Early Front Spring Perches, Wishbone Over Axle, Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Early Front Spring Perches, Wishbone Over Axle, Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 04:13 pm:

I have a pair (left and right) of the early front spring perches, wishbone over the axle.

These have holes in the top, I suppose for the flip-top oilers.

My question is...Were any of these perches made without those holes? I want to use the threaded oilers, not the flip-top.

If there's a right/left set for sale without the top holes, I'd like to buy them.

If none are available, would it hurt to fill in these holes and grind smooth, or would the filling-in warp the bushing hole?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 04:27 pm:

I filled one with J B Weld. It was a long time before replacement on an early front axle. Early '15 was the last of the early no hole perches. Mid '15 had the spring "manhole cover" oilers. Flip-top began about '17 I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 04:42 pm:

Thank you, Wayne.

Did the J B Weld hole your paint?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 04:42 pm:

Wayne, sorry.

Did the J B Weld hold your paint ok?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

Another approach is to pound a lead fishing weight into the hole, then file it flush.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 08:03 pm:

I've tapped the oil hole with an 1/8" NPT tap and then screwed in the same size pipe plug. You can then file the top off the plug and even leave the center ridge so that it contours the perch perfectly.

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 12:22 am:

Bill E, The J B Weld sanded nicely and looked very good when painted. I know it is not the preferred repair/modification method. Brazing would be more permanent. Welding, even better. But I have seen thermal fractures formed, or distortion problems (not usually an issue with something as heavy as a spring perch). On the other hand, I have also seen a welded repaired front spring perch fail once (not mine). Once was enough.
I also like the lead weight idea, and the threaded plug also has merit.
The thing about all those chintzy patch jobs? They can do a nice job, with minimal risk of creating a new point of failure. Personally, I think if they look good? And do not add any risk? I am okay with that. That said, I do admire higher quality workmanship.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

I have a nice early no-hole pair if you're interested.

rvmodeltATnetsyncDOTnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 11:07 am:

Sent you a P.M.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 05:06 pm:

If you want to sell your pair now that you found another let me know. I've been casually looking for a project I intend to start again in the next 2-4 years.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration