21" Wheels or 30"?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 21" Wheels or 30"?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 10:20 am:

From some of my research here, a 1923 T should have 30" wheels and not 21" wheels correct? Would it be better to change the wheels from 21" back to 30" or just leave them as is? It's a Fordor. Would appreciate your guy's views.

Thanks,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 10:30 am:

I believe the 21" wheels didn't make their first appearance until the 1925 model year. So 30" tires would be the "correct" choice. However, I have plenty of Friends in the hobby that swear the 21" variety gets better tread life. So I guess it all comes down to your preference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 10:43 am:

30 inch wheels are correct for your car, however, it will run just fine with 21 inch wheels. Are the wheels wood or wire? The wire wheels will get a good price in a swap meet. You will need to also change the hubs if they are wire wheels but you could probably get enough to buy a good set of 30 inch wood wheels and the tires too.

If the wheels are 21 inch wood wheels and need new spokes you could replace with 30 inch wheels instead of re-spoking the 21 inch wheels.

So to wrap things up, it depends on why you would change the wheels. If they need to be repaired, that would be a good time to change. If you want authenticity, change them now.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 11:01 am:

Kevin & Norman,

Thank you, this is a T I am thinking of purchasing. I prefer factory correctness. But, how should this affect price? Is this a plus or negative? The 21" wheels do not need to be repaired and tires are good.

Thanks again!
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 11:37 am:

The clincher tires last about 7000 miles. The 21 inch tires will last 20,000 or more miles. They wear very slowly on a Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 02:45 pm:

Willis, My guess is that there will be zero impact on the price. Lots of folks seem to prefer the demountable 21" tire to the 30" variety precisely for the reason Ted wrote about. I know a gent who is planning on participating in the Ocean to Ocean Tour in 2018 that is switching his 30" tire to 21" tires. The fact that the car already has 21" tires on it will attract some buyers and repel others. You can mention your preference for the original 30" tires in the negotiating process, but I'm not sure there is any advantage to be gained for you as a Buyer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 03:30 pm:

One can still purchase 21" tires "Made In U.S.A." !!! 30" clincher tires are all "Imported" !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 07:03 pm:

The out side diameter of both the 30 and 21 are about the same. If you are restoring the car to drive I would say stick with the 21's. More tread on the ground and in todays traffic, that is a good thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 07:43 pm:

21" are better tires that last longer, are safer, made in USA, and cost less than 30" clinchers.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration