Sometimes it's the simpelest thing over looked

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Sometimes it's the simpelest thing over looked
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 08:50 am:

My 14 started to miss at speed. I have put over 15,000 miles on this engine since I installed it four years ago and have not done anything to it since. I checked the easiest first. I had a set of Motorcraft F-11's in it that when I installed this engine were used out of another T. I put these in just to get it going. I later bought a new set, but never got around to installing them. I put the new ones in, didn't make any difference.
I have run a set of Ron Patterson coils with way more miles than he said they would last. I had another set, so changed them, still ran the same. Next checked the New Day timer that was okay as well as all electrical connections.
I drained the gas shut off, some dirt came out, but still no difference. I run the original Holly G, my spare is a brass Kingston L4, I switched them, again no change.
Now I'm really thinking, something I should have done first instead assuming the "easy" way out. Years ago I was driving my 20 to New Hampshire and I ran into a similar problem, turned out to be a weak brush spring. I took it apart and stretched the spring, end of problem. Now I had checked the timer but just glanced at the brush which appeared okay. I took the timer off again and this time removed the brush. It was worn right down to the bracket that holds it. I replaced it and problem solved. Proving once again the problem is always the last thing you check.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 09:05 am:

Glad you found it Dan! Gives us yet another "thing" to keep in the back of our mind should something like that come up. My Clara was acting a bit like a brat the other day, so I took her timer off and cleaned it, inspected and cleaned the end of the brush, and that took care of it too. I had a mechanic that worked for me back in my day that always said with his cool hillbilly drawl, "Lil Mister (I was shorter than him!), y'all always wanna cheyck the simple things first"! He was always right. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 09:10 am:

Dan I usually find things that I have lost in the same place ..the last place I look! It was an easy fix but sometimes I think our T's like to keep us guessing, they are probably laughing at us saying "after 100 years they still don't have us figgured out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 09:34 am:

Our motorhome has a flat, horizontal dash area with a cigarette lighter that I plug the gps in to. Last time out the lighter kept blowing fuses and I would lose power to the gps. I spent two days on the road, changing fuses, checking wiring, and in general feeling very frustrated. Stopped at an auto parts store and bought all the stuff to install a new unit, figuring the old one was bad somehow. When I pulled the plug out of the cigarette lighter I found two dimes in the bottom. As we went around curves, etc, the dimes would short out the unit, blowing fuses. I blamed my 3 year old grandson who had been playing in there before we left on the trip, but who knows.

Any way, two dimes, 20 cents, kept me guessing for two days. Fished them out and problem solved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James L. Bodkin - Jim on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 10:03 am:

Hey guys,
By definition, when you finally find something or fix something it is always going to be the last place you looked. At that point you finally find it or fix it. Hehe
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 10:20 am:

Easy, time-saving solution: Look 'there' first! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 11:14 am:

Dan, Thanks for the helpful hint. I'm wondering, what kind of timer do you have on that car?

Thanks, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 11:21 am:

I have quite a few New Days with worn out brushes. Now that they are making new ones, I wonder if they could just sell the brush with the hole in it like original?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 11:49 am:

I have so many things in the "back of my mind" that I fell over backwards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 07:49 pm:

Tim, glad that worked for you also, just watch for brush wear.
Keith, I use old original New Day timers on all my T's. I turn them to clean them up, also the edge of the case so the brush still has strong contact pressure, another reason I should have figured it out earlier.
G.R. I have that problem also. If I waste to much time looking, I call Ellen out. She has an uncanny ability to spot things.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration