FJ - Who else is paying storage for something they may never use ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: FJ - Who else is paying storage for something they may never use ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 08:25 am:

Stopped by Kearney, Nebraska yesterday.

Paid storage unit fee in person - only the second time I had been there since I started renting - had the gal look up when I started renting ...

December of 2013 ....

Complete front sheet metal from the firewall forward for a 1995 F350 .....

Bought it for my last truck - never have had room coming thru to pick it up ...

Who else is paying storage for something they may never use ?

I can't be the only one .....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 09:06 am:

My sister and B.I.L. are paying about $400 a month for storage in Colorado Springs. They live down here in Texas! So far, it's been about six years. I told them long ago to dump the stuff as they would pay more for storage than it would cost to buy new. They didn't listen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 09:15 am:

Goodwill stores my stuff for free. When I go back to pick it up years later, it's all updated to a newer model for a small one-time fee.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 09:19 am:

My lovely wife gave me the answer on this one years ago.. if we haven't touched it in two years..Then its time for it to go...And we can keep it here and out of storage that long..
But I do know some people who are storage poor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 09:49 am:

I have a group of friends who rented a large storage unit for almost 20 years, full of Mopar cars and parts.
In the end, the guy who was supposed to be making the monthly payments didnt, and they lost it all.
With the money they spent on storage over those years, they could have built a nice 4 bay garage for themselves.

I have a designated shed out back that I put stuff I dont constantly use in, and like Steve says, if I havent needed it in a year or two, I'll give it away to a friend who wants it, throw it in the scrap pile, or put it on Craigslist or ebay.

Oddly enough, my local Goodwill, salvation Army or veterans organizations do not accept engine blocks, farm implements and industrial machinery as donations!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 10:46 am:

"if we haven't touched it in two years..Then its time for it to go.."

*Ed walks to his storage shed, opens door, touches his other Model T, goes back to work*

Thanks, Steve :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 11:15 am:

Some years ago we rented a storage unit and filled it with "treasures". After about 2 years of paying the rent I realized I had already spent more than the total value of the contents. We got rid of all of it. The only thing I have missed is paying the rent. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 01:29 pm:

But how many of us have disposed of an item, only to find out that you need it two weeks later? I surely can't be the only one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 01:29 pm:

All the reality shows like Storage Wars and Texas Storage, etc., where they open up the lockers and auction off the goods.

Never just see a car in one of them.

But I know, it's like wrestling. All staged for entertainment, not reality. Someone is going to let the storage fees elapse and loose a Rolex watch to an auction?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 01:30 pm:

Misery loves company F.J.!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 02:10 pm:

No, you are certainly not alone Dennis R :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 02:28 pm:

Dennis,
I had an oil bath air cleaner for a 1950's Ford 6 cylinder high up in the shelves for maybe 30 years. One day I knocked it off accidentally and it dented my motorbike's gas tank.
That was it. I'll never need it, don't know any one who does, so in the trash it went.

Friday morning the trash man hauls it away and on Saturday I stumbled upon and subsequently bought a nice, original '54 Ford truck- three-on-the-tree with a 6 cylinder- guess what was the only part that was missing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 02:34 pm:

My Father used to say that the average American needs a 200 square foot house with a ten thousand square foot garage.
I tend to agree! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 03:55 pm:

Michael -
That 10,000 sg ft garage is a big small.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 04:44 pm:

"If you haven't used it in two years, throw it out" may have some value as an axiom, but in reality? If everybody had lived that way? There wouldn't be more than a few model Ts left in the world. Most real art, and even music would have been lost, because most of it has gone through times when it was not appreciated.
All "stuff", "junk", and pieces of something that someone used to have, need to be given some sort or realistic evaluation. Does it have some value? No value? Or maybe it it really is worth major money to someone that needs it?
And what kind of value? Artistic? Intrinsic? Emotional? Money? Or maybe it is just something that you actually might need someday? I didn't buy those extra crankshafts 45 years ago because I expected to break one within two years! (The fact that I have never ((yet)) broken a crankshaft does not diminish their value.)
Individual circumstances can drive some of us to waste way too much. Others keep trash that should have been thrown out a long time ago.

However, probably a million people in this country make a decent living storing other people's trash. I am not saying that is totally a bad thing? Nor is it a really good thing. Short term storage is a service many people need occasionally. But most of the stuff people pay way to much for long term storage is not worth even a small fraction of the cost.
Simple problem? Not really.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 12:50 pm:

My friend owns some storage buildings and sometimes people quit paying for whatever reason. I help him clean them out. It's never like storage wars on TV. I've got a few good things but it's mostly just junk we pay to take to the dump. I've got 2 storage buildings behind my house so I don't pay, but I hardly go out there but I never throw anything away because every time I do, I'll need it next week. I may not can find what I need half the time, but after I buy another I usually run across it. If you have just a minimal amount of land, you can build a storage building for a year or twos rent.c

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 03:40 pm:

The Pack Rat's corollary to Murphy's Law:
The length of time in which you need something you disposed of is inversely proportional to the length of time you had kept it.
F. J. we have a $35/mo. storage shed That contains our Oak dining room set (antique) and the twin beds from my wife's parent's house--oh and our entertainment center--we have paid far more in storage fees than any of that stuff is worth I need to clear it out--it's just waiting for me to finish the house!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 03:47 pm:

I bought a '22 touring back in 2009 to save it from an uncertain future. This is where it was stored.

I had no immediate plans for it, but I felt good that it was now safe. I put it in a storage stall which I was already renting.

Life happens, deaths, too. Job loss. Things break and need repair, with inadequate funding. The doctor tells you things you never expected to hear about yourself. you do some "recalculating", as the GPS unit might intone.

I sold that car last December. It was the first Model T which I ever sold; until then I had kept every Model T I had acquired. It felt weird. I got over it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 12:33 am:

Few years back when i moved into my current place
I sold and or gave everything i didnt need.
Some thingS i had buy as needed AGAIN but felt good saving that 100 each month

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 01:06 am:

I have two storage units; one an office/warehouse big enough to hold two 50' van trailers full that's costing me $400/month; and a smaller one big enough to park a Class A motor coach in, that's costing me $900/ every 6 months. As soon as I finish my current two projects, I'm having an auction.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration