Pros and cons of a 1927

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Pros and cons of a 1927
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 10:38 am:

While waiting to stumble on my holy grail T, 1911 or 1912 Torpedo, I have an opportunity for a 1927 roadster. It's a totally different vehicle from my 16. What makes this better or worse than the pre 1926 T's?. The car I'm looking at is a non runner with most of the parts and pieces. Also has a Ruckstell, with no linkage. I do understand the asset vs. liability concept.
r/s Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 10:53 am:

Better?

- Wider brake drum in the transmission and bigger, lined parking brakes.

- Possibly more seating room.

- No brass to polish!

Worse?

- Can't think of anything...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Stubenvoll on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 11:10 am:

Drivability! While its been argued on every platform out there that a T is a T, they were continually improved over the years. Some changes were for profitability but many were to make it more saleable, i.e. creature comforts and ease of operation. You would have either split rims or wire wheels - no clinchers to cuss at, 'lectric lights and 'lectric start with a '27. A four dip pan to keep ALL the rods adjusted. The list of "better" or "easier" is too long for this forum. However, I happen to love every year, and all of their idiosyncrasies. But - '27 roadsters look really cool.............

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 11:14 am:

No leg room in the front seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 11:19 am:

the 27 sits lower than 25 and earlier t's Rumour has it that Henry was trying to make the car look sportier so the spindles are different to make the front end lower.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 11:20 am:

The little extra room in the improved car goes a long way. At 6'2" & 205lbs I am way more comfortable in my 26 roadster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 11:25 am:

You sit "in" a 26-7 and "on" an earlier car, at least it feels that way to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 11:39 am:

Per Larry, Leg room is limited. However, I find there is plenty of head room and side room is ample. If you have the wire wheels, you will marvel at how easy it it to change tires. I can change the tires with my hands. Only occasional use of a tire iron is necessary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 11:52 am:

Depending on personal tastes, a lot of people consider brass cars aesthetically superior. Practically, the 27 is better in most things. Negative comments I've seen about them had to do with the vaporizer which some find troublesome, and the shorter leg room.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 11:58 am:

No reproduction fuel tanks available for the improved cars...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 12:16 pm:

"No reproduction fuel tanks available for the Coupe, Tudor, Roadster, Touring improved cars..."
The improved Fordor and TT use the standard oval tank.
I fixed it for you, Tim :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 12:18 pm:

Henry's 'Improved Car' has all the features Henry came to understand as needed for reliability and ease of handling.

Lower chassis.

Balloon tires.

Larger steering wheel.

Trans cover anchored to the motor and chassis.

Wider transmission brake band.

Lined and larger Emergency brake.

Gas tank in cowl for greater gravity flow, and the passenger stays seated on re-fills.

Both windshield panes tilt out for better vent.

Driver's door!

Full fenders for mud and water spray protection.

Available accessories like bumpers, stop lamp, wing wings.

Body paint colors!

It's the last Model T, and the best!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 12:23 pm:

Actually, the driver's door is kinda useless. I think it was installed primarily so Ford could say that it had one. With the parking brake applied - which would be the case almost anytime that you tried to get in or out - unless you make a rail look fat you can't use it. I still get in and out of my '27 through the passenger's door. If you have a cowl-mounted tank, always keep your eyes open for a spare.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 12:34 pm:

John,

I make a rail ....... road caboose look fat .....

Does that count for anything ?

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 01:48 pm:

John What you said is true, My drivers door latch and hinges are pristine. The passenger door is all but worn out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 02:57 pm:

I love my 26-7 open cars, and john I use the drivers door in my 26 roadster because Henry put it there granted, it took him a few years to figure out that a door on the drivers side is useful .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 03:27 pm:

Once you get the hang of boarding through the driver's door on the '26-'27 open car, you will always use it!

Why make your mate depart out the passenger door so you can slide over???

Easy to also curve the emergency brake/clutch lever against the kick panel, and set the function so when brake is on, you have lots of clearance to enter. Try it!

Lots of entry clearance

Enter by left foot on running board, grab the wheel, put you right foot in....and slip on down into the seat....

Then, lift you left foot off the running board, and swing it into the compartment....easy peezie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 04:17 pm:

Hardest part of boarding from the driver side is getting the left foot past the parking lever.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 08:37 pm:

I love love love my 27. Getting in is no problem. Yes, the lever is a bit of a problem. I keep my foot on the left of the lever when I start her and then bring it over once I throw the lever full forward. Getting out is a bit of a pain, certainly more so than getting in, but I can't imagine that getting in/out isn't 50-times more of a pain. Beside that, I love the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 08:39 pm:

Sorry - meant to say that getting in/out on the passenger side isn't 50-times more of a pain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 11:02 pm:

then you do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around, and that's what its all about. Yeh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 12:21 am:

Some of you should take a try with a center-door sedan! Wish I still had mine.
I have never had a '26/'27 T. With a little good luck for a change? Maybe there could still be a chance for one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 01:07 am:

All right yous guys. :-)
How about with side curtains installed and top up? Use the other door?
Plus that huge steering wheel.
Well, yeah, maybe I can see it too now.

Shoot, I'm still wondering how to get in an out of the other door of an 18 (first) or a 24 (next) when I finally put a top on either...
Oh my.
:-)
Wayne reminds me to ask Andy again for a venture into and out of a Center Door. I'm gonna have problems with them all.
Hope you get your late one Wayne.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 12:10 pm:

Rear fenders are different for each car Touring, sedan, ect. Some are the same. I'm sure someone will pipe up. You can't but repo fenders unless you fiberglass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 12:36 pm:

There are two types of improved Ford passenger car rear fenders. Tudor/Fordor/Touring use one type, and Coupe/Roadster/Pickup use the other.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 02:02 pm:

I have an early (1913) car and two of the improved Fords, a '26 Touring and a '26 Fordor. I completely agree that the early cars are cars you sit on, while the improved Fords are cars you sit in. I find the driver's door in the '26 Touring utterly useless though I have size 13 feet and I'm nearly 6' tall. On the other hand I can easily navigate the driver's door of the Fordor. There is much more legroom in the '13 and in the Fordor than the '26 Touring. The Improved Ford convertible tops are a breeze to use. I have driven a couple '26 Runabouts and find they are better in the area of legroom than is the '26 Touring. If you have any way to do so, I would recommend taking a '26 Runabout for a drive and see how you like it. As a subjective matter, personally I find the '26-7 Runabouts (and Tourings) very attractive cars from an aesthetic perspective. I think I can say this since I own one; the '26-7 Fordors, not so attractive. No matter what you chose to do, you will have fun with a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 02:10 pm:

Dan - I'm used to flying my Comanche (sold it last year) which has just a passenger side door. I'm used to getting in first and out last. Freighter Jim - Yup, it does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 03:14 pm:

Thanks Ed! I knew someone would set me straight. I think I may have the wrong fenders on my touring since they both seem to bend in to the center of the car. Also the tail light and license plate bracket are tilted to the right when you look at them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 04:55 pm:

Con...Looks like a Model A. 'Course Model A's are OK. I have one, but since I have one, I don't need something else that looks like one. Prefer my T's look like T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 07:17 pm:

Tapered springs would be nice

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hoops - Burton,Texas on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 07:42 am:

I have a '22 roadster and a '27 touring. One thing not mentioned is the positioning of the pedals. It is much easier for me to use the reverse pedal on the '27. I have one of those extensions on the '22.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 10:39 am:

No longer have any T but we had three, the oldest a 22. Much preferred driving the 26 roadster and 27 speedster. Some don't like the improved car styling but they are all T's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 10:41 am:

We no longer have any T but had three, the oldest a 22. I much preferred driving the 26 roadster and 27 speedster. Some don't care for the improved car styling but they are all T's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 03:39 pm:

I have a 27 coupe and a 26 fordor sedan. Both ride very well. While the coupe has plenty of legroom for my 6'0" frame; the 26 fordor does not because it was based on the earlier fordor body. I have had earlier T's back as early as a wide track 13 touring. If I could have it or my 16 touring or my 23 depot hack, back; the 13 would be my obvious choice, hands down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 04:04 pm:

I don't care for the 26/27 because they look too much like the Model A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 05:02 pm:

Being a speedster guy there are various items on a 26/27 that are more desireable just as there are parts from earlier cars that are more desireable. Since most seem to say the 26/27 is a better car, it is. Although there are numerous changes I thought it might be interestering to see some that in my mind were an effort to reduce costs.

Wouldn't it be nice if Ford had continued with an aluminum hoggshead, 4 bolt engine mount, 4 rivet ebrake mount, oil slingers on the flywheel, heavier side plate(s), cast brass or steel steering spiders, forged radius rods, lower compression heads, "lighter" running board/fender arms, no standard speedometer, imitation leather upholstery, etc.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration