Quickchange band ear location

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Quickchange band ear location
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 08:53 pm:

I have two running T motors. The one in the car (1925) has the removable band ears on the passenger side while the one on the test stand (1927) has the removable ears on the driver's side. Which is correct??? Thanks : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

Bruce, i believe having them on the drivers side is the preferable choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 09:31 pm:

Drivers side. The clock wise rotation of the drums keep the ears tight as it wants to pull the bands in that direction keeping the buttons tight. If they are on the other side will pull the buttons to the spot of disengagement in their slots in the ears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 12:27 am:

As the Ford instructions for LHD and RHD are directly opposite.
( removable ears on the drivers side in each case) there is no issue with the buttons disengaging from the ears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hoogendoorn on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 01:48 am:

Correct Peter, trying to put RHD bands in with the ears on the passenger side is almost impossible. Never had a problem with ears detaching while on the driver's (wrong?) side.

Paul, 1922 RHD Canadian Runabout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 03:36 am:

My understanding of this question is it has nothing to do with engine rotation which wouldnt change world wide. It's all to do with being fitted to the drivers side. In my case RHS

I have just looked into this as I'm converting to the removable ear type

Isn't it to do with the ease of removal exiting opposite the
pesky pedals and shafts??
Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 05:27 am:

Here is the Canadian instructions for you Alan,

If you think about it is impossible for the buttons to move from the position they are when fixed to the ear. The band ends move towards each other an make the band smaller in diameter, the drum would have to shrink and if it did the band ends would then just move closer and clamp the drum again.
rhd1
rhd2
rhd3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim R. Wynn on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 10:53 pm:

Glad that I found this to night. Installing "quick change" bands in my 23 Roadster this weekend. I am not looking forward to removing the hogshead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 09:57 am:

Isn't it amazing how many times an item being discussed on the Forum is of immediate benefit to you just like Kim wrote.

It has happened to me so many times! What a great source of information we have from knowledgable and willing people world wide. Thanks Frank, I'll print those instructions off and follow them.

Alan in Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 09:59 am:

Sorry not Frank this time but Peter Kable. Both great Blokes

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration