Waxing suggestions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Waxing suggestions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 07:39 pm:

Would anyone have a favorite too wash and wax a T ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 08:26 pm:

I have catalyzed acrylic enamel on my cars and I use the wash and wax which you can get at any auto parts or at Walmart. You just put some in a bucket of water and sponge on. Then wipe off with a clean towel. I have never used any other kind of polish or wax on them. They are parked in the garage except when being driven. I don't rinse and only use a hose on it if there is mud under the fenders which I do before the wash and wax.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 09:00 pm:

Thank you for the response Norm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 01:05 am:

I don't wash my cars. I use a car duster for the dust and spray detailer for fingerprints and smudges. The detailer keeps them shiny without washing or waxing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 09:08 am:

Learned from a well respected car guy around here not to use wax, but rather POLISH. So I switched to Wizards products and couldn't be happier. I use their "Master Shine" polish once in the spring, then maintain it maybe once a month with their "Mist 'n Shine" spray detailer. Wow, really looks good, dust occasionally with a high quality (yes there's a difference) microfiber cloth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 09:19 am:

Went to a car show and I had not cleaned the T because around here the judges don't pay any attention to it if it isn't dripping with billet items! This guy comes up and says he has a new product and would like to use my car to demonstrate it, I thought what could it hurt so I said ok.. The car looked pretty good when I left but 3 days later the stuff started to turn yellow and was a B**** to get off I'll stick with Meguires!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 10:29 am:

Meguires ultimate quick wax and spray detailer as necessary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 11:13 am:

I don't wax my cars anymore in term of using the rotary buffer etc. If I've toured in some mud or got caught in the rain, I'll hose it down a bit, both underside and topside, dry, then use a two step process with a couple Griots products I like. Start by going over with their waterless car wash, then follow immediately with their Speed Shine product. Just out of the garage I'll skip the hose down step. Seems to work particularly well on black cars, and I've tried Mequires, Turtle Wax, etc.

One thing I've noticed about all products is not to use them in direct sun or on really hot days when they'll dry too fast. Also, skipping the wash step sometimes results in the Speed Shine leaving an odd matt finish, almost looks like some kind of oil smearing which the wash seems to remove. Not a problem though just removing fingerprints.

My brother in law is in the, "natural patina" camp for the most part, but I find it therapeutic to spend time under the tree going over the cars. To each his/her own...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 11:16 am:

I like to use Meguires Carnauba wax after using there polish. I tried the new type of waxes but didn't like them at all. I dust my cars off most of the time but eventually I have to put soap and water on it. I live in the desert and my T and A are frequent drivers with old yet shiny paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 11:55 am:

I use Honda "Spray Cleaner and Polish" it works fantastic! Spray it on and wipe it off, leaves NO residue. It can be found at most any motorcycle shop. You can use it on plastic, chrome, nickel, paint and aluminum. Its a spray on carnauba wax basically. Love's the stuff~

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 11:59 am:

LOL Wax a car? Not me--- but I use WD-40 on the T and A.

Both have "fine patina" and all I want to do is get some oil into the rust to stop oxidation.
WD-40 works great because it has a low viscosity thus it soaks into the crevices and when dry leaves an oily substance behind.
A friend claims that US military tests showed that WD-40 beat all the expensive stuff in protecting metal in the jungles of Vietnam.

It looks pretty good until I drive it down a dirt road ! :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 01:50 pm:

Thanks to everyone who responded. I now have a couple of choices

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 02:06 pm:

I have to put in a plug for Mothers Waxes and Polishes since they sponsor many of our National and local Model T tours with samples and 5 gallon buckets of product.

They have a new product called Waterless Wash and Wax. It's an extreme lubricant that encapsulates the dirt so you can safely wipe it away without scratching a fine finish.

They also have many other products that more T guys might use like the Back to Black for cleaning the tires.

Both Mothers and Meguiar's are local SoCal companies here close by with premium products.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 03:02 pm:

I'll put in a plug for Mothers California Gold. Really adds luster to the car. Won't last as long as some of the synthetic waxes, but it looks good for 6-8 weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 05:28 pm:

We have had a representative from Meguiar's come talk to our Early Ford V8 local group a couple of times. Meguair's has many different products available; many more than you will find at the local discount stores. I had a 1981 Dodge SW that was painted maroon. After listening to their presentation and visiting their store I was able to restore the finish on my SW to where it looked new. To kind of echo what was said above, I generally don't wax my 1933 Ford, I usually just polish it with No. 7 or No. 9. I believe 3M has similar products. You just need to go to "professional" level detail shop suppliers to find them.
Verne Shirk
Wichita, KS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 08:26 pm:

Thanks Vern, Kevin and Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 08:50 pm:

I won a bucket of Mother's products in Albuquerque. I'd say I really like it but my wife does the washing and waxing, she really likes the Mothers products.

Andy

P.S. I do have to polish the brass.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration