27 High Nickle Radiator Shell. Is There Brass Underneath?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 27 High Nickle Radiator Shell. Is There Brass Underneath?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 07:00 pm:

I have a "friend" who has a 27 high radiator shell that is nickle. He wants it to be brass. Does he take it and get it brass plated? Does he find a steel one that is black and have it brass plated if they exist? Or is his shell brass underneath the nickle and polishing through the nickle plating will get him his desired brass finish?

Same for headlight trim rings?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike peterson on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 07:03 pm:

magnet will tell u

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 07:05 pm:

Originals nickeled would be brass same as with the head light rims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 08:14 pm:

Try to change your friends mind. If in brass finish it will just be wrong and look terrible and half done.

Looks like a nice shell that I would use as is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 08:31 pm:

If it is nickel plated brass I bet someone here has a need for it and that they may have one were the nickel is worn very thin. I bet with a little advertising your friend could trade and get a little money to boot. JMO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 08:35 pm:

My dad buffed the nickel off the radiator shell of our 26 Fordor in the early 50's. It was a poor man's way to get a brass car. Distinctive as it is I plan to do the car over with the correct goodies attached.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 10:58 pm:

Share these two pictures of my brass radiator shroud, headlights, and side lights. I think he would be happier with just brass on the lights....It really does not look good on a radiator shroud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Oneal Lee on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 11:26 pm:

I have a 26 Coupe that I question the radiator shroud being brass. Since I don't have anyone local to ask I posted a question about it being original. As you can see in my picture it showed very little of nickel. My headlight rings lack any look of nickel. Since my budget is limited, I am going to polish them out. Since there is always "model t police" I will explained it is custom to my liking. Right or wrong it's mine and I'm happy.Neal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 10:28 am:

Neal, If you get the urge (and extra funds) down the road it is easy to get the nickel re-plated. The major consideration is the condition of the underlying shell. The plating on the originals was pretty thin anyways. A good plater will lay down a coat of copper before the bright nickel. That type of finish will last and look great. It cost me about $400 to have the job done. In the mean time, get out and drive the car.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration