Recheck those steering gear case rivets very carefully

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Recheck those steering gear case rivets very carefully
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Ramsey on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 07:33 pm:

Although it has been discussed several times on this forum I thought I would post a picture of what I recently found when doing a careful inspection of my 1925 touring in preparation for the upcoming Mainely T Tour next month. I had noticed that there seemed to be a slight increase in the play in my steering wheel. I went through the usual check starting at the front wheels and working my way through all of the steering components. All appeared to be tight but I did notice a small amount of movement of the steering gear case in relation to the steering column. The rivets both appeared tight but I figured it would be best to remove them, inspect the components and replace the rivets. Even though the top and bottom of both rivets seemed tight in fact on removal one rivet was in three pieces (see picture). Both ends of that rivet seemed tight and did not move until pried with a small screwdriver . The small third piece was in the middle and lodged in the steering gear case. Just reiterating what has been said by many on this forum: Check the rivets carefully and also check for cracks in the column. My column was fine and now I have nice tight steering again. Potential bad situation avoided. Bill
Steering gear rivets

(Message edited by bramz on August 03, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

Dang good advice. Thx Bill, this boy will be checking them carefully.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roy Stone on Thursday, August 03, 2017 - 10:22 pm:

Bill, that gives me a reason to check mine. No doubt was hard to see until you started digging.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 12:13 am:

I love it when a potential disaster is averted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 02:30 am:

Oh my.
Makes sense to me that I ordered/now have some new rivets from Bob's.
I have issues up there as well. Just a bit of looseness/wiggle between the parts at the steering case to the column.
I thank you for reminding me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 05:22 am:

Thank goodness you found that before coming up, we are going to have a couple of fairly long days this year to fit in all our fun and that could really have made it a lot longer if you had an issue!

See you soon!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Ramsey, Bruceton Mills, WV on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 06:06 am:

Mark. We are looking forward to our trip up to Maine and the tour. See you in a few weeks!
Thanks.
Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 12:19 pm:

If these are the two pins at the top where the steering wheel is I just bought two. The guy who had the car before me inserted two straight cotter pins to hold it together. Don't worry I don't drive the car..... yet.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration