I asked the Officer if I had actually run the red light and he said no this citation is for improper display. I informed the Judge that they were all mounted on that side or in the middle under the bed for older RPU's and invited him outside to view my car. When he got out there I showed him the mounting holes on the driver's side and the lack of holes on the passenger side.The case was dismissed and the Officer Chastised for wasting the courts time. I guess I'll have to leave SaraJane parked for a while so his buddies aren't looking for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 12:53 pm:

Fixed a flat on my wife's 1923 Runabout. Drove the heck out of all three T's!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Spadafore on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 03:28 pm:

My generator stopped working a few months ago and I figured it must be the brush plate insulators. Got it open and all the insulation from the field windings came out with the armature. Got those replaced and she's charging beautifully now. While it was down, I decided to change the felt seal on the cam to a neoprene and took care of a coolant weep on the underside of the water jacket. It's been a fairly productive week for little tasks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 03:35 pm:

I went on a 14-mile drive today. Longest and furthest I've taken her since I got her running. Included some nice hills and turns. It was a nice drive that helped build my confidence driving the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 07:11 pm:

After the runabout bodyectomy in mid June. got the t all back together with nos fenders splash aprons and running boards for it's first outing this year. The event was classics on the wharf in conjunction with Heritage Days events here in Salem. To the paint shop soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 07:13 pm:

After putting in the return 14 miles to my trip (28 total), I finally installed the exhaust deflector I've been meaning to put on for 4 months. Took some patient grinding and cutting and then a little creative metal working to get it to fit tightly on the exhaust pipe. But it's on and it's how I want it. Yippy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 07:24 pm:

Worked on the 26 coupe a bought a few months ago. Try to get neutral free actually Free.. not done yet but will have to look at it next weekend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 07:47 pm:

After putting in the return 14 miles to my trip (28 total), I finally installed the exhaust deflector I've been meaning to put on for 4 months. Took some patient grinding and cutting and then a little creative metal working to get it to fit tightly on the exhaust pipe. But it's on and it's how I want it. Yippy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 10:22 pm:

Finally got my rear end and driveshaft rebuilt and put back in the car!

While it was down, I had the radiator re-cored, and dug out my Dad's few body tools, and beat out the songs and re-welded spots on the radiator shroud, and got THAT back together. Been a summer of rebuilding, but may just be done in time to drag along on vacation in a couple weeks!!! Whoot! Whoot!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 04:44 pm:

Put on a speedometer gear. Now I need one of those spindle arms with a hole in it for the drive bracket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / St. Croix Valley Mn on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 09:50 pm:

Just bought/brought home a 1912 Touring. Some forum members may recognize the seller (on R,) as Ed Walhof. Ed was heavily involved in years past with the New London to New Brighton Minnesota run which will occur this Saturday. I will post some questions about this car and 1912's in a separate thread tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 06:10 pm:

I've been making art. Or more precisely, arts and crafts.

The Aermore that was on the Model T had a broken butterfly valve I didn't think I could fix and looking at the advertisement for the product from 1924 I bought on Ebay, the "t" that splices into the exhaust pipe is missing a piece anyway so I decided to mount the thing on a stick. The car has two horns on it already. I thought if this turns out nice, I'll display it in the house. If not, I'll leave it to collect dust in the shop (as opposed to collecting dust in the house).

I've been working on it, off and on, for months mostly learning how to cut a presentable freehand
dovetail joint. Two of the caps of the brass tubes were missing so I found a couple 1914 quarters on Ebay (the year of the car) to plug the holes and decoupaged the Fulton advertisement to the back. The base is a beautiful African Padauk hardwood that's somewhere between orange and red. The upright is ash with a piece of yellow pine to beef up the mounting point and provide a contrast to the padauk. I used copper to represent the exhaust pipe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 11:27 pm:

Hey Gary London, what kind of paint are you using ? looks fantastic ! I did 43 miles in my TT today, took me 2hrs and 10 min :-) what a crack up - but it was fun, that was just cruising in direct drive. Lot's of lights and traffic in places.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 11:47 pm:

All done today 8-12 . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 06:34 am:

I made a start:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 11:17 am:

Finished sanding and painting the new-to-me steering column. Replaced the rusty cotter pins and bent nails holding the throttle and spark bellcranks to the levers with proper roll pins. also did the same to the tension springs on the rods. Gotta finish the factory horn button assembly, then will install the column.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 12:58 pm:

Swapped out my Anco Timer for a New Day. Wanted to see if there is a difference but my Anco needed to be replaced anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 01:33 pm:

Finished the horn button assembly. I forgot that I purchased a complete wiring harness from Lang's a couple of years ago and only used the lighting harness portion. Sure enough, there was a horn wiring harness in the box (currently on back order due I understand, to the loss of a supplier). I installed the horn harness, and now I'm outta excuses not to install the column. Maybe I can be road testing it next weekend!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 05:03 pm:

Opened the inpection hole in the hogshead to adjust the clutch and saw that the wood band on the brake was weared and loose.
And I prefer to pull the hogshead as I then are sure not to bend the bands when disassembling and assembling the bands (the must be circular).
Once the hogshead are off, its also much easier to adjust the cluch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Magyor-Northwestern, Pa. on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 09:57 am:

My wife and I mounted four new Universal T-Driver tires on four new McLaren clincher rims. I operated two short tire irons while my wife pushed the tire to help it seat. We tried one using the trash bag technique just for comparison to the standard mounting method. For us, using a trash bag wasn't any better and actually took more time removing bits of plastic bag. I did choose to install tire flaps with the new inner tubes. It all went pretty smooth and no kind of lube was needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 10:42 am:

Eric, are the McLaren rims based on Hayes, with the lug extending past the bead?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 02:30 am:

Block back from engine rebuilder today:

Bores honed, block planned, hardened inserts for valves, tappets and new OS valves set up. Ready for assembly!

While waiting I have been renovating my son-in-laws' 1940's ex USN Milwaukee-Delta 14" band saw (was navy grey from new but I liked the yellow for the knobs). This is related to my T as I need it for making the body wood for the planned 'colonial roadster':

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Magyor-Northwestern, Pa. on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 11:32 am:

Steve,

They are available with the Hayes style lug. But, here are the lugs on the ones I got. The lugs have a hefty weld on the inside of the rim to attach them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 12:21 pm:

Steve, what is the finish on those rims? Are they galvanized, powder coated, or bare steel?

Since those don't have the "foot" that extends back towards the center of the rim, they MIGHT work on Kelsey felloes in addition to Hayes. You would have to check for full 360 degree contact between the felloe and rim on both the inside and outside to make sure. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 12:45 pm:

I took this several-years-old new exhaust manifold out of the box, and realized I don't know the proper way to prep it for Rustoleum High Heat Primer!

Do I use Acetone or Lacquer Thinner, or wire brushing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William bender on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 02:25 pm:

Just finished up painting my front and rear end for my speedster sometime this week I'll get the frame done

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 04:29 pm:

Making progress on Martin Parry cab rebuild.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 07:53 am:

Bought it, now I have 2 am I in trouble?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 08:17 am:

G.R. NO ! But don't put two T's in one garage, in the mean time you have three !!!!!
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 08:57 am:

Install a distributor with a centrifugal advance
and oil filter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 09:13 am:

Got my 1923 chassis running after rebuilding the drive train. Here is a video on YouTube of the first drive:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L69XZUdj_Zk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 11:32 am:

Finished installing the new-to-me steering column yesterday. Took it for a 15-mile test drive this AM No surprises. This was the first trip for the T in five weeks. Started and ran great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 12:54 pm:

After a hiatus of several years, I am resurrecting
my '25 Roadster. I have gotten in such bad shape that doing almost anything is impossible, but I will persevere. I have converted to 12 volt, I had a 6 volt alternator, had it re-converted back to 12, and so far, so good. Cannot get the headlight rims off to change headlight bulbs, will keep trying. Thanks to the generosity of Royce Petersen, I finally am getting an elevator for my timer, I can't reach or handle the present original placement, this will improve that problem. Hopefully, I will get my hydraulic rears installed this Summer, I've had them for several years. Also have a turn signal kit that I should be able to install with a minimum of bending. It keeps me out of the Beer Joint and Domino Parlors anyway. It is a real treat now to just lightly step on the starter and have her fire up instantly, I like 12 volt. I hope that on my next trip to the Doctors, Hospital, or ER, I will be able to drive myself in my Car, that is my plan anyway. May even be able to get Her over to Kerrville, here's hoping.

My Car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 04:52 pm:

Played around today with a running board battery box for a 27 depot hack. Different stains and different spar varnish sheens.
English oak with semi gloss. Made a stencil and burned in the Ford script logo.

Not a finished product, just playing around on a sunny afternoon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 06:29 pm:

Slowly chipping away at my rear axle rebuild here. Most of the disassembly is done, nothing yet measured to see what can be kept. So far a quick visual inspection show's I'll be on the phone with Bob's some day this week for a few things, hopefully the list stays short.

And if anyone was wondering, the Babbitt thrust washers showed one crusty washer and one completely absent with just little bits in the oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william m leahy on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 02:49 pm:

Back together just in time for the eclipse:-)Coupe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william m leahy on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 02:59 pm:

Oh, and I know that the bale type door handles aren't correct, but I had a pair of NOS on hand. And, I like the look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 05:22 pm:

Just finished rewiring the T. Took longer than I thought. Will post some pictures later in the week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 08:13 pm:

August was a long month... after installing arebuiltengone from Mr Bell...i rebuilt the differential and drive shaft, then rebuilt a boat trailer into a T hauker (all in other threads). Put the T on the trailer, and hauled it about 250 miles north to Petoskey, MI.... been grand having it for our main car while on vacation! Have about 100 miles on it , so far...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Sorenson-Montrose,CO on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 08:49 pm:

New battery installed.......
Beats hand cranking....
Took a couple of trips to mailbox...
She needs a low band adjustment but did pretty good for sitting in a barn for ten years...
I have a set of wire wheels and a set of clinchers that came with it...
Carl....26 Touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 02:17 pm:

Installed the new inside/outside bearing races in the front hubs for my 1915 Runabout.
Using my newly found Ford part # 3-Z-2316 front hub race installation tool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 02:29 pm:

Took some friends and neighbors for some short rides in Betsy the day of the eclipse. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 03:39 pm:

SOLD It to C.R. Thanks, Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 03:46 pm:

Tried to adjust Free neutral on Andy it would be there then he would start creeping again. when I inspected the clevis connection I found a lot of wear so I made a new one.
Neutral seems to work for the time being

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

Went and got my 2017 inspection sticker before the eclipse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 11:47 am:

Exhaust manifold developed leak. Upon removal and inspection, found exhaust manifold sagging and partially covering #4 exhaust port. Ordered and installed a new exhaust manifold, while I was at it, installed an aluminum high flow intake manifold as well. Seems to have more pep now and quieter.

Before

After

(Message edited by AzBob on August 23, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 12:31 pm:

I had been given the seat section from a 1919-1921 cut down touring body. They had cut thru the fake door and about the middle of the part under the passenger door (along with removing the rear tub in the past to make a PU) to remove the cowl section. It was taking up too much space so I spent time Sunday breaking it down. The seat covering had never been off so the original card board spring backer was there along with seeing what was left bare and what had paint, including the runs from painting before the seat coverings were installed. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 01:19 am:

Too many good things going on yous guys!
Me? Nothing.
Took the 10 year old granddaughter for a spin last night (she's a good T driver already-with assistance).
Lit the 3 lamps, twisted the switch up on the column and we headed out for a 3 mile toodle in the dark. I really need to adjust the headlamps.
The RH front park lamp went out right away but her and I had a good time. :-)
Goll, I sure like that handy electric starter.
PLUS a FREE start when putting him into his shed for the night.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Thursday, August 24, 2017 - 04:11 am:

Working on the assembly now.... I'm at a standstill until I complete the finish of the dash. I also got the glass replaced in the windshield (after stepping on it)....

I hope to have it running Labor day weekend. I have everything to complete it except the side lamps which are coming from Bill Glass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 11:54 am:

Found the tip where the top connects to one of the windshield stanchions broken

so I got it prepped for metal surgery

O.K. so it's not the prettiest thing in the world but it will work until I find a better one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Friday, August 25, 2017 - 01:03 pm:

Putting " Nuthin' Special" together with my wife and son

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 02:43 pm:

When my pick-up was bought by me it was eventually a barn find in the concept that it had not been driven regularly since 1972 or something. I was not surprised then to find out that the magneto did not work.
It have been driven quite well on the battery with new refurbished coils, but driving on the magneto is always a little better or more.
I had for a while planned to try to remagnetise "in situ" since I have no need nor plans to take the engine apart as it is driving so well.
Today was the day where I finally had 3 well charged 12 volt batteries on hand + 2 sets of jumper cables and a compass.

It was actually much easier than I thought once I was in it.

And it worked like a charm and a noticable even better performance of the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 07:45 pm:

Somewhat T related, I extended the vertical posts on my Harbor Freight 12 ton hydraulic press so that it would be tall enough to press side gears on & off of Model T axle shafts.

I have two new axle shafts from Chaffin's to install in Betsy's standard Ford rear axle assembly this winter (she is currently running a Ruckstell). :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 07:56 pm:

Mark

let us know how that worked...I can't get them to budge with a 12 ton press...:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 09:10 pm:

Finished work in Frank, and his hauler, and took both to Petoskey, Mi for a week long vacation. Used Frank as the 'daily driver' while there, leaving the tow vehicle parked. Lots of hills, pretty country and no rain! Perfect temperatures!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 11:57 pm:

Finished up my fixture to hold timers by their locating surface for turning. It's really made to be held on the outside diameter in a three jaw chuck. Shown only for demonstrative purposes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john hardiman on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 12:46 am:

Philip,

When you made the jig did you use an indexer and if so what would be the degree setting for 1, 2, 3 and 4 contact point protruding from the commutator. Also, what size end mill was use to preform this task?

I am machining a fixture too. I am at the point where I need to mill that area.

Indexing head or not! Could you explain how this was performed.

PS. Am building tool to adjust height of the magnets. Looking for a couple bearings. I have a place in mind in Canton, Massachusetts but, have not gone there as of yet. Have all the pieces cut to fit, with the exception of the main body bearing surface.

Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 01:46 am:

Wow! some great stuff here. Ron's new wheels are gorgeous, and so is Gary's new car so far. Looks like it will be a stunner when done.

Today I finished up the roadster's transmission and installed the oil pan, then spent way too much time getting the hogshead ready to install.

I thought I would use a plastic zip tie to hold the compressed low pedal spring.

It went in easy and looked like just the thing, but wasn't strong enough to hold the spring when it was really compressed.

So next I tried safety wire.

With the wire in, I installed the adjuster and turned it all the way in, "stepped" on the pedal to compress the spring, and twisted the wire tight. It was a wonderful idea, but the wire broke too.

Finally I quadrupled the wire, and that was strong enough to hold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 08:00 am:

Mark/Scott - I have a 20 ton model press. While I have not yet tried to press gears on/off, I've read where others had no problem using the 20 ton model. As inexpensive as they are, its a worthwhile step up. One piece of advice, there are two versions. Get the #60603 version. Its the bolted together version. The other is welded together and is often crooked. The 60603 lets you assemble it true and square. You can also upgrade to grade 8 bolts. I've made a few other mods to mine and am very happy with it - most notably the winch to raise/lower the table. pr1
pr2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 08:16 am:

I turned the fixture on a manual lathe then finished up using a HAAS VF2-SS cnc mill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 08:53 am:

I've been fighting a nasty-sounding knock for a little while now but, just yesterday, I believe I located the culprit.

I ran the engine without the valve cover and the knock seems to occur at cam speed as it seems to occur in time with the opening and closing of the valves. The knock shows up between #2 and #3, improves significantly when I ground out #3 especially, and gets much louder when the spark is fully advanced. The rods are set to the proper clearance, the wrist pin bolts are tight, the pistons do not seem to be striking the cylinder head or the gasket.

I pulled the timer yesterday and used a screwdriver to move the cam forward; I can bring it forward about 3/32" - 1/8". I think I'll shim the cam and see if it changes the noise or makes it go away entirely. If that isn't it, I'm lost.

(Message edited by zdillinger on August 28, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ralph Fitz-Gerald on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 09:36 am:

It is Model T touring season in Vermont. We have been touring the back roads and attended the Stowe Car show. This week my son and I stop in Richmond at the Model t Museum, what a great place. The garage was tremendous with three t being worked on by the volunteers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 08:38 pm:

Zachary

I think what you're hearing is a classic center-main knock. If you do not remedy it with messing with the cam, try checking main bearing clearance with plastigage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 28, 2017 - 11:09 pm:

More roadster. I installed the hogshead and the ball cap. About noon the Fedex guy delivered another one of those NOS New Zealanders. After washing off the green stuff I put it on the stretchers. I'll leave it that way for a couple of days, then I'll take it to town and have the pros mount it. Even after stretching, these things are too much for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew C. McCullough on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 10:45 am:

Stumbled upon a really nice '26 Runabout I wasn't in the market for. Now I have a "small" Ford problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 08:07 pm:

After being slightly laid up from surgery 6 weeks ago, started cleaning and prepping my cowl tank. I may have to do the POR15 decease soak again. We'll see what it looks like tomorrow AM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 08:56 pm:

Put new gears and a new screw-on top on the '27s steering column. Lang's now has a really great repro of the bright column cover. It's so new it's not even in the catalog. With the new gears and top, the slop in the steering shaft is gone Hoorah! Now if they get in the spring-loaded pitman arm-drag link socket, driving my T will be fantastic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 11:31 pm:

I shoved the engine back in the roadster.

Until I get around to making the special U-joint tool, a piece of baling wire will do to hold it in place.

Tomorrow comes the other stuff: engine mounting bolts, steering column, pans, manifolds, etc., etc., etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 11:58 pm:

Well, nothing yet. Still awaiting it's arrival. About another 2+ weeks yet!

Cheers,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 10:19 am:

Finished to build a Growler test unit to test the fresh rebuild generator rotors.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 01:28 am:

Installed the last of the body-to-frame bolts, ball cap bolts with wire & cotters, wishbone cap & wire, engine pans, hood shelves & clips, manifolds, coil box & plug wires, carburetor & rod, timer & rod, u-joint grease, engine oil, and a few other odds and ends. I should be ready for a test drive soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Friday, September 01, 2017 - 03:44 am:

Well, we did do this August (US time) (I am cheating a bit as it was 1 Sept in NZ!)

Crank fitted, Cam installed. Crank is snug in all mains. We gave it a 'run in' with the attachment on the end of a very large and tourqy DeSouter drill which is probably an antique in its own right!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration