How big?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How big?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Johnson on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 04:42 pm:

I drove a T Touring about 20 years ago and I'm finally in a position to purchase one in the next few years. Problem is, er, um, I'm pretty big. 5'7" 350 lbs. I've done some searching and I haven't really found a definitive answer. Could I drive one? I prefer an open car, but would a closed car be any better or worse? Fatman steering wheel seems like something I'd need to start with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 05:16 pm:

Your height is not the problem -- I am 6'2" and wear a #15 shoe, and I do fine in a Touring Car. It's a bit tight getting in and out with the top up, but I rarely put it up. I suspect you'd do better in a Touring than a closed car, and they are a lot more plentiful.

As for your girth, a Fatman wheel would probably help. I'm 285 and don't have one, but.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris, Huntington Beach California on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 05:31 pm:

1925 and earlier open cars will have much more room. Open 26-27 cars are a tight fit for the driver. My 27 Coupe had a lot of room (seat was adjustable with instructions in the owner's manual). I'm not sure about the earlier closed cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Nebelsky on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 07:25 pm:

I am 6'-2" and right at 300 lbs. and have no problem in my '15 Touring Car (standard steering wheel).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Johnson on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 04:13 pm:

I know height isn't the problem. Girth is more of the issue! ;)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration